• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Adult (lol as if) Education

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
So I've just signed up for an online course and I was wondering for those of you that are classed as adults (18+), do you, are you, have you, ever done courses (adult education) by choice as an adult? If so what have you done and have you passed them and enjoyed them? How many hours a week have you studied and how easy did you find managing your time?

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
I would like to, but it's that, money, time, effort thing.

Reactions: Nix

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
I would like to, but it's that, money, time, effort thing.
Thankfully I got a time limited deal and got £360 off the course I am doing! Time and effort wise... we shall see how that goes!

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
I went back to school when I was 21 and stuck through it for 18 months before I broke down and dropped out due to stress (hair-falling-out stress, even) so I'm probably not a great example :)

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
have you, ever done courses (adult education) by choice as an adult?
Yes.
If so what have you done
Got a marketing certificate from Berkeley
Got an MBA from Rutgers
Got an Associate Degree in Advertising Design from Sessions
(Berkeley and Sessions ran concurrently)
and have you passed them
Yes.
enjoyed them?
Kinda. Some more than others
How many hours a week have you studied
Maybe five or six. It's easy to lose track of time.
how easy did you find managing your time?
Pretty easy.

Nix
Nix
Awesome so if I get stuck I can ask for help!!!!! lol :)
Reactions: Nix

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
I went back to school when I was 21 and stuck through it for 18 months before I broke down and dropped out due to stress (hair-falling-out stress, even) so I'm probably not a great example :)
I tried going back to school last February...and I just couldn't deal with it. I had a psychology instructor who was a complete whacko and a control freak. First, she told the class that if she saw anyone looking at their cell phone she was going to take it...and return it after class. "I'm allowed to do that, you know." What a fruit loop. Oh, and she singled me out during a lecture:

Instructor: "Why aren't you taking notes?"
Me: "When I hear something worth writing down, I'll take notes."

I lasted two weeks, then I quit.

W

WillowFromBuffy

I am 30 and I've been a full time student since the age of 6, except for one year in the army. I used to fail a lot, now I get straight As most semesters. Do I enjoy it or am I just afraid to leave? I don't know. Don't ask!

I have a bachelor's in pedagogy, a bachelor's in English and I am currently writing an master's in English.

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think it depends as well on if it's an at home distance learning course or a school setting. A dedicated time with other adults to learn, for me, I think would be easier than, working alone by myself at home, as I think I would get distracted too much at home.

Spanky

Black Thorn
I would get distracted too much at home.
You need a dedicated area that is for work only. Only thing you do there is work. I worked from home for about two years. It took me a while to figure out how to work properly. Then it took me a while after that to disregard everything I knew to do and start to slack off. I decided to go back to the office and now just work from home sporadically.

For schooling stuff there are a lot of advantages from doing at home; especially if you have a virtual classroom with webcams. I hated that though as it forced me to wear clothes and what not.

Professor Walsh
Professor Walsh
Oh, how I wish I had a dedicated area. That would require a bigger house, though, and if we are to afford a bigger house I must work too much to study.

Professor Walsh

Feminist slayerette
Black Thorn
Come New Year, I have done about two years' worth of University Credits after I had kids and all. A light load is manageable alongside work and kids, but when the load gets heavier - well, you see how frequently I am here.

TriBel

Scooby
do you, are you, have you, ever done courses (adult education) by choice as an adult? If so what have you done
I did a Foundation Year in Fashion and Design when I was about 23 but never managed to complete the full degree because it meant moving to the other side of the UK and it wasn't practical. I finally went to university full-time when my youngest child started school (I had three kids in 15 months - uni was easier than staying at home as a single parent). I did a Bachelors - got a First and that helped me get a full scholarship for my PhD. I taught at uni while doing the latter and I've never left.

Sorry - can't help you with time management - I'm rubbish at it. I just work...but it doesn't feel like work so it's okay.
Do I enjoy it or am I just afraid to leave? I don't know. Don't ask!
I won't ask - I have the same predicament. ;)

Professor Walsh
Professor Walsh
Three kids in fifteen months? I salute you.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Most of my adult education comes from experience :p but that is more useful than book learning for animal/plant care and raising anyway. I had to do a bunch of certificates to teach riding but they were so easy, I'd never consider them work. I continue my self-learning in hippotherapy but was qualified years ago. The course was too basic imo and kids here are not getting the benefits they deserve. Unfortunately I need TONS of money to train a horse to the level I "see" it needing to be in this state, so it'll never happen.

I did a few of those free short online courses for gardening, again not difficult enough to be considered work and I certainly dont get paid for it.

I did german at TAFE (trade school?) But dont use it and forgot it. I would love to complete the course in Auslan but at $3000 odd a semester its just not viable. I teach myself what I can from online videos. I just started some basic filipino from youtube too.

My brain works best first thing in the morning, so thats my recommendation in time management.

Goodluck for your course!

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
You need a dedicated area that is for work only. Only thing you do there is work.
Yeah I currently don't have space for that, my desk now houses my sewing machine, as I have no where else for that to go. One day I'll have a nice big desk that I can use for both.

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
I did part of a degree while working in my early twenties. Unfortunately I'd also just bought a house and had zero money to fund the remaining years. The credits have expired now so if I wanted to restart it'd be from scratch.

I remember it being fairly easy, up until deadlines were hovering! I did quite well considering! I passed those modules, it's just a shame I couldn't (and now can't ever) carry that on.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
Okay, so you did a degree in your early twenties was it for History, was there much history that long ago? tee hee

Spanky

Black Thorn
I think the worst/hardest part were the proctored exams. Didn't like that. But hey.

Top Bottom