• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Episode Discussion 2.11 "Getting Closer" - aired 8/1/10 (FOX-US)

Tasha

Dn'* letthespacebugsbite!
Sineya
Is it okay if i make this thread so early? :p
I'm still a Little confused so tell me if i've gotten anything wrong!

"Getting Closer"

Waow what an episode!
what i liked ;
- The flashbacks of how Caroline and Bennett becoming friends.
- The flashbacks of how Caroline really became an active..
- Sierra and Victor leaving the house together.
-Topher lets Ivy go.

God i should of saw this coming..
Joss always breaks up his relationships.

Bennett Halverson and Topher Brink - They're so cute together.
Haha at when they finally kiss, 'Ow! I'm sorry. Ow ow! I'm sorry. Ow! I'm sorry. Ow ow! I'm sorry.'
So sad when Bennett gets shot in the head by Dr Saunders :(
Poor Topher, he was traumatized. He could finally love a human being, (as claire said) :(
Broke my heart when he was saying ' We can bring her back, we can bring her back'
:(
Although he does make a joke at the end.
'Stay back! I've imprinted myself with many uselful skillz! You don't even wanna know'
HAHA.

Boyd and Dr Claire Saunders - Claire returns to the dollhouse,
turns out she's been with Boyd for some time, and together as a couple...

Turns out Rossum found her months before? and what imprinted her? i'm still a little confused on this( about her and Boyd.)

I hope Sierra and Victor do have a happy ending.

At the end of this ep, we finally see the leader of Rossum..
Although Boyd was really his partner?

Is Boyd the bad guy? I wanna know what he is really up to.
God i hate cliff hangers!
aha.

Dollhouse - Episode 2.11 - Getting Closer - Promotional Photos | Spoiler TV

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
:jaw_drop:
Have no idea what I want to say about this episode at the moment, but I really need to see the next one!

Must be my favorite episode so far, was hooked from the beginning. So much things happend, many suprises.
Can't wait for it to continue.

/SK

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
Bennet being shocked was no surprise. Someone had to die. We all knew that. So typical Joss. He sets it up for something good and it ends in disaster. And since they had to rush the ending it all happened way too fast. As soon as Saunders came into the room and started talking about being the best it felt certain what was gonna happen.

The ending was a surprise though. Even if it felt like it should be someone we knew I didn't see it being him. And I agree with Tasha. The flashbacks were nice. Can't wait for the next episodes.

Flannen

Flannix
Oh. My. Goodness.

Wow, seriously. I just sat open mouthed for about give minutes. Boyd?! Boyd?! I'm in shock. This is just...I DID NOT see that coming.

I need to go and breathe for a few minutes before I can actually say anything else.

W
Willow-Tree
Give minutes? :P
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Me too. I was super shocked.

Misty

It was good, I'm glad Dr. Saunders came back. It was surprising that she killed Bennet, but I wasn't very upset because I never like her that much, I like Summer Glau though. Also I wanted Dr. Saunders to get with Topher.

MinwaraYana

Countess Von Drunkaton
I'm speechless too. I'm shocked 10 times more than
Angel
being Twilight. I'll watch it again with sober mind soon and then I'll post my thought.

And if you guys don't know, that random doll is Rick Fox, Eliza Dushku's boyfriend in real life. ;)

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Oops! Watch the spoilers!

Emzzie

Care Bear With Fangs
It was AMAZING. I loved that we got to see some scenes from the flashbacks in Epitah One. I cant help it, I was shocked when Saunders killed Bennet. One minute they were talking and then it was like WHA? WHA HAPPENED? I felt terrible for Topher. Boyd. I'm really confused about Boyd. I did not really understand it honestly. Could someone explain? Was he a doll and Rossum was imprinted into him or was he just working for him?

Tasha

Sineya
Boyd. I'm really confused about Boyd. I did not really understand it honestly. Could someone explain? Was he a doll and Rossum was imprinted into him or was he just working for him?
Yeah i'm confused about Boyd too...
I guess we'll just have to wait until the next episode :/
Hopefully that'll get explained (i'm sure it will)
eek!

MinwaraYana

Countess Von Drunkaton
Ok, I feel better about Bennett got killed now. But do you think it's getting old that Joss kills his characters off like this? Especially the ones that are in relationship. I won't be surprised if Victor or Sierra will die in the next episodes.

This episode is so intense. Like Tasha and The Kinslayer said, the flashbacks are great. I like how they put them along the episode and ended with Boyd walking out of the shadow, at the same time Echo was imprinted as Caroline. I wasn't shocked about Boyd much. He has some parts of him that make me never trust him.

Aww, Bennett is(or may I say 'was') so sweet. She's much more likeable than in the 5th and 6th episode. And the old Bennett that was Caroline's roomie was even cool. She really loved her friend. My heart broke when Caroline tells her to run and she says "I won't". At least, we've known that Caroline didn't leave her as in b*tchy way as they made us think in The Left Hand.

Again with Caroline's old habit. I wonder how many times or how many people that got hurt by her stubborn-ness(Her boyfriend, Bennett, etc.). I know she loved to help people and animals, but she always forgot about what might happen if she doesn't stick to the plan.

Hmmm, what is November doing here? As well as Victor and Sierra. I hope to see they have more scenes in the next episode. So Priar and Anthony finally got out of Dollhouse, but I'm sure they will be back soon. I love the hugs, though. :)

And what did Saunders do that for? She's jealous? Or she hates Topher that much that wants to take anything away from him? Or it's a part of Boyd's plan?

Topher letting Ivy go is touching.

Eww, that Rossum guy grossed me out. "I'm Clyde Randall II, well, the V, actually. I used a lot of body" and the way he talks and acts like a nerdy sweet guy. *vomits*

My favorite quote from this episode is "Her left arm may be dead, but she's got a terrific right cross...if anyone ask." I became Bennett/Topher shipper completely. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1oMN2J9gRo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1oMN2J9gRo[/ame]

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I really didn't see the Boyd twist coming, that was such a shock! I loved this ep though. It really moved along nicely, even if it was confusing, but then I'm usually confused by Dollhouse. I want to see the next ep, I need answers. :p

Flannen

Flannix
Ok, I feel better about Bennett got killed now. But do you think it's getting old that Joss kills his characters off like this? Especially the ones that are in relationship. I won't be surprised if Victor or Sierra will die in the next episodes.
Yeah, I was discussing with a friend earlier and basically said it's come to be his style and he was never really a writer to give the fans what they want to stop it being predictable, except now that's become predictable and it is very much 'getting old'.

Ok, so a few thoughts I've managed to form:

Totally gutted that what they took from Paul was what we thought. It was awful to see how much that hurt Echo. I hope he somehow manages to overcome it, you can't erase a soul right? ;) And Echo watching Mellie with Paul was super cute cos she was totally jealous!

I didn't actually think that what Caroline did to Bennett warrants the hatred she has for her. If she hadn't have done that, then she wouldn't be where she was, she'd been in the Dollhouse or dead probably. Sure, she did kind of use her but that didn't seem to bother Bennett. Caroline couldn't let the building come down with those people in it. She gave Bennett the chance to say she was working late and that Caroline would be the only one caught? That's the way I see it anyway.

I still can't get over Boyd. And it just doesn't make sense, playing back moments from the rest of the show in my head. He's either one hell of an actor or there's something else going on. At the moment, it seems to me that they knew what would happen with 'Echo' and they sent her in to, what? Bring down their own company?! I'm still baffled on that. Lol, my friends wondered what on earth had happened when I went downstairs because I looked visibly shocked. A couple of my friends haven't started season two yet and it's killing me that I know and they don't!

Funnily enough, when Claire killed Bennett, not a thought about her being made a sleeper or something crossed my mind. I did, and still kind of do, think that she did simply cos of her hatred for Topher. She couldn't see him happy.

Loved the small scene with Adele trying to get Topher to fix the wedge and the appearance of Dominic throwing back to The Attic.

I'm so stoked for the next two episodes, going to be awesome.

Willow-Tree

Your Childhood Trauma
DEFINITELY one of the best episodes so far, if not the best.

Some of my thoughts, which are still jumbled:

I was so excited for the re-appearence of Dr. Saunders, but something about her just seems different, and it was irking me, especially since she's my favorite character. I honestly did like Bennett, and was sad and shocked when Claire shot her in the head, especially in front of Topher.

Boyd - WOW! I still think he deeply cares for the well-being of Echo, but seeing him as one of the heads of Rossum (Or Rossom?) was incredibly surprising.

I think this hatred and fear of Caroline is a little too much. She doesn't even seem that bad.

StuckinTraffic

Miss Treager
I just starting watching this ep, so I didn't read the thread, hoping to not get spoiled (altho, I did manage to see Boyd's name a couple of times! What's up with THAT?) Just wanted to comment if anyone caught the cool Firefly/Serenity nod at the beginning during the first flashback.....River, "I can kill you with my brain." Heeeeee. I did a little Joss fangirl squee.

Ok, that's all. :)

F
faeriegrrl27
Totally caught that! And loved it!
Rack
Rack
Oh I guess you did mention this earlier in the thread. I was too excited LOL
Am I the only one who found it obvious what was going to happen to Bennet while Dr. Saunders was approaching her? I was still shocked when it happened, though. I cried with Topher, so Whedon, Minear, and the crew still know how execute these deaths in a fresh way methinks. I'll gladly be the thousandth person to say this: Boyd! I should have known!

I agree Willow-Tree, Caroline isn't such a "bitca" really. I was sure back when Caroline left Bennet behind in the flashback in "The Left Hand" that it was just Bennet's perception of how things went down. Turns out I was right!

Kanazaka

Potential
I'm looking forward to getting to know how Caroline first discovered Rossum's unethical experiments and--more importantly--why she felt that she needed to become a self-described terrorist in order to stop those experiments. Two episodes doesn't seem like quite a lot of time to answer those questions, but I hope that the creators do answer them. I'm also surprised that Boyd is a Rossum partner who has big plans for Caroline, but it makes sense if I reason that the only way that he could keep an eye on Caroline was to become her handler.

T
Tasha
[No message]

Tasha

Sineya
Yeah i know! Echo was trying not to get bennette caught too, i dunno why she hated echo so much, except from the fact she left her lying there in pain.. :p

I really don't have a clear explanation on why Dr Saunders shot Bennette.

A - She was jealous of Topher falling in Love with Bennette, and not her? Even when she threw herself at him in "Vows" he rejected her(even though she never wanted to sleep with him anyways) :p

B- Boyd told her to do it?

- Maybe because Bennette was helping Topher get Carolines Personna back? and Claire was sent to kill her as they didn't want to exspose the leader of Rossum?(as Caroline was the only person who had saw him and lived to tell)

I don't know ahhhhhhhhhh.

Oh and about what Flannen said about the idea of them sending Caroline in undercover to bring down their own company,
and that would make sense about Boyd being her handler and keeping an eye on her...

pfftt I wanna see the next episode to clear things up ;) :p
haha...

I just can't see Boyd being the bad guy though :p
I'm hoping there is a big explanation for it all ^^

Josh Raven

Townie
What the ****? God no! It hurts! So much. Damn it, why. Poor Topher.

Greatest twist of all times. That Boyd thing.

I'm going to cry now.

T
Tasha
Ha Yeah tis sad,,,,, i <3 topher

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Oh. My. Goddess!

I SO did not see that coming!!

I loved this episode, as I've loved every single episode of this season. I hate that it got cancelled.

I knew as soon as Saunders walked into the office and started talking that she was gonna kill Bennett, she was way too calm.

So, this is the act that 'breaks' Topher, huh? We can see echoes here of how he is in 'Epitaph One' with Adelle, and it breaks my heart all over again.

Mellie's back! I loved her in S1, I was annoyed that they got rid of her.

I liked seeing the real memory of the Bennett/Caroline thing, and finding out the real reason Caroline left her, to save Bennett rather than her own skin. I'm liking Caroline a lot more than I did.

Is Boyd the bad guy? Has he been in control of everything all along? I guess it would make sense, getting himself in a position to be Echo's handler, then being promoted to head of security, ousting Dominic, and if Saunders was really a sleeper agent, he's the perfect person to work on that.

I'm really not handling this at all well right now. Boyd being the bad guy, the Twilight revelation, it's all too much for my brain to process right now.

Add to that that I think I have a crush on Adelle, and Lyri's head is about to pop. :lmao:

Josh Raven

Townie
Just watched the trailer for the next episode. Boyd didn't seem to be the big bad, but... I don't know. I was thinking that it makes sense that Boyd programmed Whiskey to do that... but perhaps Whiskey just really really hates Topher.

Epitaph One gets a whole new meaning. In fact the entire series gets a whole new meaning. I feel like I'm supposed to watch the series again so I could see if there is any careful foreshadowing for what Boyd became. I thought I had a good grasp on the series... but I was so wrong. I honestly thought he was just a shady cop, something like Ballard but gone much more low.

I remember how I always wondered if they get to have any background episode for Boyd. Now I know. And I didn't want to know that... but it is awesome.

Plus the whole Twilight thing. Too much in one week.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Agreed. This weekend has been hell for Whedonites!

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
Well, it's my opinion that Joss will never let us have a happy relationship. I don't believe for one moment that Victor and Sierra won't be back. I can see them coming back to help out Echo and getting killed by accident. They're too happy. Something bad has to happen, a la typical Joss-style. It was sweet of Echo to let them leave, though. She really believes in their love.

This episode is so intense. Like Tasha and The Kinslayer said, the flashbacks are great. I like how they put them along the episode and ended with Boyd walking out of the shadow, at the same time Echo was imprinted as Caroline. I wasn't shocked about Boyd much. He has some parts of him that make me never trust him.
I thought this ep started out kind of slow, but it totally picked up quickly. I found a few of the flashbacks a bit confusing, but I think upon a second viewing I'll understand it all better.

I was completely shocked about Boyd. The fact that he has been working for Rossum this whole time just blew my mind. Great twist. Basically, if I am correct, Boyd contacted Caroline to be put into the Dollhouse so he could what, use her to infiltrate? Learn their secrets? The thing that upsets me the most is how much he appears to care for and trust Echo and her abilities. It makes me wonder if it's been an act the whole time. Their handler/doll relationship was one of the things I loved most about Season 1 (reminded me of Giles/Buffy) but now, in light of this recent development, it all seems like a sick act on his part.

Aww, Bennett is(or may I say 'was') so sweet. She's much more likeable than in the 5th and 6th episode. And the old Bennett that was Caroline's roomie was even cool. She really loved her friend. My heart broke when Caroline tells her to run and she says "I won't". At least, we've known that Caroline didn't leave her as in b*tchy way as they made us think in The Left Hand.
I like Bennet, too. Summer is so pretty, isn't she?

I was starting to think, until Bennet showed up, that Topher was completely not interested in girls at all. Or guys for that matter. Or anyone.

Until she came along, he hadn't shown an interest in anyone romantically. It was funny when he said he had a crush on her even before he knew she was a girl :)

And then there's....Caroline. I hate her more now then I ever have. I hope to God she never comes back. Echo doesn't want her back, and neither do I. She was/is so obsessed with bringing down Rossum that she doesn't care who she hurts or screws over in the process. She's reckless and hot-headed. She reminds me of Faith in Season 3.

Again with Caroline's old habit. I wonder how many times or how many people that got hurt by her stubborn-ness(Her boyfriend, Bennett, etc.). I know she loved to help people and animals, but she always forgot about what might happen if she doesn't stick to the plan.
Caroline is a poor excuse for a "revolutionary" or "activist" or whatever the hell she considers herself to be. She makes stupid decisions for the 'greater good' as she sees it (alerting the public to the atrocities undergone at Rossum) but like you say, doesn't think things through properly.

Hmmm, what is November doing here? As well as Victor and Sierra. I hope to see they have more scenes in the next episode. So Priar and Anthony finally got out of Dollhouse, but I'm sure they will be back soon. I love the hugs, though. :)
Agreed. I was confused about November as well although glad to see her back with Paul where I believe she belongs (I've been a Mellie/Paul 'shipper from the beginning) What is she doing at the DC DH?

And what did Saunders do that for? She's jealous? Or she hates Topher that much that wants to take anything away from him? Or it's a part of Boyd's plan?
I think she did it because she felt like she needed revenge on Topher. What she said about him not acknowledging others around him as people is a hint I think to how she feels regarding him.

Topher letting Ivy go is touching.
Definitely the least he could do after treating her like his personal slave (not his assistant, as she is) and ignoring the obvious feelings she had for him.

I wasn't surprised that Topher removed Paul's love for Echo. It's sad, though, to see her reaction to that. I think she really loves him.

Pretty shocking to see Claire/Saunders kill Bennet in cold blood like that, arguably only to spite Topher. Sure. Bennet was nuts, but it's so typical of Whedon to kill off someone's love interest. *sigh*

I was a Claire/Topher shipper, but at this point, I don't ship anyone with Topher. It's clear that Bennet's death has had a serious effect on him. Who knows if he'll make it out of this unscathed.

All and all, great episode I thought. Can't wait until next week!

F
faeriegrrl27
[No message]
MinwaraYana
MinwaraYana
[No message]
W
Willow-Tree
Um... Topher and Claire had sex... sorry, but your statement has been proven false. :P
Top Bottom