• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

A reason for Kennedy by the writers?

thrasherpix

Scooby
Kennedy is listed as an entitled, arrogant, obnoxious brat who HAS to have her way. Fair enough.

But somewhere recently (I can't find it) someone commented (I think in one of those comment boxes) that she was put in as a love interest for Willow because of the uproar from the lesbian community about Tara's death (and I did notice that back before I was part of the fandom!) as sort of a bone thrown out, and so there would be no pressure for the writers to ship her with Xander instead (ticking off lesbian viewers even more).

So could it be that Kennedy was the way the writers thought of the lesbian fandom? Or maybe even a passive aggressive jab at us?

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
I think they just tried to make a richer, less angry and less ambiguously gay Faith. I don't think they meant to create an unpopular character.

BtVS has parodied their fans before, and they have hardly been subtle about it. What exactly is it about Kennedy that would make you think she is a stand in for incensed lesbian fans? Kennedy doesn't care about representation. Her favourite movie is Gone with the Wind. She may be out and proud, but she is the furthest thing from a standard bearer.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The writers wanted Willow to have a girlfriend by the end of the series but there would be a problem with an "ordinary" girl. Willow would not have gotten over her grief without someone who would take charge and be somewhat dominant. I have told the story before of a woman who lived in the next apartment from us whose OTP went off to fight in WWI and never came back. She never had any other suitors and remained single into her eighties (which was the last time I saw her). Just think - she went through the flapper era, the depression, WWII, the postwar boom and the uncertain seventies and eighties with no love in her life and even in her seventies, you could see she had been an attractive woman. Willow would have done the same.

When Kennedy kisses Willow in "The Killer in Me", she breaks the bond that would have kept Willow single and in mourning for the rest of her life and proved that Kennedy would not run off screaming like the other more useless potentials after seeing the alternation between Warren and Willow. Kennedy was also the only one to actually want to be a slayer and she agreed to be bringer bait. And unlike the scoobies, she was not interested in what she could get from Willow's witchcraft - she was just interested in Willow.

Kennedy was brash, she was rude, she was overbearing but she was effective. Another shy girl like Tara would never have broken through Willow's grief. The writers had painted themselves into a corner by introducing the potentials so late and if they wanted Willow to have a love interest by the end of the program, her lover would have to be dominant and fearless and she would have to have some faults just to distinguish herself from Tara. And of course, they had to show Willow was still gay and not just gay for the duration of her romance with Tara or there would have been a lesbian revolt among fans of the show,

Cohen

Warrior
Can’t tell you why the writers thought willow needed a girlfriend. I think Kennedy as a potential was great. I think Kennedy as Willow’s lover was unnecessary.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Can’t tell you why the writers thought willow needed a girlfriend. I think Kennedy as a potential was great. I think Kennedy as Willow’s lover was unnecessary.
By the end of the show, it looked like the "we're doomed" comment about the love lives of the scoobies from Season 1 was going to come true and the writers may have thought it was too much of a downer for the story to end with no lover for Buffy, Willow, Xander or Giles. It would be hopeful if at least one of them ended up in a relationship. Maybe this was unnecessary but I think there would have been criticism about there being a lot of relationship angst in the show only to end up with everyone single and no prospects on the horizon. But then maybe that's what relationship angst leads to - a bunch of drama queens that no one wants to be around.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I don't think they were going to ship her with Xander regardless but the writers definitely confirmed that they paired her up as a way to make it clear she was still gay (that part is in the commentary for The Killer in Me).

Although I don't think they meant Kennedy as anything else but someone who was opposite of Tara. From what I've seen Kennedy is actually quite well liked (or was at the time) by casual LGBT fans. Although that may not be the case anymore.

Cohen

Warrior
By the end of the show, it looked like the "we're doomed" comment about the love lives of the scoobies from Season 1 was going to come true and the writers may have thought it was too much of a downer for the story to end with no lover for Buffy, Willow, Xander or Giles. It would be hopeful if at least one of them ended up in a relationship. Maybe this was unnecessary but I think there would have been criticism about there being a lot of relationship angst in the show only to end up with everyone single and no prospects on the horizon. But then maybe that's what relationship angst leads to - a bunch of drama queens that no one wants to be around.
I would have preferred them to all be single. Battling evil is a life of sacrifice. That was interwoven throughout the show. In the comics, Kennedy barely lasted another half season. It’s clear she wasn’t meant as endgame and it’s a copout to have made her the love interest with 10 episodes left in the season. Honestly it would have looked better with flirty banter than anything confirmed. I didn’t mind the flirty banter in BOTN and Showtime. But they rushed a horrible relationship, in order to confirm Willow’s gayness? Unnecessary.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Fascinating hypothesis, unprovable, of course. I mean, we know there was a severe backlash to Tara's death, and the Creators didn't manage it well, and isolating Willow and Xander and giving W a new girlfriend was the bone thrown to the audience. I doubt happiness was really a concern, I mean, it's Mutant Enemy, look how Angel ended. It would explain a lot of Kennedy's unlikable nature. I'm also willing to entertain K was designed as a lesbian power fantasy, aka Miss America, which lesbians would enjoy, but nobody else would. However, I don't know enough about the Season 7 writing process to really draw a conclusion.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
There are so many issues with Kennedy that make her the worst character in the Buffyverse, even worse than Connor because at least he had the excuse of being forced to grow up in a hell dimension and there were other circumstances that made him a pain in the arse. Kennedy has no such excuse.

I've not got time right now to go into proper detail on why Kennedy was a terrible decision by the writers, but don't worry, I'll be back later! :p

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
I was WAITING for you to comment. 😆

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Kennedy is listed as an entitled, arrogant, obnoxious brat who HAS to have her way. Fair enough.
This thread could've ended right there with that oh so accurate description. :p

But somewhere recently (I can't find it) someone commented (I think in one of those comment boxes) that she was put in as a love interest for Willow because of the uproar from the lesbian community about Tara's death (and I did notice that back before I was part of the fandom!) as sort of a bone thrown out, and so there would be no pressure for the writers to ship her with Xander instead (ticking off lesbian viewers even more).

So could it be that Kennedy was the way the writers thought of the lesbian fandom? Or maybe even a passive aggressive jab at us?
The writers were being accused by fans of continuing the "bury your gays" trope with Tara's death, so Kennedy was kind of their response of "no we're not!"

They didn't want it to seem like Tara was just a "phase" for Willow, hence all the lines proclaiming Willow's "gayness". Even though Willow is technically Bi (since she did love and was attracted to Oz and Xander (and was written as straight in at least the first two seasons), it makes sense the writers wouldn't want to confuse the audience by having Willow go from a man to a woman and back to a man, especially since they had to fight hard to get the Tillow relationship onscreen and had to hide it behind a magic metaphor for a good portion of season 4.

However, Kennedy was the worst option they could've chosen. If you look at Oz an Tara (two people Willow was truly in love with), you'll see that, although they might be different personality wise, they do have certain traits in common such as caring about others, being kind, and a calmness in situations when others maybe panicking eg when Willow was worried over what she was going to wear to Joyce's funeral.. Kennedy is none of that.

Oz and Tara would NEVER dream about calling someone "maggot" and even less GLOATING about it, yet Kennedy does both and the consequence of that action is that a young teenage girl kills herself. Now Kennedy might not have been the sole cause of that but she was certainly a tipping point, and when The First can basically say "you helped cause this" WITHOUT lying (and I don't believe the First was lying in this instance because the truth was far more "fun" and damaging than a lie), there is a massive problem there and at no point was it ever addressed.

Someone like Tara or Oz would at least question whether their actions were to blame for someone killing themself, even if ultimately they weren't at fault. Kennedy has no such moment of reflection. She's just been told that Chloe killed herself because of Kennedy calling her maggot, yet she just carries on as normal and then eventually leads the mutiny that gets Buffy thrown out of her own house; and still Kennedy DOES NOT CARE about the effect her actions are having on other. The only thing on her mind is getting a bigger say in things, she even outright admits to Faith that she thought she'd get a bigger say in things with Faith in charge, which actually brings into question her motives during the mutiny. She shouts down Willow when it looks like Willow is going to defend Buffy, the immediate moments after Buffy leaves and everyone is talking at once, you can hear her say "I think those of us who have been here the longest (eg herself because the other two she arrived with are dead) should get a bigger say in things", then of course her whining to Faith. Kennedy looks down her nose at Buffy the moment she walks through Buffy's door.

Let's have a look at what Chloe's transgression was that earned her such a reaction from Kennedy. Did she steal candy off a baby? Nope. Did she push an old lady down the stairs? Nope. Did she do something so heinous that people should look at her with disgust and condemnation? No. What she did was turn left instead of right.

It is such an easy mistake to make, who hasn't confused their left and right at some point in their life. At worst, the training exercise should've been restarted and the other potentials can moan about it. There was absolutely no need to publicly humiliate Chloe in front of her peers, force her to do push ups and then gloat about it to another character. It's bullying behaviour. What makes it even worse is that none of the "adult" characters call Kennedy out on it which could be seen as condoning the behaviour and giving Kennedy free rein to do what she wanted. Why would Chloe go to any of the scoobies about Kennedy if they'd witnessed what she was like and said nothing. It puts Chloe in a position of powerlessness which the First took an opportunity to exploit.

I think they just tried to make a richer, less angry and less ambiguously gay Faith. I don't think they meant to create an unpopular character.
I go back and forth on this. On the one hand, common sense says if you're going to pair a character with one of your main characters then you want the audience to like them (even Riley had a likeability factor in Season 4 and the general complaint about him was that he was "boring" but he was always going to be at a disadvantage in comparison to Angel and Spike). However, the writers gave Kennedy such an unlikeable personality, how did they ever expect people to like her? Is it the actress' fault?

The Faith comparison doesn't work for me because Faith evolves. It starts when she's in Buffy's body and saves the people in the church and it continues throughout her time on Angel. Faith ends the series a different person to how she started it. It's not a question of time either, Yes, Faith had longer for her story to play out, but they didn't necessarily need a long time to establish Kennedy. All they needed to do was reveal that Kennedy's attitude was a front to hide how scared she really was, with that revelation done, they could then show a kinder, more open Kennedy. That's all they needed to do. Instead we got an obnoxious, arrogant, self-centred brat who does nothing to improve her behaviour despite the fact that she even acknowledges she's a brat. That makes it even worse because she knows her behaviour is unpleasant to others yet she doesn't care to change it.

The writers wanted Willow to have a girlfriend by the end of the series but there would be a problem with an "ordinary" girl.
I disagree. Firstly what do you class as "ordinary"? Does Willow's lover have to have some sort of superpower like Oz (werewolf) or Tara (witch)?

Fred would've been a perfectly acceptable replacement for Tara. She's different from Tara yet exhibits some of the triats that both Oz and Tara is which is probably what attracted Willow to them in the first place, and given that Fred becomes Illyria hey presto that's her superpower. There is no reason why Willow would be attracted to Kennedy other than the writers made it so.

Willow would not have gotten over her grief without someone who would take charge and be somewhat dominant. I have told the story before of a woman who lived in the next apartment from us whose OTP went off to fight in WWI and never came back. She never had any other suitors and remained single into her eighties (which was the last time I saw her). Just think - she went through the flapper era, the depression, WWII, the postwar boom and the uncertain seventies and eighties with no love in her life and even in her seventies, you could see she had been an attractive woman. Willow would have done the same.
The thing is it's not up to you or Kennedy to decide when someone should get over their grief. It's up to the individual. You would never go up to somebody and say "you've been grieving for your lost loved one for X amount of time, I think you should stop now". It's easy to say one thing in regards to others and their grief when you're not the one affected, but when you are in that position, it's easier said than done.

Most people take a couple of years to grieve for a loved one before they're finally ready to move on, Willow didn't even get a year before Kennedy was after her. She basically invited herself to sleep in Willow's bed with Willow even though Willow hadn't even put the offer on the table. That right there is overstepping a boundary.

When Kennedy kisses Willow in "The Killer in Me", she breaks the bond that would have kept Willow single and in mourning for the rest of her life
When someone is screaming up at the heavens, begging for forgiveness from their dead lover for kissing someone else, that doesn't exactly say "ready to move on", it says "still grieving".

Even if you're being extremely generous and say that kissing Kennedy began the process for Willow to start moving on, you still need to give it time for Willow to work through that process. As it stands, Kennedy's kiss apparently starts the problem and solves it within the same day. That's not how it works. You don't have Willow reacting like she did, begging for forgiveness from Tara for kissing Kennedy, only for Kennedy to kiss her again and then she's totally fine with it. Willow literally turned into Tara's killer because she felt THAT guilty, she was in no way ready to move on yet but Kennedy didn't care because she was Kennedy's way to muscle in with the scoobies, as seen by the fact Kennedy starts turning up to Scooby meetings immediately once she officially starts dating Willow (even though it took Tara a while before she became an official scooby despite dating Willow).

and proved that Kennedy would not run off screaming like the other more useless potentials after seeing the alternation between Warren and Willow.
Kennedy was the oldest of the potentials so it should be expected that her reaction should have a bit more maturity to it than the younger ones. Also the fact that she apparently had a Watcher most of her life, some of the potentials don't have that luxury and were literally dropped in at the deep end because the First was trying to kill them. Even Buffy didn't know about the supernatural until she was called as a slayer. Therefore some of the younger potential would freak out initially because they are not used to such things. And actually Kennedy was a bit freaked out by Willow's initial transformation before getting over it, there's no reason why the other potentials wouldn't do the same. Also Kennedy was a bit freaked out when Willow accidentally grabbed her and used her as a battery during a spell.

Kennedy was also the only one to actually want to be a slayer

Even Buffy didn't want to be a slayer in the first few years. Kennedy talks the talk, sure, but her actions prove otherwise. She deliberately skived off going to the desert with the other potentials despite it being part of training, and even Buffy has gone to the desert with Giles for training. So either she thinks she's too good for training or she just can't be bothered to do it, either way it hardly shouts "I want to be a slayer!"

She didn't participate in the backyard training session with the other potentials, instead choosing to lord it over them, including that disgusting display of behaviour towards Chloe. Before anyone says "that's what drill sergeants do", 1. Kennedy is not a drill sergeant. 2. Chloe didn't sign up to be a potential. Since Kennedy is a potential, she should be participating with the others.

She avoids the majority of the final fight and only turns up at the tail end of it, rather than being the first to volunteer. She didn't do anything, Xander couldn't have done in regards to Willow. It would've made sense for Xander to be with Willow whilst Kennedy guarded the opening of the hellmouth (if she couldn't be bothered to actually go in the hole and fight from the start) then Xander runs from Willow, gives Kennedy the scythe, then takes over from Kennedy as Kennedy jumps in the hole.

and she agreed to be bringer bait.
Somebody had to be bait and it makes her look good in front of the scoobies. If the scoobies did their job, then she wasn't in any danger. She's less likely to panic than the younger potentials but again, that's something that should be expected given that she had certain advantages that some of the other potentials did not.

And unlike the scoobies, she was not interested in what she could get from Willow's witchcraft - she was just interested in Willow.
Kennedy proclaimed magic to be "a load of fairy tale crap" (nothing says love like belittling your would-be lover's hobby that was a key feature in her past relationship with her murdered lover.) Seriously watch the Season 4 Tillow scenes where they do magic together as their relationship blossoms and remember that Kennedy thinks it's a "load of fairy tale crap".

No, Kennedy wasn't interested in Willow's magic, she was interested in Willow's position within the scooby group. Once she's dating Willow, she's immediately turning up to scooby meetings. She has a go at Willow for defending Buffy or looking like she's about to, despite the fact that Buffy and Willow have been friends and fought alongside each other for 7 years. Kennedy thinks Willow should always be on her side regardless of how Willow might feel. Also once she's dating Willow, she's not training with the potentials despite being one.

We see Kennedy brown nosing Faith. No doubt if Buffy or Faith was a lesbian or Faith had been on the scene earlier, we would've seen Kennedy trying to pursue them rather than Willow since they hold a higher position of power.

Kennedy was brash, she was rude, she was overbearing
Add to that nasty, unpleasant, self-serving, with her head up her own backside.

Another shy girl like Tara would never have broken through Willow's grief.
I disagree. Meeting someone like Tara could've also sparked the process of Willow starting to move on because even though there would be similarities, there would also be differences which means the new girl is not a carbon copy of Tara.

Also, they don't need a new love interest to be like Tara, they just need her not to be like Kennedy.

The writers had painted themselves into a corner by introducing the potentials so late and if they wanted Willow to have a love interest by the end of the program, her lover would have to be dominant and fearless and she would have to have some faults just to distinguish herself from Tara.
Disagree. Like I said earlier, Fred would've been a perfectly acceptable love interest. The crux of the matter is though that Willow didn't need a new relationship. They could've maybe had her getting to know a new character with the implication that they were going to give a relationship a go (satisfying the one of the scoobies isn't alone requirement) after the series ended without throwing her into one.

Also in regard to "faults", Kennedy's faults are never addressed. She's never called out on her behaviour. If she was, and if she'd made attempts to address those faults, then maybe she wouldn't be as hated as she is. You can't go "I know I'm a brat" and then do nothing to address that behaviour.

And of course, they had to show Willow was still gay and not just gay for the duration of her romance with Tara or there would have been a lesbian revolt among fans of the show,
This is the main point of the issue. They needed to pair Willow up with a lesbian to prove she was still gay and Kennedy was the only one available. The whole deal with RJ was a big clue. Theoretically the love spell should've made Willow ignore being gay in favour of RJ because she was that much under the spell, but because that would look like Tara was just a "phase", they had her decide to try and turn RJ into a woman.

I think Kennedy had potential, but the writing and the acting were a bad combination. Making her Willow's lover just made her worse.

It would've made more sense for Xander and Anya to get back together, but the writers wanted to prove they weren't "burying their gays". In my view, if they wanted Willow to be in a lesbian relationship at the end of the show, they shouldn't have killed off Tara in the first place. Dark Willow could've been achieved by killing of Xander instead. or even just severely injuring Tara to the point where it looks like she's going to die eg the doctors are trying to resuscitate her, and Willow walks away to get revenge before the outcome is revealed.

I would have preferred them to all be single. Battling evil is a life of sacrifice. That was interwoven throughout the show. In the comics, Kennedy barely lasted another half season. It’s clear she wasn’t meant as endgame and it’s a copout to have made her the love interest with 10 episodes left in the season. Honestly it would have looked better with flirty banter than anything confirmed. I didn’t mind the flirty banter in BOTN and Showtime. But they rushed a horrible relationship, in order to confirm Willow’s gayness? Unnecessary.
I think I read somewhere that the comic writers acknowledged how unpopular Kennedy was with fans, hence why the relationship with Willow didn't pan out and Willow cheated on her with a snake woman.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Heh, I've considered Kennedy's training methods to be the "Snyder Technique."

It just occurs to me, what if it was Xander who did what Kennedy did? No change, just Xander taking charge as Kennedy did and Willow going with it. Holy crap, can you imagine the howls today? :D (Throw in his training the Potentials as Kennedy did and I'd finally agree that he has full blown toxic masculinity, as opposed to struggling with it.) Though I bet it would still have more fans than Killow.

Hmm...it might've been fun to have Kennedy ogling Dawn right along with Xander and Willow (yes, it was both of them, not just Xander). Then she moves in on Dawn in her aggressive manner and let Dawn and Buffy handle it from there. :devil:

Wait a minute...how old was Kennedy in season 7 again? :confused:

But on the writers, I guess we'll just never know. It could be just another lazy way to make sure she's in a relationship by the end of it, or it could be a passive aggressive jab against lesbians (one might say the same of the Wiccan group in season 4 since Wiccans like that do exist and probably sent in letters to the writers, BTVS writers wouldn't be the first go get angry or disappointed letters from them). Maybe it's a bit of both, they're told to make it happen because the show by then was a soap opera with shipping its biggest appeal (plus to appease the angry lesbian crowd who felt betrayed--and I understand why they would, assuming one wasn't familiar with Joss Whedon's love to inflict pain on those who love), but angry enough that Kennedy is...well, I won't repeat myself.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Kennedy was 19- legally an adult.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Kennedy was 19? The writers really forced that one. Either that or they forgot about the 18th birthday rite Slayers are expected to go through if they live long enough....I vaguely recall one of them saying they might be too old, but it strikes me as really strange the First was going after someone that old. (But then maybe the First was TRYING to drive Kennedy there as a type of psychological warfare against Buffy and the Scoobies...I'd make that my headcanon but I just can't think of the moronic First as that clever and subtle.)

white avenger

white avenger
The simplest answer to the question is, Buffy had Spike, Xander had Anya, and Faith had Wood. They didn't want Willow to be the only one without a snuggle puppy to keep the nights from being so lonely (Giles doesn't count, cause he's an old man, and Andrew doesn't matter, because he's just the Jar Jar Binks of Season 7)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Heh, I've considered Kennedy's training methods to be the "Snyder Technique."
I don't think even Snyder would be quite that nasty. Also the fact that if he'd said that to a student's face in front of witnesses, their parents would've caused a fuss and possibly sued, particularly if the student ended up killing themselves.

Even as much as Snyder disliked Buffy, he never publicly humiliated her. He had her in his office with Sheila, but he never berated her in front of her peers.

It just occurs to me, what if it was Xander who did what Kennedy did? No change, just Xander taking charge as Kennedy did and Willow going with it. Holy crap, can you imagine the howls today? :D (Throw in his training the Potentials as Kennedy did and I'd finally agree that he has full blown toxic masculinity, as opposed to struggling with it.) Though I bet it would still have more fans than Killow.
It goes to show though, if it's totally wrong for Xander to speak to Chloe like that, then it's equally wrong for Kennedy to speak to her like that. It's even worse that nobody reprimanded Kennedy for her behaviour.

Hmm...it might've been fun to have Kennedy ogling Dawn right along with Xander and Willow (yes, it was both of them, not just Xander). Then she moves in on Dawn in her aggressive manner and let Dawn and Buffy handle it from there.
Considering that Dawn isn't gay, for Kennedy to pursue her in such an aggressive manner would certainly constitute sexual harassment because Kennedy won't take no for an answer.

The simplest answer to the question is, Buffy had Spike, Xander had Anya, and Faith had Wood. They didn't want Willow to be the only one without a snuggle puppy to keep the nights from being so lonely (Giles doesn't count, cause he's an old man, and Andrew doesn't matter, because he's just the Jar Jar Binks of Season 7)
Spike died, Anya died, Wood was just creepy with his fixation on Slayers.

Just look at the body language in this scene.

Both Amanda and Vi look visibly uncomfortable in the scene as they watch what Kennedy is doing to Chloe. Their bodies are tense as if they're standing stock still in order to avoid drawing attention. Vi's hands are in front of her as are Amanda's (a sign of discomfort as it is seen as a closed shielding gesture rather than an open laidback one. When people are relaxed in a situation, their arms will either be behind their back or at their sides). Vi's hand are also clenched, it's like she wants to say something but is too afraid to.

Chloe looks on the verge of tears but trying not to cry as she is called "maggot" by Kennedy and publicly humiliated in front of everyone else. Her shoulders are raised slightly as if she is shrinking back. She is vulnerable, there is no room to put her hands in front herself to shield her from Kennedy and she can't look away otherwise that would provoke Kennedy even more. Kennedy is in her personal space, if Kennedy took one more step then she would be right up in Chloe's face. Chloe is trapped, she can't move, not even to step back and put some space between herself and Kennedy.

Kennedy's body language is aggressive, she's in Chloe's personal space, she's having a go at her. There is no reason why Kennedy shouldn't be training alongside the potentials since she is one. However, here we see Kennedy exerting her sense of power over the group, particularly Chloe, and making Chloe feel powerless. Dating Willow would make it seem like Kennedy has immunity, and given the fact that Kennedy openly gloats to calling Chloe "Maggot" and doesn't get called out on it, it only confirms that impression even more.

Essentially what this scene shows is that Kennedy has free rein to treat people as she chooses, and for someone like Chloe who is on the receiving end of negative treatment, there is no guarantee that Kennedy isn't going to treat her the same way the next day or the day after that or the one after that. It is this kind of moment that the First exploited and also why it called it out. and yet neither Kennedy or the scoobies take a blind bit of notice.

Chloe being in a situation where she could die any day would be bad enough, Chloe being in a situation where she could die any day and there is someone calling her "maggot" and making her feel useless and powerless would be even worse.

If the theme of Season 7 is supposed to be power (and Buffy "shares" her power with the potentials by activating them) then what Kennedy does here is abuse her "power" over the potentials and strips Chloe of her power.

white avenger

white avenger
Spike died, Anya died, Wood was just creepy with his fixation on Slayers.
Faith referred to Wood as her "ex" in Season 8, so he didn't last very long, and Willow split up with Kennedy in Season 9 or 10, and Anya was back as a ghost in Season 8. That made Spike the sole surviving snuggle puppy by Season 10

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
But at the end of Buffy the tv show, both Spike and Anya were dead.
Cohen
Cohen
Anya was a ghost in 9. Willow started cheating in 8. Wood was long gone before the comics. Spike was his own creature.
K
katmobile
Anya was a ghost in ten.
Top Bottom