• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

18 things from S1 that are hilariously outdated

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
http://www.bustle.com/articles/1473...season-1-that-are-so-hilariously-outdated-now

I loved this article. Buffy is so timeless, but Season 1 has always stood out as containing the most outdated references (makes sense, it being the eldest I guess) but some of the examples listed in this are hilarious.

James Spader - lol at fancying Ultron! Jenny's crimped hair is probably my absolute favourite though, because that was such a thing back in the 90s. :D

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Haha, that's great. My foster dad actually had a laptop like that one! Or a similar one at least. :D

And come on, don't we miss pale lavender eyeshadow just a little bit? ;)

And haha, at the jab at Buffy's outfit here...
2ed4d010-c9e0-0133-a270-0e55e2be01e5.png
No part of this, from the babydoll tee, to the misplaced beanie, to the miniskirt, to the knee high boots. None of this works now, and I'm frightened to think that any of it would've worked then.

Pretty sure I spent a lot of time looking more or less just like that ;)

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
I think Buffy looks cute! But maybe that says more about my lack of fashion sense. lol
cryptwarmer
cryptwarmer
I think she looks adorable too. But...my daughter was a lot younger than buffy and was doing her mini me impersonation of teen girls then and it was adorable, so I have associations
jellokitty
jellokitty
I like Buffy's outfit^^; Xander's clothes from back then though... *winces* Willow's clothes ranged from adorkable to just nope. lol.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Yea season 1 looks pretty dated. There's moments in season 2 and 3 as well, but I think the low production budget of s1 might have had something to do with it too. The outfits are very 90's! And the computers, well those will always look outdated in any show that is more than a decade old, so I can give it that. I think kids today that don't know what old electronics look like might be a bit more confused. James Spader reference is very outdated, and even feels outdated to me during that time. I can see 80's early 90's maybe. I would think maybe George Clooney would have been a better reference.

Athena
Athena
Mmmmm, George Clooney!
So...basically tech, fashion and make-up? (although good point about Xander's locker, it is indeed as if Offspring exploded inside his locker...also eew)

I love Season 1 but yeah, its a little more dated in tv land, but I could point to more glaring examples of same in later season. The depiction of gypsies in S2 and later, some of Xander's quips to Cordelia are wince-inducing these days, even the rape-as-plot device of S6 is incredibly jarring and dated in comparison to the serious way it gets treated now.

Killing off the lebian love-interest though? Timeless apparently. :rolleyes:

Blaze
Blaze
LMAO at the last line! *internally sobs*

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
There was a point in the late nineties when every guy looked like this though:

Minus, y'know, the bumpy forehead and fangs.... although I was pretty inebriated back then, so maybe I just never noticed.... ;)

Willow also wore dungarees in one episode. I think a more interesting question would be how modern technology would have solved some of the problems that arose in Buffy. For example when Willow went missing because she went off with a guy, Buffy could've just called her mobile to find out where she was.

Scary and Veiny

Darth Rosenberg
The computers of Season 1 were pretty hilarious, though I do recall playing with one at the library as a kid that looked a lot like that.

The pale lavender eyeshadow can still work if you've got the right skintone though. :p

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
When I saw the main photo on the article, I thought for sure they'd point out that spikey headband thing Buffy wore, which just screams '90s to me.

Another favorite nostalgia moment is Willow's Squeezeit.

Top Bottom