1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

You're the one Buffy

Discussion in 'Season 7' started by PreferSpike, Feb 14, 2017.

1. PreferSpike

PreferSpike Townie

Is Spike saying she is the one for him or is he saying she is the one to lead them into battle and save the world? Or maybe a bit of both?

2. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I assuming he means the one to lead them into battle since he did say he was telling her, not because he wanted her, but because she was "a hell of a woman". (I can't remember the exact quote).

I always thought the "you're the one" line sounded a bit weird after the "hell of a woman" line because it did sound like Spike was saying she was the one for him but it makes more sense for it to be to lead them into battle.

Puppet likes this.
  3. PreferSpike

PreferSpike Townie

I agree. I like it better for him to be saying she is the one to lead them rather than the one for him. I think if he meant that she was the one for him, it would weaken the meaning of him telling her he didn't want anything from her. He was trying to get her to see how amazing she is and not make it about him. And she said he gave her the strength to go after caleb and get the scythe. It doesn't seem like Buffy to get strength from a man saying he loves her.

Also, she says she doesn't want to be the one. If Spike was saying she was the one for him and she says she doesn't want to be, that stings. I think it makes more sense for her to, at that moment, not want to be the one to lead them into battle.

I

4. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Also when she tells him she loves him, he turns round and says "no you don't but thanks for saying it". That line wouldn't make sense if earlier he'd said she was the one for him. :p

5. PreferSpike

PreferSpike Townie

I found that moment funny and sad at the same time. I do think she loved him! But I think Spike is confident in knowing they don't have a future. Especially in that moment. I am curious to explore their relationship in the comic. As much as I love these two, I don't think the future bodes well for Spuffy. :(

Did you like them bringing him back for Angel? I love that we get more of him but I also kind of love how he went out a hero, quoting a song and laughing as he perished. It was kind of perfect for Spike. And the Cassie prediction coming true was great. That scene where she tells him earlier in the season gave me chills.

6. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I liked that they brought him back so he didn't die but the way he did die was a good ending.

Puppet and PreferSpike like this.
  7. Puppet

Puppet Cor blimey, crikey luv a duck!

I always have difficulty with that, when it's a beloved character. Yes, he got, basically, the perfect ending, the 'heroic' death, if you will, but at the same time, he's a large part of why S5 of Angel is my favorite season, lol.

I find myself dealing with the same dilemma currently, when it comes to Crowley on SPN. Those damn TV dilemmas, lol.

8. TriBel

TriBel Potential

Both - and more. It's the problem with language. It's polyphonic - has multiple meanings and is far more slippery than we think. None of these take precedence - he's saying them all simultaneously. Goes without saying that this is IMO! :)

Firstly, she's the one for him. It's his way of confirming "I love you and I've loved you for a long time now and I know this love is real" (which is actually a Leonard Cohen lyric but never mind) in through the back door. It DOESN'T weaken his argument because he's not asking for anything in return (paradoxically he does get something back but not because he asked - because she volunteers it. And it's not spoken - it's in the visuals).
    Secondly, - and she implies this herself - she's having problems reconciling objective decisions she has to make as the slayer with her feelings as a woman. He's reconciling these two halves in one coherent whole. She's not split - Buffy who happens to be a Vampire Slayer - she's Buffy THE Vampire Slayer - she's ONE.
    Thirdly - as THE Slayer, she's the one to lead.
    What you have to remember is, he's already made a mess of lying about how much chaos there is at the house. He'll tell her anything to make her feel better. He could be lying when he says "I'm not trying to cheer you up". It's framed as performance. What I'm sure of is, he loves her to pieces!

Also - there are conscious and unconscious voices here and there's a fourth allusion but it involves psychoanalytical theory (language slipping beneath the bar) and I'm not doing theory on a Saturday.:)

Attached Files: