• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

20th Anniversary of Angel: 31 Days of Angel

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
2019 is the 20th Anniversary of when City Of aired, as such we will be doing various events and competitions throughout the year. First up 31 Days of Angel, each day we will post a new question for you, please try and give an explanation to your answer.

Day 1: Favourite season opener?

Grace
Grace
Yay! How exciting!

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I keep coming back to this, for me I think it's between City Of and Judgement. I'm going with City Of though, I think it sets up the show well, gives Doyle a good introduction and gives enough back story without recapping the previous seasons too much.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Conviction.
Love the opening and the juxtaposition to the City Of's opening. It's a soft reboot which could have moved Angel back to the almost procedural it started out as. And then at the end it of course introduced something the show desperately needed: a foil for Angel other than the scarce appearances from Lindsey.

SES SA

Potential
Day 1
That's actually really tough. I love them all for different reasons. I guess Judgement would be my choice. Give me another ten minutes and I am sure I would change to City Of or Conviction.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
I love this challenge!! 20th anniversary of Angel? Wow.

Day 1: Favorite season opener?

Deep Down. It's an excellent episode. Angel's hallucinations, Wesley's regret and darkness, Wesley and Lilah, Angel's speech in the end, etc. I love it all. It's so well written, and dark and moving, and interesting. It's a brilliant bridge between the end of season 3 and season 4.

I also really like Judgment. It's fun, cute, foreshadows what will happen in the season very well. I love Angel singing Mandy, and the gang being a family. It's an all around feel-good episode that is also moving. Angel's thoughts about redemption and Shanshu, and the fears and doubts he expresses to Cordelia, are exactly why he spirals the way he does later in the season.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
A rare time we agree!

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Day 1; Favorite season opener?
Yeah, I'm with Carrie on this one, it's definitely Deep Down. It's just such a stunning episode, even if it wasn't a premiere. I love every part of it, including the ending with Cordelia up in the Higher Planes. But I think my favorite part is the very beginning, Angel's Thanksgiving hallucination. It also says so much about Angel that Wesley is there, which I love :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Day 1: Favorite season opener?

Deep Down. For pretty much all the reasons @Carrie Hopewell said!. I'm not a big S4 fan, but this does a great job in setting up the season and giving a satisfying conclusion to S3's cliffhanger. I love the tension, and Connor's secret slowly unraveling. Think its a really great Fred episode actually. The stuff with Wes is typically great too.:)

Mylie

Scooby
Day 1 : Your favorite season opener?

The answer might change as I go further in my rewatch but I’d say Judgment. It’s just the most fun to watch and I love to see Angel’s state of mind after the revelation about the shanshu. And it’s full of memorable moments (the singing, jousting and seeing Faith in prison).

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn

I think I'm going with City Of, since as @nightshade says, it's such a good introduction to the show without being too bogged down with backstory. Also, I just love how Angel, "the messenger" of early BtVS, becomes "the message" once AtS begins.

I really like Deep Down, but I've only seen it once. I might change my mind on rewatch. :)

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black sun/blood moon
Black Thorn
Day 1 : Your favorite season opener?

Conviction. Just so many great quotes and fun.

Wesley: "Your run-on sentences have got a lot less pointless."
Fred : "Oh, that's so sweet. And a tad condescending."

Angel: "You're my secretary?"
Harmony: "Hello! Assistant."
Angel: "Explain why I shouldn't kill you."
Harmony: "Secretary's fine."

Spanky: "You know what I'm doing now? I'm applying pressure to your windpipe. You'll pass out, and then I'll let Mr. Fries decide if he wants you to wake up again."
Angel: "Do you know what I'm doing now? Not using my windpipe."

Angel: "Um...can I get a cup of coffee or something?"
Phone menu voice: "You have reached ritual sacrifice. For goats, press one, or say 'goats.' To sacrifice a loved one or pet, press the pound key..." 😂

Hauser: "You really think you can solve the problem? Come into Wolfram and Hart and make everything right? Turn night into glorious day? You pathetic little fairy."
Angel: "I'm not little."

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm also going with Conviction. I feel like it's one of those openers that really just stuck in my mind (and not just because of Angel's awful, awful hair). Though there are characters I don't like (*cough cough* Harmony *cough* Eve) it's an episode that I just thoroughly enjoy through and through. Besides the quotes Anyanka Bunny Slayer mentioned, this is a favorite moment of mine

Angel - "There's one thing more powerful than conviction. Just one: mercy." [Angel kicks Hauser's gun up and Hauser shoots himself]
Special Ops Guy - "What happened to mercy?"
Angel - [walking off] "You just saw the last of it."

I hadn't really thought about it either, but Spanky makes a good point about it being a soft reboot. Now I love season 4, but this season opener is really a great use of the "refresh" button and getting back to basics.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I'd have to agree with Anyanka Bunny Slayer, about the new secretary. Anyone who loves unicorns can't be that bad.
Also,
Angel's retort, "I'm not little."

spikenbuffy

"Buffy's like nobody else in the world"
Day 1 : Favourite season opener ?

It's a tie between Conviction & Deep Down but I choose Conviction because of scenes like :

- Angel vs the guy & the speech scene near the end about "Conviction" is really well done
- Gunn is great and funny in a suit in being a lawyer in the courtroom
- Love the Angel & Eve scenes (mostly with the apple)
- Love Angel's face being shocked to see Harmony :D
- The only episode in S5 before Cordy's death that we hear Angel's sadness about Cordy who was his close friend since ATS S1.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Day 2: What is your favourite episode title?

I've Got You Under My Skin. It's an intriguing title and clever once you find out what its referring too.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Ooooh Angel!

I love City Of for its hopeless and depressing tone. I know that's weird, but I think it summed up the show's themes about continuing to fight even when bad things happen. I like the fact Angel failed in his first 'mission', most of us fail when we first step out on our own and try to make our own path.

Day 2: What is your favourite episode title?

Apocalypse, Nowish

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Great point about City Of..

spikenbuffy

"Buffy's like nobody else in the world"
Day 2 : What is your favourite episode title ?

Deep Down because the title of this episode kind of refers to Angel & also to Wesley who cares deep down about Angel and his old pals even if he says to Lilah the contrary.

But I also really love the title Underneath because of the illusion life of Lindsey and Angel's work at W&H which is under the surface just a distraction. Also really love Wesley, Gunn & Lorne's pain who don't want to face/bear the truth, that Fred is dead.
Honorable Mentions : Underneath, The Magic Bullet & Blood Money.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Oh yeah! Never thought about the title referring to Wesley too.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Day 2 : What is your favourite episode title?
City Of

It's rare that an episode title ends in a preposition; even moreso that the preposition is of.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Day 2; What is your favorite episode title?
Are You Now or Have You Ever Been. Because it has so many possible connotations. The obvious is, of course, the one spoken in the episode. But it connects to Angel, past and present version, so well, too. I just think it's an all-around intriguing title to go with the episode.

Top Bottom