• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Accusation Against Joss Whedon about Justice League filming

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Twitter is very much a double edged sword. It's good points can be easily met by it's bad points.
Yeah I use it and find some interesting stuff but I think the character limit lends itself to anger & misunderstandings.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Yeah I use it and find some interesting stuff but I think the character limit lends itself to anger & misunderstandings.
The character limit is quite frustrating (though I think that is the extended character limit, I'm sure it used to be a lot shorter), the number of times I've had to try and find a word that means the same thing but is shorter.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Well we know he fired Charisma Carpenter for getting pregnant. We know of his feud with SMG. FPJ himself came out and said a person made his wife time a nightmare. He didn't name him but Joss (FPJ meant him) straight came out and said FPJ wasn't there and doesn't know what he's talking about.
We know what happened with him and Gal Gadot. We know the stuff leaked from his ex wife. Just because fans put him on a pedestal doesn't mean Joss is a nice guy in real life. So yeah this is believable.

I really am.

See I didn't make it very far into True Detective, couldn't get into it.

Yeah that's what Faith said, but I feel like, if Joss was really that bad, he would have picked something else to say. No contract in hell could make me say something nice about Mischa Barton.

I'm not defending Joss, cause it's not that I don't believe he was a jerk (using a family friendly word lol) on set, I just question the timing of this revelation, when we're cancelling comics-related things.
You'd have no choice. You sign that and don't say something nice, you'd be sued to high heaven and blackballed.

SMG during Buffy Season 5, when there was talk of moving Networks simply said she felt they should stay with the WB. Whedon reminded her she was under contract and to shut up. She soon went quiet.

burrunjor
burrunjor
What happened with him and Gal Gadot?
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
There are two sides to every story though. Have to be careful of just assuming everything levelled at Whedon is true.

burrunjor

Potential
I believe this.

Joss Whedon I think is a genius. He has an amazing body of work and is fantastic writer and director. I'd go as far as to name him one of the greatest storytellers of the entire 21st century.

That said he is by many accounts a very difficult man. His treatment of Charisma Carpenter was absolutely shameful, Sarah Michelle Gellar appreared to have a very difficult relationship with him. She respected him sure, but there seems to be some bad blood there. James Marsters meanwhile has also not exactly made him out to be a great guy that he loved working with.

He's never outright attacked him, but still from what James says about the way he run the show, being scared of him etc, Joss seemed to be quite a bad boss. Amber Benson also didn't seem to be to fond of Joss either. The way Joss told Amber she was more or less fired, was pretty awful.

This is before we get to his smearing video games as sexists for petty reasons (they kill female characters, yeah because female characters should never be killd off. Also it's not like you've done that Joss?) Associating with charlatans like Anita Sarkeesian, all the while cheating on his wife!

I can believe that he was a dick on Justice League, but that said, does it matter? It makes no difference to my enjoyment of his work. Also I do think this actor is using the current political climate to settle an old score.

That seems to be happening a lot in the current outrage, and hey I love seeing phoney virtue signallers exposed for what they really are, but we need to watch this doesn't just become a witch hunt against people we don't like. I don't think Joss is racist at all. A difficult man, but not racist and he shouldn't be lumped in with genuine racists.

GreyWalker1958
GreyWalker1958
Re: racism- if he was, J, Indigo, Gina, Woodside, the Nikki Wood actresses, and Freeman would've been said something by now
B
Btvs fan
Regards Gal Gadot. She refused to work with him so they had to use the Stunt double instead

Antho

Scooby
The bad effect of being popular. One day People love you, you’re up, and tomorrow people investigate your life, find scandals and then.. before to have time to prove your innocence... you’re down. This sums up perfectly the situation for me.

Btvs fan

Scooby
The bad effect of being popular. One day People love you, you’re up, and tomorrow people investigate your life, find scandals and then.. before to have time to prove your innocence... you’re down. This sums up perfectly the situation for me.
Or simply someone got a pass because he did a popular show and fans elevated him to God status when in reality he could just be another creepy Hollywood director with some talent.
Your talking about a guy whose so popular even now you can find threads, excusing episodes/plots or even seasons they don't like with the oh but Joss wasn't there. Like the other writers/directors made them and Joss simply wasn't aware 🙄

Mr Trick

Scooby
Or simply someone got a pass because he did a popular show and fans elevated him to God status when in reality he could just be another creepy Hollywood director with some talent.
Your talking about a guy whose so popular even now you can find threads, excusing episodes/plots or even seasons they don't like with the oh but Joss wasn't there. Like the other writers/directors made them and Joss simply wasn't aware 🙄
I don't think anyone has ever said he's getting a pass because of his talent or because of him being part of a mainstream show. All they've said is Joss the man is different from Joss the writer/director. When I enjoy an episode of TV or a film which Whedon was involved with I'm enjoy his work. Another thing is I believe in innocent until proven guilty. And I don't believe in trial by media which part of the witch hunt against Whedon has felt like the last couple of years.

B
Btvs fan
You make a fair point about these being allegations. Though there seem to be a lot from many different sources

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Joss the man is different from Joss the writer/director.
But you can't separate one from the other. The artist always informs on the art. Why else would say a Mel Gibson be blackballed and shunned by Hollywood for so many years. It wasn't because his art was no good, it's because of his character.

Mr Trick

Scooby
But you can't separate one from the other. The artist always informs on the art. Why else would say a Mel Gibson be blackballed and shunned by Hollywood for so many years. It wasn't because his art was no good, it's because of his character.
I don't think that's the same. That's Hollywood's call. Gibson's remarks sort of put him in a different league. Joss treating people bad on set still doesn't mean a fan of his can't enjoy his work.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Joss treating people bad on set still doesn't mean a fan of his can't enjoy his work.
Unless you were a fan of his work that can no longer enjoy it based upon his past behaviors as some people are now saying they are.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Unless you were a fan of his work that can no longer enjoy it based upon his past behaviors as some people are now saying they are.
Sure and that's up to the individual person. I was just responding to the point about the idea that people were giving Joss a free pass because of his talent. Which I don't think is true.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Sure and that's up to the individual person. I was just responding to the point about the idea that people were giving Joss a free pass because of his talent. Which I don't think is true.
Like you say I think it all comes down to each individual taste.
Did @Spanky mean me about no longer enjoying for past behaviours. Just for the record I find myself rewatching Angel more on rewatch than Buffy. Though that's nothing to do with the allegations and more some of the dialogue/speak which I find hard to get through now adays. Like I can still watch some episodes but a full seriesnl run now, not so much

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Fair enough.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Did @Spanky mean me about no longer enjoying for past behaviours.
I mean a lot of people in general. Quite a few soured on him with his sexist Wonder Woman script. Others with the allegations of his ex-wife. Others with that scene in Firefly he had planned for the second season. Others with the way Buffy ended. And now it seems others with the allegations from the Justice League set.

I was just responding to the point about the idea that people were giving Joss a free pass because of his talent. Which I don't think is true.
I certainly think it's true. There seem to be a section of "his" fanbase that finds he can do no wrong and practically worship him.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I mean a lot of people in general. Quite a few soured on him with his sexist Wonder Woman script. Others with the allegations of his ex-wife. Others with that scene in Firefly he had planned for the second season. Others with the way Buffy ended. And now it seems others with the allegations from the Justice League set.

I certainly think it's true. There seem to be a section of "his" fanbase that finds he can do no wrong and practically worship him.
But you would have to know why their saying that to know for sure. My position has always been the artist is separate from his art. Another side to it is having actual proof for some of the things he has been accused of.

I think as @The Bronze said because of the recent Allegations against Whedon there are now people on the internet combing through everything he's ever done looking for things.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Another side to it is having actual proof for some of the things he has been accused of.
You don't need proof to be accused and held accountable for things anymore. An accusation is generally all the proof people need nowadays.

B
Btvs fan
In this instance Joss does not deny the accusation.

Mr Trick

Scooby
You don't need proof to be accused and held accountable for things anymore. An accusation is generally all the proof people need nowadays.
Maybe, but that's a sad state of affairs if true. Its the trial by media I was talking about before.

Btvs fan

Scooby
But you would have to know why their saying that to know for sure. My position has always been the artist is separate from his art. Another side to it is having actual proof for some of the things he has been accused of.

I think as @The Bronze said because of the recent Allegations against Whedon there are now people on the internet combing through everything he's ever done looking for things.
In the Joker movie they use a Gary Glitter tune. Gary Glitter is a convicted and jailed pedophile. Can you still enjoy that song ?

Mr Trick

Scooby
In the Joker movie they use a Gary Glitter tune. Gary Glitter is a convicted and jailed pedophile. Can you still enjoy that song ?
Always thought that tune was overrated anyway ;) But seriously if I like a song I like a song the person who did it isn't really going to change that. I think there are certain examples where its tough. I'm not sure I'll rewatch American Beauty for awhileo_O

VisionGirl
VisionGirl
Oh wow American Beauty. I hadn’t thought about that film. Such a great movie but...

thrasherpix

Scooby
Isn't locking someone in a room considered false imprisonment?

I honestly don't know. If someone is just being an immature jerk or prankster (and lasted less than 5 minutes), I wouldn't want them to go to jail for it, but if she was locked in there "until she saw reason" (especially for several minutes or longer) or used as a way to menace her (Joss claiming to make some phone calls to sabotage any attempt by her to file a complaint or seek justice) that seems like something that should be prosecuted (or at least investigated).

Top Bottom