• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

African American Slayer

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
source www.thewrap.com

Just did a google search and Sarah Michelle Gellar said she confirmed in February 2019 that she will not be in any reboot of the next Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She did confirm that the lead role for the next slayer would be a African American as it stood in February 2019. It is unclear if the new slayer will use the name Buffy Summers. It looks to be that the working theory would have another Buffy Summers and she would be a African American woman. If that is true, it would be a African American cast members and I am sure the target group would be for the African American community.

Taake

I can kill you with my brain
Staff member
Black Thorn
I imagine the target group would be teens (if it remains a teen show) and old fans, of all communities.

My hope is that she won’t be called Buffy, regardless of the actress, but I guess we can only wait and see. If she is called Buffy I’d still check it out, out of curiosity.

white avenger

white avenger
Doesn't that pretty much fly in the face of the whole original premise? Buffy was supposed to be the dumb blobde valley girl whose major goals in life were to "Graduate high school, marry Christian Slater, and die." I can't see any self respecting African American actress trying to play that sort of shallow role, regardless of how the character evolved over the years. And does this mean that they are going to recast Angel as Blacula? (Please tell me there's someone here besides me old enough to remember that vampire abomination. Just in case...)

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I'm hoping they go with another "Buffy Summers." Like, there was a "Elizabeth Sommers," or Blonde Buffy and Black Buffy share a common ancestor and namesake. Buffy is a pretty valuable trademark, and I don't think they will just let it go.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
There seems to be a trend to tick the diversity box but I wonder if it will be seen as an antidote for racism or as the continuation of the blaxploitation films of the 1970's. Diversity Charmed has paved the way but this is old news. The writer/showrunner for Black Buffy has been selected but to date, no one has stepped up with money or a greenlight for the project. There are no scripts, no customers (among the networks and cable outlets) and limited chance this will ever see the light of day.

Taake

I can kill you with my brain
Staff member
Black Thorn
Doesn't that pretty much fly in the face of the whole original premise? Buffy was supposed to be the dumb blobde valley girl whose major goals in life were to "Graduate high school, marry Christian Slater, and die." I can't see any self respecting African American actress trying to play that sort of shallow role, regardless of how the character evolved over the years. And does this mean that they are going to recast Angel as Blacula? (Please tell me there's someone here besides me old enough to remember that vampire abomination. Just in case...)
But the original premise has already been done, and you could argue that the reason for the premise (blonde walks into alley and dies) is not really standard in horror movies now either so there is no reason to keep treading the same waters. We don't need to see that Buffy again.

Surely, a new Buffy would be a new Buffy, not just a re-hash of the dumb valley girl gone super hero. Also, it's not like all characters have to be of one race. I imagine the goal is to achieve the exact opposite of that.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman

I do not have a problem with a African American woman to play the part of a slayer. I would have a problem if her character name is Buffy Summers back again as a teenager dealing with her family and friends. And, back again were there is only one slayer, so the story would undermine Kendra, Faith and the vast amount of other slayers that came at the end of the series. I do not want it to be like the reboot of Star Trek with the Kelvin timeline, that only confirmed that with a infinite level of possible stories -- you can only go over the same characters and alter their cannon.

If we are going to have Buffy, Dawn, Joyce, Willow, Angle, Spike and so on being African American, and the vampires and demons are all African American -- then your going to have a problem. With the new series, you will have a vocal group making the argument that the Buffy and other characters were racists, and if your a fan of these characters, it only proves to them: you must be a racist as well. I do not want to declared a racist because I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

genghiskhan
genghiskhan
It’s already been said. It’s a continuation not Buffy 2.0

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
But the original premise has already been done, and you could argue that the reason for the premise (blonde walks into alley and dies) is not really standard in horror movies now either so there is no reason to keep treading the same waters. We don't need to see that Buffy again.

Surely, a new Buffy would be a new Buffy, not just a re-hash of the dumb valley girl gone super hero. Also, it's not like all characters have to be of one race. I imagine the goal is to achieve the exact opposite of that.
It's still a cliche to kill off African American characters early in horror films (despite movies like Get Out and Us) so maybe that could be the one they break?

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I just hate remakes as a rule. The story was told, it was told well. End of.

There cannot be enough strong women on TV - create a new show with fresh ideas and a fresh cast.

I literally have zero faith in this working out and I'm dreading the release.

genghiskhan
genghiskhan
Nothing has happened in months. I’m not even sure it’s going to be a thing at this point.

TriBel

Scooby
It looks to be that the working theory would have another Buffy Summers and she would be a African American woman. If that is true, it would be a African American cast members and I am sure the target group would be for the African American community.
The Wire had a mostly African American / Black / PoC cast - I don't think its target audience was African American (ditto The Corner). Most of the people I knew who watched it were white, middle-class intellectuals. Toni Morrison's novels aren't read solely by African Americans (some black men took umbrage at her portrayal of them).
With the new series, you will have a vocal group making the argument that the Buffy and other characters were racists, and if your a fan of these characters, it only proves to them: you must be a racist as well. I do not want to declared a racist because I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
I don't understand this argument. My liking for Spike doesn't make me a racist. I'd like to see someone suggest otherwise.

I liked the Giles mini - there's a whole African vampire mythology the show could draw on.

genghiskhan
genghiskhan
I would have thought, since it’s most likely aimed at teenagers it would probably be a diverse cast with 3 or 4 PoC and a few white ones.

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
@genghiskhan I know! Was just saying the other day that the lack of news is promising for me. I'm dreading the day I wake up to news of anything official like casting.
To me, it seems like they were trying to see if they got much of a hype from it so they would know if it would have a sizeable audience or not. Buffy fans seem to be struck down the middle between loving the idea and hating it and it’s hard to get a new audience involved when it’s marketed as a Buffy the Vampire Slayer continuation.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
The Wire had a mostly African American / Black / PoC cast - I don't think its target audience was African American (ditto The Corner).
Same with the Chi.

TriBel

Scooby
@genghiskhan I would have thought, since it’s most likely aimed at teenagers it would probably be a diverse cast with 3 or 4 PoC and a few white ones. I agree. Seems to me that Lucifer has a nice mix - (albeit the two leads are white) as does Runaways.
Same with the Chi.
Sorry - had to google it - not seen it. :)

Spanky

Black Thorn
Sorry - had to google it - not seen it. :)
I think it will be like the Wire in so far as not many actually saw it when it aired but later it became seminal. You should check it out. Great cast.

TriBel
TriBel
Thanks!

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
Read this, all. It covers it.

But basically, yes, the new actress playing the new Slayer will be black, that we know.

We also know this will be a reboot, not a remake. It was suggested that the reboot will take place in the same universe, but with new characters, and a new Slayer.

Spanky

Black Thorn
I would love for there to be an African American slayer!!!
I would go so far as to say I don't want an African American slayer to be the series lead.
An African American Buffy, yes, I can wholly get behind that idea.

I hope to God that it's not Buffy. I usually oppose reboots but this especially this one (nothing to do with race). The story has been told very well and I think that they could've carried on with the series after 2003 (Angel too). I wouldn't oppose a continuation of the show with a new cast that look somewhat the same.
But, if they're gonna make a new series based on BTVS, make a new storyline about a slayer that was activated in "Chosen" and put her in another Hellmouth (like in Cleveland or in England).

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Just what I would have said.
Top Bottom