• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

A Dollhouse Remake

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Change the whole premise. Make the dolls to be manchurian candidates versus what they were on the show. Have better episodes would be another thing.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I wouldn't might if they did a remake but then I'veneveractuallywatchedtheshow

white avenger

white avenger
As I recall, the show was generally well received at first, until someone pointed out that it was basically a combination of slavery and prostitution, and then there was a general loss of support for it. Unless they could come up with a way to change that view, I don't think that it will ever be remade.

BuffyNvrForgets
BuffyNvrForgets
Yes, it’s a hard premise to have…Not a lot of people like feeling like they are supporting something like that by watching. The thing is though, she show was about not supporting those things. The message was, “the Dollhouse is bad”.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I don't have a problem with how the Dolls were portrayed on the show. Its seems it was ahead of the curve in a way. I think maybe at the time it just a bit too dark or maybe niche for a mainstream audience. It maybe more suitable for a modern audience its just whether the show has enough name value to be picked up. I guess it could work on Netflix or Amazon.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I liked the theme of what is the essence or the soul of a person? And even if that is erased or wiped, is it still there? It’s about personhood, and I think that is always relevant. The trappings of that, essentially a whorehouse, yeah, and sex without consent- that was gross upon retrospect. The dolls were like children and that idea can go. So no I don’t think the show should be remade. There were lots of elements of the show that were interesting as it stood. And I guess maybe people will keep making those shows? Westworld? (Although I haven’t watched it)

BuffyNvrForgets

Slayerette
When watching it, I felt it was hard, as someone who likes character driven shows, to make attachments to the characters, because they were constantly being rewritten literally every episode, and the characters that weren’t, just weren’t given enough time to be interesting. That somewhat improved during season 2, but still.

How I would improve it:

Don’t have Echo be the main character. She can be the most important character, but she cannot be the audience surrogate as she was in the original, because she literally is a blank slate.

the whole time I was watching it, I kept thinking how much more interesting it would be to see this situation from Whiskey/Claire’s perspective. I mean, she’s so quiet and observant, yet she’s in the very middle of all of it. And imagine how much more interesting it would have been for the reveal that she is, in fact, and has been a doll the whole time. Much more interesting than them teasing Caroline, who ultimately didn’t mean very much.
Then, imagine her sacrifice at the end? They really didn’t flesh it out, but it was always a really interesting part to me.

Anyways, that’s what I would have done. They also could have made it from Paul’s perspective, but I think that would be less interesting.

(Side note: anyone else think Dollhouse would have made a great Anime? It’s just an odd Thought I had…I’ve seen other anime’s deal with similar themes, such as Evangelion or Elfen Lied, and I could just see them pulling it off…)

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Could be a good anime yeah. Some interesting ideas.
Top Bottom