• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Accusation Against Joss Whedon about Justice League filming

GreyWalker1958

Potential
People have asked why he didn't mention Whedon's behavior sooner. H has finally said on Twitter that:

During the [whedon] LA reshoots for Justice League, Geoff Johns summoned me to his office to belittle and admonish my (and my agent’s) attempts to take grievances up the proper chain of command. He then made a thinly veiled threat to my career. This behavior cannot continue.

So the head of the division told him to shut it, for his own sake, so he did. That too is believable.
Only niggle there is Johns' behavior. Much as I despise the man for his part in stifling The Flash brand bringing back Barry Allen and writing the most overrated time travel story tied to the brand, Geoff doesn't have the 'tude or mean streak in him. Otherwise, everyone from Sticky Fingaz (Blade The Series) and Luke Wilson would've been hinted at that by now.

For Fisher's sake, there better be receipts or he's setting himself to go the way of Jussie Smollett

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
For Fisher's sake, there better be receipts or he's setting himself to go the way of Jussie Smollett
I’m not sure if you noticed previous postings of his co-stars’ support. Besides this is nothing like the Jussie Smollett case- he is not accusing Whedon of anything criminal. Nor were Smollett’s accusations against anyone he worked with. Are you solely comparing the two because they’re two black actors? That’s kind of lazy.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Let's not jump to conclusions.

I feel like until we know what he's really accusing Joss of, I have to reserve my judgment on it. Because he could just be accusing him of being a dick, which he's a director and it is easy to call a lot of them that, or he could be accusing Joss of doing something actually wrong.

GreyWalker1958
GreyWalker1958
Or saying all this as his way to help give Zack Snyder and his cut favor.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Yeah that's what Faith said, but I feel like, if Joss was really that bad, he would have picked something else to say. No contract in hell could make me say something nice about Mischa Barton.
Dont want to get into all that so i just ask what wrong with Mischa Barton ?

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
She’s incredibly unprofessional and not a nice person.

GreyWalker1958

Potential
I’m not sure if you noticed previous postings of his co-stars’ support. Besides this is nothing like the Jussie Smollett case- he is not accusing Whedon of anything criminal. Nor were Smollett’s accusations against anyone he worked with. Are you solely comparing the two because they’re two black actors? That’s kind of lazy.
Must be imaginary postings since as of right now, Cavill is enjoying his best Witcher/PC Building life, Gadot has WW1984, Mamoa's staying silent whether this or Amber Heard, Affleck living his happiest days sober, and Ezra's gonna Ezra.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
That's why I really don't like getting into the politics of writers or actors behind my favorite shows. It's just a whole can of worms that just makes me feel bad.

On the flip side, Buffy is right about not jumping to conclusions. It's pretty easy to get lost in the muck of "he says, she says," especially on social media. I don't make a habit of believing someone is malicious without hard evidence, not because I'm defending Whedon, but because if the allegations are true, they should be taken seriously with the proper evidence to back them, not just passed around like salt and pepper.

Heck, most of us here are probably not even gonna meet Joss in person, so most of this is hearsay. It's difficult to say whether if he's actually difficult to work with in person.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Agreed . This isnt ther first time we heard the things about him & while if their true somerthing should be done as soon as possable . But we shouldn't talk about
them like they fresh gossip . That just tacky .

[U]Buffy Summers[/U] She’s incredibly unprofessional and not a nice person.
I thought she was but i not going to argue since you could very well be right .
I haven heard abiout her for some time so that why i asked .

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
It's difficult to say whether if he's actually difficult to work with in person.
The Buffy cast have said stuff in the past about Joss at times so I can easily believe that he can be difficult, especially if he is in a bad mood or something. However, I find it hard to believe he'd be like that in general on set. JM has had a couple of less positive interactions with Joss during filming Season 2, however later in the series, he was part of the little club of cast that would go to Joss' house. AH didn't want to sing in OMWF, so Joss wrote the episode so she had minimal singing lines (I think she had two lines in Walk through the fire) and she and AD are godparents to Whedon's son.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
The Buffy cast have said stuff in the past about Joss at times so I can easily believe that he can be difficult, especially if he is in a bad mood or something. However, I find it hard to believe he'd be like that in general on set. JM has had a couple of less positive interactions with Joss during filming Season 2, however later in the series, he was part of the little club of cast that would go to Joss' house. AH didn't want to sing in OMWF, so Joss wrote the episode so she had minimal singing lines (I think she had two lines in Walk through the fire) and she and AD are godparents to Whedon's son.
Yeah, that's the thing. You hear these things about one star being amicable with Joss, and another may not, but it's still just from a second-handed perspective. I can be quite an emotionally volatile person, so I know how difficult it is to manage your emotions and actions at the worst of times, and while it doesn't excuse such behavior, it's not really fair to say any person would be necessarily appalling because of occasional outbursts, especially when you're a director with the stress and responsibility of managing an entire cast. Things get heated up sometimes and tensions occur. A lot of that context gets lost amidst the noises and gets passed on like bad gas to the putrid platform of social media.

ChaseRules

Sineya
But on the other hand some directors get fed up with things & take it out on people .

Plusc filming a movie is different then a TV show so the stress is different between them .

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
More on this. Fisher tweets:

After 5 weeks of interviews with various cast/crew, @WarnerMedia has officially launched an independent third-party investigation to get to the heart of the toxic and abusive work environment created during Justice League reshoots. This is a MASSIVE step forward!

I believe this investigation will show that Geoff Johns, Joss Whedon, Jon Berg (and others) grossly abused their power during the uncertainty of AT&T’s merger with Time Warner. Thank you @WarnerMedia and @ATT for making strides to ensure a safer workplace for all!

katmobile

Scooby
Agreed . This isnt ther first time we heard the things about him & while if their true somerthing should be done as soon as possable . But we shouldn't talk about
them like they fresh gossip . That just tacky .

[U]Buffy Summers[/U] She’s incredibly unprofessional and not a nice person.
I thought she was but i not going to argue since you could very well be right .
I haven heard abiout her for some time so that why i asked .
Did you have the misfortune to work with her? One of my friends worked with Ally Hannigan - thankfully she's nice.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Did you have the misfortune to work with her? One of my friends worked with Ally Hannigan - thankfully she's nice.
Do you have any details from your friend about Ally ?
Just curious :D

katmobile

Scooby
Do you have any details from your friend about Ally ?
Just curious :D
She invited one of the actresses she was working with to a party in LA with her and Alexis. He popped in too while he was working on the production to and was nice. It was the production of When Harry Met Sally also starring Luke Perry aka Pike in the Buffy film - he was a good dude too apparently according to my friend. He was really great in the production actually - he really impressed, Ally was ok but she was a bit shouty and it was obvious she hadn't done a lot of stage work while Luke Perry had.

white avenger

white avenger
I heard about this awhile ago, but then I thought that it had all been quietly settled

So, what do you think? Does this lower your opinion of Whedon, assuming, of course, that the accusations turn out to be true?

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I watched that twice but neither time did I hear what Joss is meant to have done or said.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Do we know what Joss is actually accused of or is he being left to be tarred and feathered in the court of public opinion where nobody really knows anything?

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'm bored enough to check this out. Immediate thoughts:

1. If true, it's funny in a way because Joss has complained of the same type of behavior, such as when he made the Buffy movie (which I believe he walked out on as he was so mad). I can believe it's true because at virtually all levels of society is a "snitches get stitches" even if only in a metaphorical way.

Whistle blowers rarely fare well, and though you're told to fight back (whether in court, Human Resources, or school bullies), you'll be the one blamed if you do, and often they'll pretend you never spoke up in the first place when they punish you for snitching or fighting back rather than allowing yourself to be kicked (literally or metaphorically).

Even if they throw someone under the bus, it won't change anything. People rose up in this kind of environment aren't keen on changing it. They thrived, so they think others should suck it up as well (though of course they'll magnify their own hardships while minimizing the hardships of others, as is human nature).

I could cite how bad behaviors are actually encouraged in authority figures (including producers, executives, etc--and one psychiatrist who said if he couldn't study psychopaths in prison then he'd go to Wall Street) but that's a much larger issue of which this would be merely a fruit of that tree.

2. Getting tired of anonymous reports. I typically ignore them. If an article says "may" or "might" there's a 99% chance I'll automatically skip over it. And twitter mobs are even more unreliable than actual news organizations, which are bad enough as it is.

3. Why even be anonymous in cases like this? If they cite specifics, AND assuming the specifics are true, then those accused will know very well who snitched (even if there are multiple witnesses, they should have a good idea based on what was said and other factors), and since it's anonymous they can more easily get their revenge behind the scenes since in theory they don't know who snitched, but in actuality do. That is, in this case (assuming the allegations are true) it seems to me that it would protect the abusers more than the abused.

Finally, if WHAT turns out to be true? There's nothing solid yet. If he was being a jerk who threw some temper tantrums (or said other movies were crap, like I believe he said about Cruel Intentions that Sarah was less than pleased with, and presumably had other problems with him as the series progressed) then no (and if the stories of how he treated Charisma Carpenter are true then he'd have to be especially bad to outdo that). I already expect that he is, and so are most in his profession. If it's something more serious...well, that depends on what comes up. I usually skip the celebrity gossip, though.

white avenger

white avenger
I had thought that the original charges had been settled, and this was a whole new affair, In any case, I can see how Joss might be more than a little testy about anything connected with "Justice League," seeing as how his job there was basically finishing up someone else's movie, knowing that Snyder would get all the credit if it was a success, while he would get all the blame if it bombed. That sort of situation could make anyone at least a little resentful and hard to get along with. I can't help but wonder, if this had turned out to be the same sort of blockbuster success that the original "Avengers" had been, would anything have ever been said about it.

As far as I have seen so far, Joss has made no real official statement, either about this or the upcoming release of Snyder's original version of the movie.

Top Bottom