• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

1999: Your Memories

Mr Trick

Scooby
I was 18/19. I was a big wrestling fan at the time (still am, but much prefer watching the older stuff now). The attitude era was in full bloom and I was enjoying it (when you factor in WCW and ECW it was pretty exciting). But looking back there was a lot of shit wrestling during that period. I do remember going to WWF UK only PPV Rebellion which was a very enjoyable show with a proper atmosphere.

I listened to a lot of dodgy indie bands back then probably most of them I regret now. I remember seeing Cruel Intentions at the cinema and enjoying Sarah Michelle Gellar's performance a lot (and that was before I was into Buffy;)). Another highlight at the cinema was Cronenberg's eXistenZ (one of his better later films).

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
@Mr Trick That's cool! Never seen the Beastie Boys live but would love to.

You wouldn't be able to now, I'm afraid. Adam Yauch (MCA) died from cancer in 2012. :(

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Oh right shit, forgot about that. Want to check out the book about then which came out last year.

DagonSphere

Potential
I was 11 and turned 12 in November of 1999. I was already a big fan of Buffy, but I am not sure if it was the second or third season that aired in Germany that year. Angel didn't premiere until January 2001 when my Buffyverse fandom level was at its height.

I was in elementary school (5th/6th grade), I collected comics and manga (not so much anymore), and I had a horrible taste in music. Basically, I liked everything that was in the charts and it wasn't until much later that I actually developed my own tastes, without having whatever was popular at the time decide what I should like.

Most from the time is now fairly blurry.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Basically, I liked everything that was in the charts and it wasn't until much later that I actually developed my own tastes, without having whatever was popular at the time decide what I should like.
This was me too, it was very pop, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Boyzone, Spice Girls, I had so many cassette singles as they were cheaper than buying cds!

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I was big into cassettes too. I hear their making a comeback, wow!
Puppet
Puppet
It was clever of you not to mention Nsync as they are clearly still good music today :P
S
Stephan
Oh god, so many memories... I had forgotten that the Spice Girls existed!

Echo126

Townie
I was 8 (turned 9 in December) I lived in Puerto Rico and would go to the beach a lot with my family and friends. I remember always wanting to dress up as the pink ranger....i hate pink but i just didnt know i had a crush on her then. 😂

I was also very much into NSync, Backstreet boys, Christina aguilera, spice girls, Spanish music, and more. I loved riding my bike and playing legos. 😁

Professor Walsh

Feminist slayerette
Black Thorn
Oh, how glad I am that you asked. I was just thinking about -99, when I was in my early Twenties, on my first really big solo adventure. in April -99, I was in Edinburgh, living the highs and lows that is the life of an exchange student.

S
Stephan
What was the balance? More highs than lows? I hope so!

Annie Hall

Bangel/Spuffy... Loving love
I was a teenager and I got sick of hearing "Baby one more time" over and over and over again.

KatrinaL

"I'm not strong. I'm not an Amazon. I'm just me."
I was 9, so I basically have no memories of 1999... prob I was doing kids stuff, I guess.

sosa lola

Scooby
I was a teenager and I got sick of hearing "Baby one more time" over and over and over again.

This is my daughters' favorite song at the moment. If I wanted to call them for dinner, I just blast this song from Youtube and they'd rush towards me from wherever they are.

Mylie

Scooby
I was 11, finishing elementary school, reading Harry Potter and in love with Leonardo Dicaprio.

katmobile

Scooby
I was coming off the Britpop wagon although I did have a copy of the Blur album with Song 2 and Beetlebum on it.

Kratos

Scooby
I was 12/13, finishing primary school and starting secondary school. I didn’t know Buffy or Angel even existed back then, but I watched a lot of other shows every week (mainly soaps).

Got a Dreamcast and loved playing Sonic Adventure. The graphics blew me away, especially since I went from owning a Mega Drive to Dreamcast.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
I was 36.....yes I really am that old! I was totally hooked on this show on TV called Buffy the Vampire Slayer & working in IT for British Airways.

I spent pretty much all of that year testing & implementing Y2K bug fixes......The Techies had been working for 4 years to identify all the segments of code that needed fixing & make the changes (Think it was somewhere in the region of 35,000 segments) so the night went without a hitch.

Contrary to all the scaremongering in the press no Aircraft were going to drop out of the sky at midnight.....there just wouldn't have been any flightplans, weather maps, checkin, ticket allocation, bookings, or Air traffic control....so no one would have been flying anyway!

Btw....if anyone is at all interested I can explain what the Y2K bug was all about in simple terms..... :)

K
katmobile
Yay someone older than me I was 27

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I remember being sad, as I turned 26 and knew, as I was still alive, I would never be a famous rock star. True story.

I can't remember much else. I think it was sometime that year that I was still seeing a shrink and I decided to stop taking my meds and had some kind of dissociative episode as a result. On the plus side, never went back to the shrink (from what I recall)

B
Btvs fan
As a Rockstar its 27 not 26 you need to watch out for 🤓
Octavia
Octavia
Hey that's me now! 'cept Im Jesus' age instead ;)

Oakland Girl

Supergirl
omg... I suddenly feel (very) old.
1999. Was 11/12 that year and I think we lived in Norway that time. Or USA. Not sure anymore.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Just saw a spice girls video and oh the bubblegum pink lipstick! I wasn't wearing it in 1999, but a few years later!

Top Bottom