• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

20 things (or less) you'd like to see in an ANGEL reboot

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
I notice a lot of people on here don't want Spike on the show, though S5 is widely regarded as the best season on the show, in no small part to him but leaving that aside. The big irony being that James Marsters fell out with the Producer Kelly Manners over the fact that Ats didnt care about performing the material that much.
It's on YouTube at some convention where he does an impression "Don't give a hoot just shoot shoot shoot" and Charisma says that's Kelly to which JM says don't say his name. Unless there's another Kelly I'm guessing that's Manners. It would also make sense regards his accent being on and off in the last few episodes. There was also a report from another fan (from another meet and greet) who'd said he was actually looking to leave over it even if Ats hadn't been cancelled.
Vincent Karthiser said something similar about his time on Ats S4. That they didn't really care and it was just trying to shoot it, get it done and that's it. He also complained that he just did the same scene over and over again which was boring.

Anyway the point is, maybe having actors/crew who care about the material and not just simply see it as a way to pick up a pay cheque might be a good idea for a reboot.

Sarah Michelle Gellar reportedly fell out with Charisma Carpenter over not remembering her lines. (You watch IWRY and you see the scene between them that they aren't in the same shot) but she has a point. You should care about the material and take it seriously as it makes the fans care.
Maybe because I wrote it twice?! 😳 but I'm the only one who said about not wanting Spike on the show.

I get that TPTB wanted to bring him onto the 5th series/season but I felt it regressed his character because of his strained relationship with Spike and their rivalry regarding Buffy.

Although I have to wonder that considering Spike was a popular character, why did they not try to give him his own spin off and no not the one where he would be supporting the character of Faith.

@AnthonyCordova I love your idea and think it would be so much more interesting to have a brand new team and characters and SLs.
I don't think that the actor that could play Angel would get as much criticism compare to actors that were to play Willow, Spike, Wesley or even Buffy especially considering opinions about DB's acting at times not that I EVER felt that way.

Btvs fan

Potential
Maybe because I wrote it twice?! 😳 but I'm the only one who said about not wanting Spike on the show.

I get that TPTB wanted to bring him onto the 5th series/season but I felt it regressed his character because of his strained relationship with Spike and their rivalry regarding Buffy.

Although I have to wonder that considering Spike was a popular character, why did they not try to give him his own spin off and no not the one where he would be supporting the character of Faith.

@AnthonyCordova I love your idea and think it would be so much more interesting to have a brand new team and characters and SLs.
I don't think that the actor that could play Angel would get as much criticism compare to actors that were to play Willow, Spike, Wesley or even Buffy especially considering opinions about DB's acting at times not that I EVER felt that way.
Hmm I thought Angel regressed on all the Buffy cross over episodes he did back to BTVS S3 Angel , and that was nothing to do with Spike. In Chosen when he shows up with the EX Machina , he seems oddly chipper for a guy whose just lost his son and other woman he loved.
In the Yoko Factor the writers even give him a convoluted set up just so they can do an Angel/Riley fight scene and just so Buffy can look the mature one and they can skip how Buffy was in Sanctuary
While in Pangs he's just creepy stalker with the flat he's evil joke. None of them work imo.
Ok the Forever cross over works but that seems more dreamlike and comforting an ex over the death of her mother. It's a bit different.

There was supposed to be a Spike movie but it fell though. Details here

Last edited:

AshSlays

WOW, Sarcasm, that's original!
The cursed area of tons of sweet tea (Arkansas)
Black Thorn
1. For it not to exist

OKAY but legitimately, getting over my hatred of reboots, I'd have to say these about it:
  1. For the casting to actually look somewhat similar to the original, but not so close that it looks like they weren't trying.
  2. For the love of all that is Whedon, please don't give Angel a cell phone and have him text like a teenage girl. I'm begging you.
  3. Cordy to be hip and cool and all but still talk in proper grammar
If some of these sounded kind of aggressive, I know what generation they'd be aiming this at, only a few years older than me. I go to a public middle school. It's a nightmare house and I don't need Angel texting like a teenage girl and Cordy talking like she's uneducated.

Seriously, can you imagine this? "Y'all playing too much. Visions hurt like ya'll can't understand because you ain't got them."

The curse has to be changed.
No Sunnydale.
Have Angel meet a slayer once he's well established. Preferably they seek him out for help. (Keep the Faith friendship)
Maybe exchange W&H for The Black Thorn as the long running big bad.
When Angel was first souled, he killed Darla to protect that baby instead of running away with it.
Darla turns back up.
Holts turns up.
Gotta have a rogue demon hunter or two.
Anne is still around doing her thing.
Lots of flashbacks to Angels past.
Angelus comes out to torture and maim.

No visions
No crushing guilt - it happened, he feels bad, he moves on.
No vampire baby
No spike - We want plot, not servicing.
No shanshu - or Angel never finds out about it. Maybe the Big Bad know he's tapped for it and their mission is to stop it from happening.
No Kate - i dont hate her, they could just do better this time around.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I notice a lot of people on here don't want Spike on the show, though S5 is widely regarded as the best season on the show, in no small part to him but leaving that aside.
Season 5 is considered a great season because it gets the show back on track after the disaster of Season 4, essentially re-booting the series, has solid character development for Angel (and also Wes and even to a certain extent Gunn), reinstates the lighter tone of the series and brings it back to its roots, provides closure for Connor and Cordelia as characters and has a great arc in the second half. Not because Spike was shoe-horned into the cast.

Puppet
Puppet
I agree with you, but Spike was still a part of S5's success, even if he wasn't the only or biggest part.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Puppet I agree with you, but Spike was still a part of S5's success, even if he wasn't the only or biggest part.

Eh, I think that's debatable. While Season 5 of AtS enriches Spike's character and sets him on the path to redemption, I don't feel that Spike adds anything to AtS. The season could have worked just as well and been exactly the same without him. All he really does is act as a foil for Angel and that could have been achieved with another character such as Faith or even Lindsay. So, I think Season 5 does more for Spike than Spike does for Season 5. If you removed him, the season would basically play out the exact same way.

Puppet
Puppet
You could argue the same is true for Lorne, but I do see where you're coming from, even if I don't entirely agree :)
B
Btvs fan
You were never going to get Faith back for a full season on Ats, especially when she is turning down her own spin off

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Puppet You could argue the same is true for Lorne, but I do see where you're coming from, even if I don't entirely agree :)

Agree re Lorn (you really could remove him from the narrative and it would play out the same) but the difference is that Lorn had been a cast member from Season 2, as opposed to Spike who was shoved into the show completely unnecessarily.

This all being said, I don't mind Spike being in AtS Season 5, as I said before, I think AtS really helps with Spike's characterisation and it's probably the season I enjoy him most in (across both shows). But I think that attributing part of AtS Season 5's success to the addition of Spike is not entirely truthful and I always hated that a character I grew tired of on BtVS then got shoe-horned into my favourite show. So maybe I'm just bitter :p

G
genghiskhan
Woah we have a completely different view on this. I was relived when Spike joined Angel because the characters that were actually funny just stopped being funny (or died) and Spike is pretty good for comic relief.

WillowFromBuffy

Stalky the Clown!
All he really does is act as a foil for Angel and that could have been achieved with another character such as Faith or even Lindsay
Being a foil for Angel is a pretty crucial role, though, especially since S5 restores Angel as a more take-charge kinda hero, after he has spent S4 being mostly passive and reactive. The show tries to once again put down what Angel is and therefore, they need to also show what he isn't.

I don't think Lindsay could ever be a very effective foil for Angel. They are just too different. Faith could have been interesting. I don't see her being comfortable with a comprise with WRH, but her loyalty to Angel would likely make it hard for her to speak up.

Spike works pretty well, though, I think. His circumstance and history are both similar and tied to Angel. It is two very different characters fighting for the same spot.

Btvs fan

Potential
Puppet I agree with you, but Spike was still a part of S5's success, even if he wasn't the only or biggest part.

Eh, I think that's debatable. While Season 5 of AtS enriches Spike's character and sets him on the path to redemption, I don't feel that Spike adds anything to AtS. The season could have worked just as well and been exactly the same without him. All he really does is act as a foil for Angel and that could have been achieved with another character such as Faith or even Lindsay. So, I think Season 5 does more for Spike than Spike does for Season 5. If you removed him, the season would basically play out the exact same way.
Spike is another Vampire with a Soul and lover of Buffy, he is Angels rival and also possible love interest 😏 He makes a much better foil for Angel and his ego/insecurities than Lindsey could.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think I'd actually want more Spike, because I think he works so well as a foil for Angel, I'm not sure he'd ever have to be a regular cast member but definitely a consistently regular guest star. Obviously, if there was a reboot the chemistry could be completely different and all that, but working with the hypothetical of the show we have I'd also like to see how Spike would develop as a character in a friendly relationship to Fred.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Show a bit more of the demonic nature of Wolfram & Hart. Instead of a wine and cheese party for the movers and shakers of the company, have a binding satanic ritual that seals them to the service of the satanic senior partners. Drusilla and Darla can create chaos by breaking the circular ring of protection around the people and having demons destroy all but Lilah and Lindsay. This could easily be the most dramatic (and by that I mean horrific) scene in the entire show.

No Sunnydale and no Buffy until the show has been going on for a while.

A true film noir version of a contact within the police department who feeds information to the detective that is known only to the police. This could be returning a favour or gratitude for assistance either personally or on a case. Not the police procedural "where were you on the night of the 23rd" stuff that bogs the action down. Kate could stay but the contact doesn't have to be a love interest (or even female).

No character assassinations like Cordy. She gets pregnant (for real)? Fine, write it into the story as it would happen in real life.

No demon infusion to counteract the effects of visions.

No "moment of happiness" curse.

No love triangles.

Have David Nabbit own the Hyperion in an "under renovation" state and grant it to AI as a gift for services rendered. The idea of squatters taking over a hotel in L.A. without being challenged is a bit ridiculous. and you would not have customers trying to stay at a hotel that was closed for renovation

Someone should refuse to take the limo ride to Wolfram & Hart and be the only human survivor. Maybe this could be Anne, who worked with AI to solve a crisis in the hood and was offered the same choice as the AI employees but did not join AI as an employee and did not go to W&H. (We need more Anne.)

Are there Hispanics living in California? You would never know it by the original show. Maybe have some more representative cast.

K
katmobile
I'd keep the curse but the rest of it totally

DudeBen

Townie
Hey guys! I’m new to the forums, recently been binging both Buffy and Angel again and dying to talk to people about it. Are these forums active much these days?

I’d have more Kate Lockley for sure!

A better handling of Cordy’s character in the latter seasons.

I’d like to explore Lindsey better as well, such a great character.

See some flashbacks of Lorne when he lived in Pylea.

As much W&H as possible.

Maybe a visit from Xander.

A trip to some more Dimensions!

More episodes centered around Holland Manners- The guy represented evil!

Maybe some sort of time travelling episode- where the gang get transported back to a dark time of Angelus’

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yes, more Holland Manners! And I'd love more Kate, at least with some tweaks to the character, lol.
Love the idea of a time traveling episode

Top Bottom