• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Accusation Against Joss Whedon about Justice League filming

Mr Trick

Scooby
Isn't locking someone in a room considered false imprisonment?

I honestly don't know. If someone is just being an immature jerk or prankster (and lasted less than 5 minutes), I wouldn't want them to go to jail for it, but if she was locked in there "until she saw reason" (especially for several minutes or longer) or used as a way to menace her (Joss claiming to make some phone calls to sabotage any attempt by her to file a complaint or seek justice) that seems like something that should be prosecuted (or at least investigated).
If true yes that would come under false imprisonment. Though it does say in that link that he used a stunt double anyway. Also I have to ask if they were alone in a room together how do other people know what was said? My opinion he never said "I'll destroy your career." Besides being wrong, that would just be too risky. I thought Ray Fisher had already retracted his statement anyway?

thrasherpix

Scooby
If true yes that would come under false imprisonment. Though it does say in that link that he used a stunt double anyway. Also I have to ask if they were alone in a room together how do other people know what was said? My opinion he never said "I'll destroy your career." Besides being wrong, that would just be too risky. I thought Ray Fisher had already retracted his statement anyway?
I don't claim to know what happened. I am a big believer in "innocent until proven guilty" and scorn "trial by twitter" (and also roll my eyes whenever another feminist group gives a percentage of "those who never tell anyone" as if they would magically know--note: this is "never tell" not "never press charges" unless they're being dishonest in their wording which thus makes them unreliable narrators) but at the same time the legal system needs a MAJOR overhaul on how it treats and investigations of crimes of this nature, on multiple fronts.

However, I can believe people with a lot of social clout and best lawyers, especially if supported by an old boy network of some kind (from Hollwyood to a church clergy) would engage in outrageous behavior on a regular basis with little fear of consequence other than perhaps a transfer (IIRC, even teacher's unions have a practice called "passing the trash" so a sexually abusive teacher is sent to another school and implying the teacher is barred from teaching, even prosecuted, when that's not the case at all, just as in Hollywood, with religious and often military organizations).

Plenty without these protections do it all the time themselves. It's rampant. I actually think the reason people focus on Hollywood so much is to help feel better about all the intensive sexual harassment and abuse that goes on under their very noses at home and work (and whistleblowers find it hard to find future employment rather than hired by bosses who admire their ethics). Or like the time I was menaced by a carload of men in broad daylight on a crowded downtown street only for everyone, men and women, to turn away and pretend not to notice. And feeling guilty for that as they well should, they look for scapegoats to feel better than they are (though they're still trash, but as long as they can fool themselves into thinking they're better by finger wagging at someone else...). Some target gays. Others target Hollywood figures.

(There's also a powerful "high school" factor to Hollywood that I find hard to describe, basically people love to talk about them and treat it like middle school.)

I forget where I came across it but in some report there were FBI papers in one of the big names (got mentioned here recently, I'm not familiar enough with Hollywood to remember his name and too lazy to look it up) had PAGES of victims, including underage ones, but big Hollywood names were blacked out. (*). (I do recall it was focused on a woman who got sucked in as a runaway who was recruited and trained as a sex slave for him, and then as an adult sent to get more child sex slaves for him from Thailand but once outside the US she made her escape. Though unaware of it, he kept track of her enough that when the investigation began several years later he and his cronies, including the woman who gave her sex training, began harassing her and trying to bully her into silence, not even having the decency to offer a significant bribe. This led to conviction of the big Hollywood name, IIRC, and was investigated thoroughly by both FBI and their Australian counterparts. She, as a victim who feared for herself and her family, chose her words carefully as well.)

(* Back in the Satanic Panics, Chuck Norris was among those accused of sexually abusing children at a daycare center. Despite that plenty of people were imprisoned for imaginary crimes, I'm not aware of Chuck Norris getting so much as a phone call by the FBI. Which would be fine if the same skepticism was applied to the others so accused, but it implies Hollywood professionals have a lot of protection that most of the rest of us don't.)

ETA: just curious...do the Oprah like talk shows ever give a venue for these people to talk? They love the domestic and sexual abuse stories as it draws in viewers, and featuring Hollywood figures should surely draw in more whether as titillated, horrified, or defensive (just look at Michael Jackson), but I never heard of such. If it's not happening then that's a very bad sign that it's an even worse problem. (I don't know if they do or not, just that fans I know of these shows never mention them on said show so my impression is that they don't.)

Last edited:

Btvs fan

Scooby
Always thought that tune was overrated anyway ;) But seriously if I like a song I like a song the person who did it isn't really going to change that. I think there are certain examples where its tough. I'm not sure I'll rewatch American Beauty for awhileo_O
Yeah a movie about Kevin Spacey's fantasy about a Teenager does not age well

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
ETA: just curious...do the Oprah like talk shows ever give a venue for these people to talk? They love the domestic and sexual abuse stories as it draws in viewers, and featuring Hollywood figures should surely draw in more whether as titillated, horrified, or defensive (just look at Michael Jackson), but I never heard of such. If it's not happening then that's a very bad sign that it's an even worse problem. (I don't know if they do or not, just that fans I know of these shows never mention them on said show so my impression is that they don't.)
The Oprah Winfrey Show specifically has been off the air since 2011. I’m trying to think of other shows like that. I guess I don’t watch shows like that very often.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Which is why I said "Oprah like." I know she's off the air, but no way is the demand for such shows gone.

Antho

Scooby
Or simply someone got a pass because he did a popular show and fans elevated him to God status when in reality he could just be another creepy Hollywood director with some talent.
Your talking about a guy whose so popular even now you can find threads, excusing episodes/plots or even seasons they don't like with the oh but Joss wasn't there. Like the other writers/directors made them and Joss simply wasn't aware 🙄
Believe me I don’t idolize Joss at all. I don’t give him a free pass. I’m well aware that he is just a man and like all of us he has his defaults and he can be a bad person that’s true. However I don’t really know him IRL so I don’t want to judge. I admire his works and that’s all. The man that he is, is very different from his works. I separate both parts. Look at David Boreanaz : I love Angel, I admire David’s work because he had been on successful show for like 20 years now. I say congratulations to him. But he also cheated on his wife, was pursuit for harassment few years ago. I’m aware that he can be an asshole IRL, even if I really appreciate many YouTube videos interview with him where he seems to be a nice guy. I do the difference between on screen and off screen. We don’t know people completely. My neighbor could be a killer o_O And kill me that night😱😱.

Priceless
Priceless
But we do hope not :)

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I think nowadays it's Dr. Phil.

:)
He doesn’t do the same kind of shows (not as focused on celebrities I think). I think it’s mostly weird family members mad at each other. I was waiting for my car to be detailed once, and they had it on in the lobby. This family was on- one of the family members believed they were in a Romantic relationship with a famous person. Omg I wish I could remember who it was! Of course this was all online and this person would send her photos and stuff. And they were “married”!! It was all quite sad. And sick because you know the scamster wanted money from her.

ETA: Here it is! Tyler Perry! She thought she was married to Tyler Perry. And Dr Phil even checked with him to be sure (cant remember if it was on camera).

Last edited:
Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
Lol The only time I see Dr. Phil is when my car is at the shop!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
So, back to Ray Fisher. This interview is from 2 weeks ago I think? It’s in 2 parts. Looks like he goes into more details in part 2 about some of the aspects cut from his storyline and how he had to fight to keep some things. But this is before he came out like he did on Twitter so he wasn’t as direct about Whedon.

Haha! I guess so!

Btvs fan

Scooby
It should be said with the Grace Randolph stuff that she'd know she'd be sued to high heaven if her allegations on the Gal Gadot story aren't true

Synch

Townie
It's weird because Gal worked with Joss in several scenes:

-Wondy stopping the robbery at the bank
-Diana and Bruce talking next to the lake
-"Kal-EL NOOOO"
-"Children, I work with children" and the smile before/after that
-Diana and Bruce with his shoulder and then drinking whisky
-The Lasso of truth scene (although Gal wasn't with the rest of the cast but she filmed her part alone)
etc

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
What Kevin Smith had to say about it:

"Remember went I went to the Skywalker set and some people had worked on both Solo and Justice League? The special effects guy said there was a fair amount of trash-talking of Zack's version of the movie on-set by Joss," Smith told his co-host Marc Bernardin. "Again, this is what a special effects guy who worked on both versions of the movie told me. But that he [Whedon] would cut down, dismiss, and be negative about Zack's version, which he had seen and all these people had made together without him and stuff."

Smith added, "The guy had said he was kind of uncomfortable on-set because the people he was talking to about not liking that version of the movie were all people that had helped make that version of the movie, so that I think is probably the unprofessional thing. Like you don't do that, especially if you came in to help out during a bad moment in the director's life and stuff. But that's hearsay."

source

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
More coming out on this from Fisher at ComicCon

"I put out some pretty strong words, and some pretty strong comments about Joss Whedon and every single one of those words, and every single one of those comments is true. There is a process that is being undergone as we speak to get to the heart of everything that I'm talking about. ... The man is probably scared, and he should be because we are going to get to the heart of everything - everything - that went down."

Fisher also "promised that the coming days would see the whole truth of the matter reveal itself."

While fans clamored for Fisher to substantiate his claims with hard evidence, the actor had hinted in the past that NDA agreements were holding him back from committing more fully to his accusations. The actor maintains that the statements he has made so far are accurate and should not be seen as exaggerated slander.

"If anything I said about that man is untrue, I invite him wholeheartedly to sue me for libel, to sue me for slander."

The article is also reporting that: "Joss Whedon has so far kept quiet regarding Fisher's accusations, but the fomenting of the controversy is likely having an effect, since a Joss Whedon Panel was recently pulled from the Comic-Con 2020 schedule."

source

I wonder how and if this will affect The Nevers supposedly coming sometime in the next few years to HBO.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
So maybe I just haven't been reading carefully, but has he actually specifically said what Joss supposedly did? (Not defending Joss, just saying what I've seen so far seems pretty vague. It's also kind of spiteful for something so vague.)

Spanky
Spanky
No, he said cannot do so. He just "liked" posts saying how people were mistreated etc. The entire cast signed NDAs so they supposedly cannot speak specifics.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm confused about NDAs, surely that also means alluding to facts... like if you sign an NDA stating you won't comment about your bosses house, but you say "oh, they had a room where they did certain things".... you're alluding to something.... is that not covered by the NDA which you originally signed?

So I don't get why someone like Ray Fisher, who clearly has had an experience he can't speak about due to signing an NDA, can still allude to that experience?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I'm confused about NDAs, surely that also means alluding to facts...
It just depends on what was in the NDA. They might say for instance. You can't talk about what happened on the set. Or it might say you can't say anything negative of the movie after Snyder left.

It really just depends on the language on the NDA. I've had to sign several and they are all different about what is and isn't allowed.

One place my job was terminated I got a years severance and a non-compete, but the NDA said that if I mentioned I was fired within that year then they could sue to recoup the money they paid up until then.

Top Bottom