• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

#1 Buffy Summers (BTVS) v. #9 Faith Lehane (BTVS)

Who do you like better?

• Buffy Summers (BTVS)

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • Faith Lehane (BTVS)

Votes: 12 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Trick

Scooby
Sounds like more people are choosing Faith than I thought. I vote Buffy. I love them both, but there's no Faith without Buffy. It all starts with her.
Great point! And I am staggered that you voted Buffy considering your love of Faith:p Thanks for the surprise!:)

Its an easy decision for me. I like Faith (on both shows), but Buffy has the greater legacy and will stand the test of time more. SMG's performance might be one of the single greatest acting performances ever.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
I'm full of surprises! lol.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
Definitely Buffy! I love Faith, but I feel she's kinda set up to be liked...sexy, wild, fun, damaged with a good heart, eventually becomes a true hero. Come on, that's gold! However, it's kinda cliche. I mean even Spike and Angel, and Willow went through relatively similar journeys. Buffy however, is the one with the true hero's (not anti hero) journey. She's the most relatable. She balances a real life with saving the world endlessly. She's funny, cute, kickass, and so much else. I would say she's the most well rounded character. Plus, there would be no Buffy without Buffy.

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
You know, I don't really get the whole thing about voting for Buffy because she's the center of the show. If you like her character more than in this case Faith sure, you should definitely vote for her. But because she's more important? What has that to do with which character you like most? I'm not saying it's the wrong thing to do I just need help seeing the logic of it.

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
I guess there is truth in television... Buffy will still be No. 1 while Faith is always second best. (Unless there's a turnaround)

After much consideration I voted for the one and only Buffy...

Mr Trick

Scooby
You know, I don't really get the whole thing about voting for Buffy because she's the center of the show. If you like her character more than in this case Faith sure, you should definitely vote for her. But because she's more important? What has that to do with which character you like most? I'm not saying it's the wrong thing to do I just need help seeing the logic of it.
Because I think the overall legacy should be a factor, and for someone to be so much the focus for so long has to be considered. The only reason you wouldn't vote for Buffy in this case I think is if you just didn't get on with character for quite long periods, or if you did buy into Faith's world view and the performance much more.

I'm almost willing Faith to win this just so that my prediction will come true;)

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
Because I think the overall legacy should be a factor, and for someone to be so much the focus for so long has to be considered.
Thanks for answering. Can't say that I see things the same way. I have no trouble to vote for a character with one or only a few episodes as long as they make an lasting impression on me. Saffron is a good example. But how fun would it be if we all saw things the same way. Each to their own.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Because I think the overall legacy should be a factor, and for someone to be so much the focus for so long has to be considered. The only reason you wouldn't vote for Buffy in this case I think is if you just didn't get on with character for quite long periods
Not nessesarily. You could argue about who's performance you enjoyed the most, who had the best journey of growth as a character. Who's world view/story resonates with you more.
Is screen time really a massive deciding factor in these things? I'm not so sure. On these boards the characters who get the most screentime can sometimes be the most devisive. Malcolm Reynolds beat Xander for example- Fifteen episodes vs. A hundred and forty odd.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Not nessesarily. You could argue about who's performance you enjoyed the most, who had the best journey of growth as a character. Who's world view/story resonates with you more.
Is screen time really a massive deciding factor in these things? I'm not so sure. On these boards the characters who get the most screentime can sometimes be the most devisive. Malcolm Reynolds beat Xander for example- Fifteen episodes vs. A hundred and forty odd.
Fair enough. I guess part of my argument is that because SMG is in every episode for seven seasons then that does present her with a greater challenge acting wise, not least because the character goes through many changes over that time. I just think because of how central she is too then that makes a difference, but I take your point.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I have always found the character of Faith problematic to me. On many surface levels it could be said that I am more similar to Faith than any other character on the show. I say things like 'bad decisions make good stories', I sleep around with guys (then throw them out of my house when I'm done), I smoke and drink too much and my wardrobe tends towards jeans, leather, studs and black. This behaviour comes from my struggle with PTSD and BPD. Behaviour which has all intensified since my boyfriend was murdered. Due to this I usually identity with the role of the 'troubled girl'. When I watched Jessica Jones, I adored her. She did not take pleasure in her pain, she did not enjoy any aspect of it. Life with mental health issues resulting in dangerous behaviour is not sexy, it is not fun. She is afforded a simplistic way in which to atone for her sins. She goes to jail. For torture, multiple murders and robbery. If we assume each season is a year this means she is in jail for just over 2 years before she breaks out. We are also shown pretty clearly that with slayer strength jail is not difficult for Faith. She will not get beaten up, or raped. She will not be picked on. The representation of Faith is problematic to me, for reasons that she is probably extremely romantic and sexy to many others. This isn't to say that enjoying Faith's character is right or wrong. Just extremely different to my views.

I identified with Buffy because we were able to see her inner struggle. There is no questioning that Buffy will always be more pure and chaste than me (not to mention in possession of far bouncier hair). Buffy, however, has far more airtime so we are given the opportunity to see her character experience more. Buffy never feels like a 'character', she always feels like a 'person'. We see the moments that Buffy enjoys life and makes correct decisions, but we also see the moments where she experiences deep shame and embarrassment over her poor decisions. We see Buffy struggle with hangovers, and the awkward moments where you can't find your pants in the morning and she cries when she remembers things she has done. When I think about Buffy she gives me strength and hope. I think about Buffy and I know that sometimes working a shit job is humiliating but "it's money" but the embarrassment is something you can work through. I see Buffy with a hangover, looking as bad as I have felt after nights of overindulgence, but in the next episode she is better and ready to move on. But mostly I think about Buffy and realise "when it's dark, and I'm all alone, and I'm scared, or freaked out or whatever, I always think, 'What would Buffy do?'" *

* Please note - occasionally I do think about what Buffy is wearing... You know. For fashion. Mostly.

Life with mental health issues resulting in dangerous behaviour is not sexy, it is not fun.
I don't beleive it was fun for Faith by the time she woke up from that coma- it was all consequence. She'd lost everything- her own fault- and tried to hide from the choices she'd made.
When that didn't work- even when she was still 'Buffy' she collapsed really quickly into self-hate and mental instability.

She is afforded a simplistic way in which to atone for her sins. She goes to jail.
This has always puzzled me. The only character who actually faces the consequences of the pain and violence she causes and its shrugged away as 'not enough' and 'she didn't stay there' wheras every other murderous character didn't even contemplate facing long-term punishment. It was either 'kill me now' and then they get over it or 'meh'.

If we assume each season is a year this means she is in jail for just over 2 years before she breaks out. We are also shown pretty clearly that with slayer strength jail is not difficult for Faith. She will not get beaten up, or raped. She will not be picked on.
More like close to 3 years later. S4 to late S7.
I'm not sure about jail being a holiday camp if you happen to be able to defend yourself- Faith isn't knife-proof and we know that she was attacked multiple times inside, and also took at least one good beating from the guards. I can't imagine those were the only times.

Also lets say that the restriction of freedom- (which is actually the real punishment of prison, not that you'll be beaten up a lot) must be more difficult for somebody who has an inbuild need to slay/commit violence (Buffy has this too, she gets antsy without her patrols)- instead Faith is prepared to sit there for 25 years (ish) and contemplate her many sins as well as bettering herself through therapy or whatever (on her own). I don't find this simplistic or a 'get out', quite the opposite in comparison to all the other morally murky protagonists of the Buffyverse.
She doesn't have to- she could break out any time- but she does only when needed and is prepared to die to repay the chance that Angel gave her.

I think I'll do another thread about this to canvas opinion. :)

Monkey Pants
Monkey Pants
That would be an interesting thread
ChaseRules
ChaseRules
I like to see that thread myself .

Dolores

Professional sleeper
. There is no questioning that Buffy will always be more pure and chaste than me (not to mention in possession of far bouncier hair).
I thought Faith's hair was way better than Buffy's - especially when Buffy started wearing it super boring style in the last seasons and Faith rocked up in season 7 with her glorious waves. :D Praise the Lord!

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I thought Faith's hair was way better than Buffy's - especially when Buffy started wearing it super boring style in the last seasons and Faith rocked up in season 7 with her glorious waves. :D Praise the Lord!
Faith also had a much more out there look in what she wore as well.:D

Top Bottom