• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

1999: Your Memories

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Those of us that were both born and remember 1999, what do you remember of it?

I was 12 in 1999! Finishing my first year of high school and going into my second. I read Harry Potter for the first time this year, it was our English class book during my first year (98/99).

I loved the film Entrapment, and all the drama that the Millennium was going to cause.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I was 10 (I'm so dreadfully old) and still living in my first house (we moved two years later).

I was a student at the school I went to the longest (4½ years), hanging out with friend A.K. and Cecilie and jamming out to Nsync :D

I was watching Buffy (duh) and Dawson's Creek and Beverly Hills 90210.

I went (back) to Poland that fall for vacation (we always went during the fall season, instead of the summer) for the hundredth time.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I remember Ole scoring the winner against Bayern. I remember everyone panicking about the millennium bug. The attitude era. Watching a pirated copy of the South Park movie a million times. It was a good year.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Well I remember watching a pirated copy of Fight Club, so great minds think a like!

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
For me '99 was the end of an era at work.
It's a small company and like half of my co-workers quit that year.
All of sudden we got a some new, younger guys, that look at me for guidance instead for me being the youngest.
Life hasn't been as easy as it used to be since then. lol

The millennium bug of course.
Hats of to all the hard work people put in for that to work out. Just so people could laugh and say; Hey, nothing happened. What was the big deal?

I had never heard of Buffy and even less Angel.
Only TV shows I watched back then was basically Friends, X-Files and Babylon 5.
Was more of a movie guy back then. Today it's the opposite.

/SK

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I was in high school trying to avoid progressing to senior band so I wouldn't have to come to school on a Saturday. I had seen Buffy but not Angel at that stage. I was watching Dawsons Creek and Friends. We spent our lunchtimes watching performances from other students and teachers and my nights were filled with gymnastics and dance. Life was great before 2000, much less terror in the world.

We had a relief teacher called Mr Yik who we nick named "Y2K" and he used to go on these massive rants with his very strong foreign accent "YOU THINK YOU FUNNY BUT YOU NOT! YOU THINK YOU SOME KIND OF ROCK STAAAARR..... BUT YOU NOT!!!

2000 was the start of a real crappy period of life that has only just ended. 1999 was the last year of my innocent childhood.

Professor Walsh
Professor Walsh
School on Saturdays?!?

sosa lola

Scooby
I was 15. I bought the Backstreet Boys' 3rd album: Millennium, and used to jam to the song Larger Than Life everyday. I also sang "The Perfect Fan" to my mother who didn't (still doesn't) understand a word of English and was just nodding along. My cousins and I had our fave Backstreet Boy and would only sing his part: mine was Nick Carter.

I remember being obsessed with Fresh Prince and Mad About You. And my parents used to warn us not to watch Friends because it was too dirty for us. We used to watch it in secret.

Puppet
Puppet
My sis' fave was Nick, too :D

katmobile

Scooby
I had my first job that wasn't a McJob that year. I was living in Liverpool. I saw the episodes I Fall to Pieces and Somnambulist around a friend's 🏠 . It was the year I got into Buffy really after becoming intrigued half watching Lie to Me as hubbie had it while I played Final Fantasy VI and I saw two season four episodes Fear Itself and Doomed before watching season three so I knew I had Faith and Wesley to meet. The Y2K bug worry. I actually know someone who worked to prevent that and it cheeses me off when you get these media goons say well that was a fuss about nothing wasn't it. Yeah because people took it seriously and worked to prevent it.

Nix

🤪
Sineya
I was in the wine trade, mostly drunk of hungover lol .... I was about 18 ish LOL ...

katmobile

Scooby
Oh yes musically it was the year of Fatboy Slim and Moby's Play album. When a year later I heard Praise You during The Prom when I watched season three on the BBC a year later I was really happy.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
1999 was the year my experimenting with rave/club culture and drugs ended. I was listening to a lot of Sasha, Digweed, Seaman and djs like that. I went to San Francisco for new years 2000 and fell in love with a young woman out there. Her and my experiences caused me to become very interested in the gothic sub-culture. I finished high school in 99 and went to the University of Denver and tried (and failed) to walk-on to the lacrosse team. I think around that time I got really into Everquest (the computer mmo game) too. The X-Files was by far my favorite show. In the summer of 99 after school I road tripped with some friends to New Orleans.

Blaze
Blaze
Jeez way to make me feel yound, I was 7 in 1999!

Btvs fan

Scooby
In 1999 I remember hearing about the Millennium bug and how it was gonna effect all the computers around the world 🧐😕

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
I remember:

-Y2K bug being talked about nonstop in the news
-Brandi Chastain took her jersey off after scoring the winning penalty for the world cup.
-AIM was just taking off.
-Blink-182 Enema of the State album came out. Adams song and All the Small Things were really popular.
- Beepers or pagers were all the rage.
-People were into the bending over backwards Matrix move.
-I think I watched a lot of 7th Heaven that year.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I was thirteen turning fourteen and in my second year of high school (high school in Australia is Years 7 - 8). I remember:
  • Y2K and my father, who worked in IT, trying to explain it to me and I just didn't get it
  • 5ive, Britney Spears, B*Witched
  • Geocities sites, Yahoo lists, Yahoo chatrooms
  • Dial-up internet
  • VC Andrews; I discovered Flowers In The Attic that year
  • Friends, we were all obsessed with Friends at that point
  • The transition from walkmans to discmans
  • Glitter gel pens, they were everywhere that year

Puppet
Puppet
5ive <3
spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
Britney!
S
sosa lola
5ive!!!! I loved them so much!!!

thrasherpix

Scooby
It was my second year of high school, though I'm honestly not sure what grade I was in. I was in a special class with delinquents after I spent about 6 months on the streets as a runaway. Then Columbine happened (not at my school) and everyone went in panic mode. For reasons I don't care to explain (it was trivial and ridiculous, though, and teachers have agreed with me since then) the faculty came down hard on me and tried to have me put back in a horrid, abusive mental hospital, so I ran away for a second time. My goal was to get to Los Angeles where I believed I'd find people who I'd been a runaway with in Houston.

It never happened which I'm sure was for the best, though if I had then it might be interesting to contrast my actual experiences with how street kids were portrayed in Angel: the Series.

This was initially a surprisingly wonderful time as I got myself from Texas to California. I was expecting all sorts of badness but it was good. First an old man drove me in his big truck, but rather than being a perv he was nice to me and asked me things as he was trying to get along with his daughter in college and could not understand her or her dislike of him (whereas I'd have killed to have someone like him for a father). He was indulgent and I liked how he casually explained things (for example, when we stopped in Corpus Christi I saw several hypodermic needles splashing against the sea wall in a huge mass, to which I marveled that "there sure are a lot of junkies to which he explained that was an illegal dump from some private company that disposed of those needles from the local hospital). He gave me useful info that I used on later road trips to avoid speed traps, too.

He had to drop me off outside of Phoenix, but he gave me $20 and told me I-10 would get me to LA. But I lucked out again at the place he dropped me off at, and I was soon taking the "scenic route" with Deadheads up 93 and passed through Las Vegas and then the desert and then into California, including by Mt. Shasta that I thought was beautiful (being stoned made it more so). It was all beautiful to me, as was where the trip ended.

They lived in Humboldt County where I started house hopping with various stoners as well as camping by fog shrouded beaches and in glorious redwoods. I was stoned a lot that summer...I vaguely recall how one lady trying to take our order had the patience of a saint as we all kept breaking out in laughter every time we tried (we'd get serious, but the moment we started then we laughed all over again).

It had to end with something nightmarish that I don't want to share, but will say that it involved a man who had delusions of being a vampire. Other than that, I was forced to leave and as I was scared of this man following me I headed north since he'd expect me to head south to LA (right about this time the first episode of Angel had aired, possibly the second, though I was unaware of the show at the time), and I almost made it to Oregon (my goal) before I was forced to go to the beach and ended up staying with others that helped me turn my life around (helping me get a GED, etc). Angel might be inspired by some of them, and rightfully worried about others that I got involved with (and who took an interest in me).

I turned 17 that October.

And I remember Y2K. I didn't believe it would happen (certainly didn't believe the paper that had pix of "Russian tanks waiting to invade just south of the Mexican border") but wished it would as it would be much harder for the police to ever find out who I was. As scary as things could be at times, nothing was scarier to me than being put back into that mental hospital.

It was an eventful year with that "road trip" was one of the best memories of my youth.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Wolves ov Siberia
Black Thorn
I discovered Talk Soup with John Henson that year. I was utterly and completely hooked on that show!!! I was a Soup Siren, a total fan. ❤

sLIvGcF.jpg

A telenovela called Vivo Por Elena had me glued to the tv for months! A character named Sylvia was my absolute favourite.

BHK4WZf.jpg

I went on a crazy diet and lost so much weight, it was crazy. I was totally anorexic and hungry all the time. But it was such a high.

I was celibate that entire year. It's really good for the soul, actually.

I got hooked on circus peanuts. They were like a drug...even now, when I open a bag and smell them, I kind of swoon. Weird!

I discovered Farscape on the Sci Fi Channel.

Airam
Airam
I looooved talk soup! And where are you from that you are hookable on telenovelas? I am puerto rican 😊

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I was thirteen turning fourteen and in my second year of high school (high school in Australia is Years 7 - 8)
I'm an idiot, that was meant to be Years 7 - 12. My brain has wandered off today, not sure where it went :rolleyes:

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
his daughter in college and could not understand her or her dislike of him (whereas I'd have killed to have someone like him for a father). He was indulgent

I have a theory, over indulgent (absent) parents drain the adrenals. A close family friend saw a baby pic of me the other day. He said I was the smiley-est baby he had ever seen, and asked what happened haha. I said I ran out. There is only so much a person can fake. And when a person is unwell, what is everyone's go-to support cop out? Gifts. They start to cause panic because you've just run out of juice to feed the response people expect. Absent/indulgent parents are like leeches, they only want the joy reacts, nothing else. They get angry if you respond in spew instead of smiles and over the top thanks. There is really only so much a person can take of anything, good or bad.

I'm an idiot, that was meant to be Years 7 - 12. My brain has wandered off today, not sure where it went :rolleyes:

You confused me too! I was in my second year of high school - year 9 in 1999 (which I always thought was a bit cool, yr1=91, yr2=92 etc, It makes it easy to keep track!). I turned 14 in September 99.

I was listening to Silverchair, powderfinger and the dawsons creek soundtrack haha.

Last edited:
T
thrasherpix
Perhaps I should replace "indulgent" with "easygoing" as when we crossed the state line (a federal crime with me beside him) he let me get out to dance about it, as just one example. He also let me order the food I wanted, his treat.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
I was a white hot mess. Seemed like all I did was cry and sleep. Could barely even make it out of bed. Was so bad my parents had to take care of me. Can't stand to look at pictures of myself from back then. So embarrassing. :oops:

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Life giving me the best gift - my brother.

Also,
*steals from @brinkster130 *
-Y2K bug being talked about nonstop in the news
-Blink-182 Enema of the State album came out. Adams song and All the Small Things were really popular.
-People were into the bending over backwards Matrix move.

Top Bottom