• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Adult (lol as if) Education

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
How did it go @Nix?

I was looking again to go to uni this year cos I have too much spare time that really gets me down when I cant fill it. But I HATE the uni culture and sorta think if secondhand books are outdated within 5 years of print, pethaps it shouldnt be being taught to students as the ultimate in education...

Turns out my highschool grades were high enough for the top uni in the state. I didnt have guidence so did not know and never applied to it. I can still access UWA on those grades now. The big issue for me is books and fees. HECS will cover the bulk but the yearly fees, and need for NEW books priced me right out. Its actually cheaper to go on an overseas cruise...

I have looked into online learning and do live remote enough to qualify for some little grants for this, but there is no one to help across the board. There is too much I dont know about the systems to tackle it alone.

I also had a bit of an ephiphany in regards to getting back into study. So far both of my Uni attempts have been on campus Science based. It occured to me that my lawyer friends had 11 contact hours a week, where as i had 26hours per week in science. So if I do ever grow the balls to give it another go, I am not gona straight up go for a course with a heap of on campus lab hours. Plus in chatting to others who did complete,they chose reguritation type courses where all ya gotta do is repeat what smarter people have written before you. I am good at that lol.

I need to have at least $3000 to access any higher learning, thats a lot of money for someone who just wants to fill time. It would buy me my hippo horse! Having been out on some environmental reseach sites recently I would just love to do that with life but realistically that is not an option for a dropkick disabled rural woman, unless she wins lotto.

I have a definite drive to learn, as I am sure many do here, but accessing anything past the basics seems out of reach for us living in poverty or with disabilities without parental/finacial support.

Meliza

Scooby
One can post on the school forums and social media for secondhand textbooks/books. Government employment programs can help with filling out school stuff. One class per semester to start and get back into the swing of things is advisable. There are a lot of online courses in the style of khan academy. There are also places offering design and more technical courses with video tutorial, live teaching. I think online learning is to intimidating for me right now, without the on hand help, after completing associates at a smaller community college, I am definitely going for a specified certificate for employment prospects..

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Some of the people I've known who have been taught at those places are not what I'd refer to as adult.

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
secondhand textbooks/books. Government employment programs can help with filling out school stuff.
The last two times I went to uni they advised not to get secondhand books because the information was outdated. They told us in the first week of cognitive neuroscience that the information would be outdated by the end of the course. Now I am rethinking this uni again haha, I can learn from outdated material for free in the library. I just wont get a degree for it.

Also its not the school paperwork I need help figuring out, i've managed that before. Its the welfare paperwork. Going back to study means switching to study payments. The system is a nightmare to navigate and I've ended up on the streets before when its been cut off. That scares me it'll happen again. Its safer not to mess with what it is set at but my job capacity is accessed at under 8 hours and I am so, so bored. I dont want another year of that.

Free learning only gets you so far. There is no challenge. I am thinking I'll find old curriculums as guides and write my own content. I'll just never know if its right without it being marked hah.

Top Bottom