• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

A degree in Heavy Metal.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
The university of Newcastle in NSW Australia is now offering a degree in the geography of heavy metal. Bloody idiots, how many names are there for that type of music? If the music sells well in the charts then it is popular by definition, and therefore
it is pop music.
What are your opinions?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
It sorta sucks that anyone who has a degree in anything here gets far more opportunity than those without, even if they are less capable overall. I discovered last year when applying for jobs that you need a uni degree to be a party planner, a degree to work in a vineyard and a degree to serve those in poverty. You have to list your highest education on medical forms, volunteer forms, even in surveys. It didnt matter what degree it was, you just had to have a bit of paper proving your parents wealth before you were even considered for a job above minimum wage. I could imagine a heavy metal degree would put you ahead in the party planning business.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
There was a recent survey of the types of music people chose to listen to and the percentages came out:

21% singer-songwriter
13% classic rock
8% pop
3% metal

They don't add up to 100% because some people don't bother with music. There are also some universities offering degrees in the study of popular culture and Buffy the Vampire Slayer is second only to Star Trek as a thesis topic.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
singer-songwriter could be any genre?

TriBel

Scooby
It's not a first degree - it's a PhD and PhDs are often very narrow in scope. I don't think it's being offered as a taught course but as a research topic so it's likely to involve a single student. "I'm particularly interested in hearing from students who want to work on projects relating to anarchist geographies, critical discourse studies, geographies of violence and nonviolence, the geography of Heavy Metal, forced evictions and homelessness, critical pedagogy and unschooling, radical geography and social justice, critical legal geographies, posthumanism and vegan geographies, postdevelopment, and contemporary political economic processes and social change in mainland Southeast Asia". https://anarchistgeography.com/students

There are also some universities offering degrees in the study of popular culture and Buffy the Vampire Slayer is second only to Star Trek as a thesis topic.
Shakespeare and Dickens were considered Popular Culture once.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
There was a recent survey of the types of music people chose to listen to and the percentages came out:

21% singer-songwriter
13% classic rock
8% pop
3% metal

They don't add up to 100% because some people don't bother with music. There are also some universities offering degrees in the study of popular culture and Buffy the Vampire Slayer is second only to Star Trek as a thesis topic.
No listing for rap, or r&b? Is this just supposed to be rock/pop? Just what genre is singer-songwriter supposed to be? 🤔

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
As stated, this is for a degree in the Geography of Heavy Metal Music, ie: where Heavy Metal comes from.

Top Bottom