• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Actors, their bodies and our self-image

Stephan

It's a great show. But no need to get all riled up
Do you feel “happy” when an actor’s body change? Specifically, when they gain weight or don’t look all muscle-toned anymore? I don’t mean it in a bad way, but more in “oh, thank god, they are human too” kind of way. Am I the only one? Is this horrible to say or think? I was looking at pictures of Rihanna and Jennifer Love Hewitt and I felt better about myself, my weight has greatly fluctuated through the years (right now, I’m in the middle between feeling thin and feeling fat using my own personal metric).

Lizzy95

Townie
I think it's normal to feel this way. We're shown very attractive and usually extremely thin people setting our own expectations very high (we want to be pretty and thin). The same happens with personal life IMO. It's refreshing to know that they also have "human" problems. As you said, not in a bad way, you might feel bad for whatever happen to them but those problems might be relatable and you can feel sympathy and empathy.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Do you feel “happy” when an actor’s body change? Specifically, when they gain weight or don’t look all muscle-toned anymore? I don’t mean it in a bad way, but more in “oh, thank god, they are human too” kind of way. Am I the only one? Is this horrible to say or think? I was looking at pictures of Rihanna and Jennifer Love Hewitt and I felt better about myself, my weight has greatly fluctuated through the years (right now, I’m in the middle between feeling thin and feeling fat using my own personal metric).
If I like the actor, I don't feel "happy" when they gain weight or lose those washboard abs. (Especially if they're caught by the paparazzi) I feel sad and want to hug them. It's sooo difficult keeping one's body looking "perfect."

On the other hand, if it's an actor I don't like, well...I get a kick out of seeing them look like a beached whale. :p

However, I do understand your point. Sometimes, seeing a celebrity (who had a great body) suddenly bloat up is very...comforting. You exhale and think, "Ah ha!! Welcome to my world!" Then you grab the cheese puffs and twizzlers....

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
I'm hanging out with my brother this weekend, and he has more muscle-mass than the Hemsworth brothers put together. I don't really need celebrities to feel inadequate :p

I am in descent shape myself. I've gotten a bit pudgy this winter, but I've lost most of that extra weight now. I am planning to work on my upper body strength, but that is mostly for toning, because I am tall and broad and therefore naturally quite strong.

Competing with celebrities and friends just drives just insane. And we always compete with those who are slightly better looking than ourselves. I have plenty of chubby friends with thinning hair, but I feel like I need to look like my athletic friends, and I don't really have it in me to be super fit.

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
To be honest...my body image is already very strange, and I don't need to compare myself to celebs. It's just no help. When an actor/actress gains weight it usually makes me anxious, because I get paranoid about gaining weight. However, when it comes to me, I can't really compare myself to most celebrities, at least not right now, It's not even a close comparison. I am much smaller than almost all prominent actors and actresses. So, it's not exactly relatable when they gain weight. On the other hand, when famous people recover from eating disorders, that does help me!

Black Thorn
I don't like the way I look at all so I don't even try to compare myself to attractive celebrities even if they have put on weight. It does remind me they are just people too though.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Not really. It actually helps with the immersion into the story for me when it doesn't seem almost everyone (even most to all extras) looks like a crew of Hollywood makeup artists and such have been working on them for an hour just to look like a human being (and probably photoshopped to boot). The Harry Potter movies are a very good example, btw, of both how normal looking people enhance a story for me as well as changing bodies.

That said, I didn't quite care about how David_Boreanaz as Angel progressed. It's nothing against the actor, in fact I remember he had some health issues at the time and I'm sympathetic. It's just Angel is supposed to be an immortal who doesn't age, and so sometimes it's jarring comparing him from s1 Buffy to s5 Angel. But that is purely an aesthetic quibble story-wise. If he were human then I'd actually like it because it would fit his story and it would be like seeing him grown and change mentally and physically. As it is, I do my best to imagine him younger. If made today I'd hope they'd use their FX to make him look about the same body-wise all the way through.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I keep thinking if I was being paid a million dollars for ten week's work like some actors, I am sure I could find a way to keep my weight at the ideal level, especially if the contract had weight limits in it. I have noticed some actors like Kirstie Alley or Oprah Winfrey or Anna Nicole Smith have had huge cycles in their weight but I don't get any schadenfreude joy from it.

With the average person being obese or overweight these days, maybe it's a good idea to have thin people as an ideal. Once upon a time (not too many decades ago) airliner designers used 150 pounds as the average passenger weight. Now it's 195 pounds and I think that's a little low. With heart disease and diabetes being major causes of death, I don't feel it is unreasonable to have thin people being promoted as healthy.

Octavia
Octavia
Yeah, its not like they cant afford the food, personal cooks, dietitians and trainers.. If real people could have that we'd all be a picture of health!

thrasherpix

Scooby
BMI is not a healthy standard for most people. That is, healthy thin is different from BMI thin and Hollywood thin. And it's not like deviating from that means everyone should be chubby or more, that would be just as jarring.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Hollywood/tv has always been a world away from my reality. They have always been unrealistically pretty puppets to me.

Its only recently that I have had a little more compassion for myself when I see actors hospitalised with exhaustion, drug or mental issues. These people look to have it all and still suck at life on occasion. So I can relate to you point but through a different vice.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
The BMI method of deliberating if a person is overweight or not is totally crap. According to the BMI even a fit healthy person can be obese. You need be anorexic to be BMI healthy.
What is it about actors who are overweight, who knows if they have a secret role in an upcoming film that they need to put 20 lbs weight on for?

NileQT87
NileQT87
It's not crap, unless you're a bodybuilder. People don't like what it says. I'm smack-dab in the center of normal (visibly accurate). I'd have to lose 22 lbs. to reach the lowest normal BMI. I'm soft/small-boned and I'd look better down about 10 lbs.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
With heart disease and diabetes being major causes of death, I don't feel it is unreasonable to have thin people being promoted as healthy.
My brother was massively overweight, had diabetes, sleep apnea, and congestive heart failure. (He died of a heart attack in late June, far too young!) My parents had offered to pay for a gastric bypass surgery (several times) but he was afraid he'd never wake up or something.

I definitely feel that being thinner is FAR healthier than being overweight. This current trend of "Accept yourself as you are, your size doesn't matter," isn't helping anyone. In fact, it rather promotes obesity somewhat.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
agree to a degree
Black Thorn
definitely feel that being thinner is FAR healthier than being overweight. This current trend of "Accept yourself as you are, your size doesn't matter," isn't helping anyone. In fact, it rather promotes obesity somewhat.
I definitely agree with that. I think there should be some diversity of body types though, not particularly unhealthy but not the typical celebrity type. As someone who is overweight (though not massively), it is unhealthy and I'm not comfortable with people who are clearly going to die young from weight related issues being glorified.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
I definitely agree with that. I think there should be some diversity of body types though, not particularly unhealthy but not the typical celebrity type. As someone who is overweight (though not massively), it is unhealthy and I'm not comfortable with people who are clearly going to die young from weight related issues being glorified.
I've had issues with anorexia for SO many years, it's insane. My father was diabetic and very heavy (he died when I was 17) so we all inherited that "fat gene" or whatever it's called.

On one hand, I do believe that being thinner is healthier, yet on the other hand, I do not like the idea of people dying from starving themselves. Food should never become "the enemy" because life is just too short...

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
Medically, being a little overweight (not obese or massively overweight, just a bit heavier) is shown to be much healthier than being a bit underweight. In fact, people who are a little overweight are shown to have a higher life expectancy. This could be, however, influenced by the inaccuracy of the BMI test, which could be saying that people are "a little overweight" when they are really just muscular. I don't know. Still, being underweight has a much higher mortality weight, and is faster acting. Being very skinny will kill you quicker than being fat. Generally being overweight can lead to side effects that can kill you, but not as many people die just from being overweight. There have been many studies that have proven that being clinically underweight has a higher fatality than being obese.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Not everyone who is unhappy with the often "heroin chic" style is out to glorify or even accept obesity as natural. Plenty of us don't want either extreme glorified.

Furthermore, not wanting "heroin chic" to be the norm doesn't mean we can't realize how ridiculous it gets when say SMG gets hated on for wanting to watch her weight.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
If medical professionals say the optimum weight for you is a specific weight then slightly above or below are not ideal weights, unless you term it to be mentally acceptable.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I like to see actors and celebrities let themselves go naturally as they get older rather than chase a younger body and face, cos they seem happier. Embrace the grey hair and wrinkles. Courtney Cox was one who got her fillers removed cos she said she'd stopped looking like herself, and she's pretty candid about it, which I respect. It must have been hard to age when you're on tv reruns forever in your 20's and 30's.

katmobile

Scooby
My brother was massively overweight, had diabetes, sleep apnea, and congestive heart failure. (He died of a heart attack in late June, far too young!) My parents had offered to pay for a gastric bypass surgery (several times) but he was afraid he'd never wake up or something.

I definitely feel that being thinner is FAR healthier than being overweight. This current trend of "Accept yourself as you are, your size doesn't matter," isn't helping anyone. In fact, it rather promotes obesity somewhat.
Sorry but it really doesn't. A lot of obesity is comfort eating which is what you when you feel like shite about yourself shaming won't help that also watch Supersize Me - corporate culture pushes fatty foods.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Sorry but it really doesn't. A lot of obesity is comfort eating which is what you when you feel like shite about yourself shaming won't help that also watch Supersize Me - corporate culture pushes fatty foods.
I've noticed that you've quoted a few of my posts recently. That's so adorable. However, I really have nothing acceptable to say here.

Feel free to imagine my true response. 😊

Top Bottom