• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

African American Slayer

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
One possibility I’ve dreamt up is a black Faith as the lead dealing with living in golden girl Buffy’s shadow (I’m thinking she stays dead in this timeline so we don’t have to deal with a character of Buffy who acts as a bit of an antagonist, just in terms of Faith’s pressure to live up to that legend.)
They need a Buffy so they can keep using the brand recognisability name of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Oh & people really hated Dawn for some reason but thought she had really shiny hair.
😆

POSTER: Reasons I hate Dawn:

1. She's annoying.
2. She's terrible at eating ice cream.

*Sometime later*

100. Buffy had to sacrifice herself to save her.

Dawn is really terrible but I like her hair, it's so shiny!

Honoria Dedlock

Potential
Is she gonna be token black or actually speak to a black experience of America? I don’t think diversity-washing characters from a white perspective is the greatest form of representation. I hope they go the new names, new characters route so the show runner can explore the emotional demons that actually speak to a black experience & it’s not just window dressing. One possibility I’ve dreamt up is a black Faith as the lead dealing with living in golden girl Buffy’s shadow (I’m thinking she stays dead in this timeline so we don’t have to deal with a character of Buffy who acts as a bit of an antagonist, just in terms of Faith’s pressure to live up to that legend.)
When I first watched the series, I always wondered why they didn't cast Faith as a black actress...maybe they felt they had been there done that with Kendra, but Faiths particular alienation in Sunnydale felt like it would have fit perfectly with her character arc.

Then again, you could argue she would have just been a racist caricature of a black impoverished criminal.

It's a shame they killed off Kendra so early...bury your blacks along with bury your gays syndrome (Larry, Tara).

The first slayer was African if I recall correctly, and I remember Buffy saying something really racist to her about her hair? Something about it being unprofessional? I think it was in restless?

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
The first slayer was African if I recall correctly, and I remember Buffy saying something really racist to her about her hair? Something about it being unprofessional? I think it was in restless?
Yes, after telling Sineya that she is nothing like her, Buffy asks her to think about what impression her untamed hair makes in the workplace. What makes that joke particularly nasty is that you couldn't make it unless you knew something about the discrimination women of colour face in the workplace and how much money some spend and the pain they endure to make their hair conform to white standards of respectability.

Buffy comes from a fairly conservative white middle class family background. All her friends in Sunnydale and Hemery are white. She has to figure out the world bit by bit. A couple episode later, she will express some thinly veiled homophobia towards Tara and her weird witchy circle of friends.

Last edited:

Altoz

Potential
In the latest episode of Doctor Who ("Fugitive of the Judoom") , it looks like a future/alternate incarnation of the Doctor is a black woman. Great! I'm all for diversity and inclusion in television. And I fail to see what the problem with the possibility of a contemporary black female slayer is. Or an Hispanic slayer. Or Native American, Asia/Pacific et al. Come to think of it, a significant proportion of future slayers and vampires both are going to be Chinese or Indian.

Priceless

Scooby
I am looking forward to seeing how they write this new Slayer. Her skin colour might make a difference, or it might not, it depends on which route they take. There is of course an argument that being black makes a massive difference to people's lives especially in America, but there's also the other side that says 'I'm exactly the same as you, except for my skin colour' . . . I think it's a tightrope for a writer and it'll be interesting to see, especially if they are directing the show to a predominantly black audience or if they want a large white/mixed audience.

The new Doctor is simply a Doctor who is black. It says nothing about what being black means in the modern UK. I think a new vampire slayer show will dig a bit deeper than that and deal with racism, poverty, crime, drugs etc. etc. Maybe not. The new slayer might be exactly like Buffy except with black skin.

TriBel
TriBel
I'm with them both on a) the length of Jodie's trousers and b) the awfulness of the new Doctor's blouse. Perhaps they'll bond over poor fashion sense (slightly sexist but I don't care). I miss the Drs. Converse.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The new Doctor is simply a Doctor who is black.
The new slayer might be exactly like Buffy except with black skin.
That's the difference between the two I think. That particular version of the Doctor just so happened to be a black woman, it wasn't making a massive thing about it or patting itself on the back going "look how diverse we're being". I did think the earlier episode at the spa place got very preachy at the end in regards to Global Warming/Climate Change which kind of ruined the episode (that and some of the obviously stupid decisions made by the characters).

The only thing we know about this reboot is that they're going to have a black slayer, and it stinks a little of political correctness. It's not a case of they audition actresses and the best one just so happens to be black, it's a "white women need not apply" scenario.

Give Us A Kiss
Give Us A Kiss
Political Correctness is ruining TV...

Priceless

Scooby
That's the difference between the two I think. That particular version of the Doctor just so happened to be a black woman, it wasn't making a massive thing about it or patting itself on the back going "look how diverse we're being". I did think the earlier episode at the spa place got very preachy at the end in regards to Global Warming/Climate Change which kind of ruined the episode (that and some of the obviously stupid decisions made by the characters).

The only thing we know about this reboot is that they're going to have a black slayer, and it stinks a little of political correctness. It's not a case of they audition actresses and the best one just so happens to be black, it's a "white women need not apply" scenario.
Agree about Doctor Who, the PC-ness is off the charts, but the Judoon episode was the best we've had in a long time.

As for the reboot, I think it's fine to have a black slayer, or any colour/religion/ethnicity slayer. I'm excited to see it. But I do think that if they ignore what being black in today's America means , they'll lose a lot of the audience, but if they set it very firmly within black America, they'll lose audience . . . if that makes sense? I'd love a new Slayer show that crosses over and appeals to everyone.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Agree about Doctor Who, the PC-ness is off the charts, but the Judoon episode was the best we've had in a long time.

As for the reboot, I think it's fine to have a black slayer, or any colour/religion/ethnicity slayer. I'm excited to see it. But I do think that if they ignore what being black in today's America means , they'll lose a lot of the audience, but if they set it very firmly within black America, they'll lose audience . . . if that makes sense? I'd love a new Slayer show that crosses over and appeals to everyone.
Agree about the Judoon episode, plus we got to see Captain Jack back.

They're best bet might be to go for a mixed race slayer, that in itself creates it's own issue in-world (too white to be black, too black to be white), plus an interracial couple where the man is black and the woman is white is still quite a taboo thing to show on tv.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Agree about the Judoon episode, plus we got to see Captain Jack back.

They're best bet might be to go for a mixed race slayer, that in itself creates it's own issue in-world (too white to be black, too black to be white), plus an interracial couple where the man is black and the woman is white is still quite a taboo thing to show on tv.
Not on British TV though definitely on US TV, why is that ?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Not on British TV though definitely on US TV, why is that ?
I still think it's a rare thing on British tv, though not as pronounced as it is on US tv. As for why, I think I read somewhere it's to do with a black guy "taking" a white woman whereas it's fine for a white guy to "take" a black woman. It's double standards. I guess it's the awful message that a white guy can have any woman he wants whereas a black guy should stick to his own "kind". Having a mixed race slayer where the mother is white and the dad is black would be a step in the right direction of normalising that a black guy and white woman being together. So long as the show didn't make a song and dance about it and had it "just be", I don't think there would be too much fuss created over it.

Btvs fan

Scooby
I still think it's a rare thing on British tv, though not as pronounced as it is on US tv. As for why, I think I read somewhere it's to do with a black guy "taking" a white woman whereas it's fine for a white guy to "take" a black woman. It's double standards. I guess it's the awful message that a white guy can have any woman he wants whereas a black guy should stick to his own "kind". Having a mixed race slayer where the mother is white and the dad is black would be a step in the right direction of normalising that a black guy and white woman being together. So long as the show didn't make a song and dance about it and had it "just be", I don't think there would be too much fuss created over it.
I disagree I see quite a few mixed race relationships on British TV with a Black guy/White Girl. But on US shows it's very very rare. Your probably right on the reasons why. Damn you go back to Blazing Saddles and it still hasn't changed. Even after having a Mixed race President 🤷‍♂️

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Re: Interracial Couples: Producers tend to like them, audiences don't seem to take to them. Probably something to do with the difficulty in finding two actors of the proper race with the proper chemistry.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I don't know the racial history of the UK, but understanding it (as a layman, not with a degree) in the USA I'm not surprised that interracial is so much rarer (and also why it's easier to accept a white man with a minority than say a black man with a white woman). Long story made VERY short, the US slave trade messed up in trying to stamp out the cultures of black people brought over which in turn created a relatively united black culture with shared experiences (though there are odd exceptions, like say Louisiana Creole, but I'm not up to going into that now).

I'm not even going into the romanticization of the Confederacy which was fought over slavery rather than state's rights (as shown in their own writings and constitution) other than to say it aggravated the situation because the end of slavery was a vivid reminder of their loss, and thus the violent racism and oppression was exacerbated in this region. (This doesn't mean everyone who has a confederate flag is racist, mind you, and many Cherokee--which included slaveholders I might add--fought with the Confederacy, in part because they hated the USA over the Trail of Tears. Likewise, there were Southern whites opposed to slavery even before the Civil War, but if they acted on their beliefs to rectify the situation then they were considered criminals at best. And as for today, while the psychology is complicated, I think it's unfair to automatically assume a Southerner is consciously racist, white or otherwise, though they can be found there as anywhere else.)

There are other factors like the fear of what happened in Haiti happening the USA (because on some level, I think many whites knew they deserved it--not that I think it should've happened as that's becoming the demon you set out to fight, though I wouldn't promote silence and pacifism either). This created court decisions and got laws passed (and rather than dogwhistled as today, were blatant about how it was intended to disenfranchise and disempower the black population in particular so that what happened in Haiti didn't happen in the USA), though it got increasingly subtle through the 20th century, it remained brutal and horrible to at least the 60s, and I'd say 80s at which point dogwhistling (that is continuing to step on the necks of minorities, especially the feared black population, continued, but now happened under code phrases and gaslighting rather than as open as it once was). Many of the same arguments against gay marriage (including Biblical ones) were used to justify laws prohibiting interracial marriages back then, though that eventually collapsed, something some people still alive remember and have brought up.

Though this happened all over the USA, there are still people alive with the fear (sometimes conscious, sometimes not) of karma and of old attitudes passed down. Heck, I know a white guy who was nearly strangled (as in rendered unconscious and unable to swallow right for years) because his dad caught him, as a minor, shaking hands with a black man who helped him--imagine how that father would be if his son dated a black woman! (This doesn't count casual sex--at least not when it's a white man with a black woman, but many white men are insecure with a woman who has been with a black man. And even here there's a lunatic fringe, like the KKK, who believe things like it's actually corrupting to touch someone black, perhaps that abusive father was the member of such a group, or raised by one.)

When this is a problem, the symbolism of a black man with a white woman can seem pretty threatening even if the viewer isn't sure why, and those with conscious racist attitudes (who are distressingly numerous) also don't want to see such things normalized (even if Kirk and Uhura are forced to kiss, if it's a one time thing under mind control, they might give it a pass, but they don't want their kids to think that it's actually okay).

While I don't want to expand on this, a sexual assault I endured at the hands of a black man that got ended fast before I was hurt too badly actually made some people more angry than a much worse attack by a white man that left me scarred with a host of other physical (and mental) problems. Interesting enough, when I asked why (in this case I wasn't just curious, I was angry at the implications) even they seemed to not realize why. It was just down in their subconscious (much like how I was scared to leave my tomboy ways and didn't even realize it until a girlfriend wanted me to femme myself up for her, and THEN I realized I was scared and had to explore my subconscious assumptions that were guiding my reactions and emotional responses without my conscious awareness).

And if it makes them (for conscious or subconscious reasons) change the channel or avoid a movie then it's not going to be done much because profits rule all (though there have been exceptions, and kudos to those who allowed their station in the 1940s to be used for a radio program of Superman fighting the KKK which had a positive effect on future generations since so many kids, even the children of Klansmen, took Superman's side).

I do see it changing today. While sometimes it comes off as cynical and insincere pandering (that is they'll have it happen in a show, but if the kids of the writers and producers were to get into an interracial affair then real life drama would ensue, and is written in such a way that it can annoy people for other reasons than it involving interracial couples), some of it is working out well. I personally like how the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina have pulled it off (though sanitized and "modernized" from the comics) and I know Stranger Things had a black boy with a white girl (but I haven't seen it yet) which I haven't heard people complaining about despite how popular it was and that it presumably taps nostalgia (in fact, sadly enough, I've heard more Buffy fans complain of Giles with Olivia). Like so many other trends, it is going to be diluted every generation until it's no longer seen as an issue by anyone who isn't against the media anyway.

Again, I don't know how it happened in the UK, but I do know its history is very different from ours in this respect, so it doesn't surprise me that it gets reflected in their media, probably because it doesn't stoke the same anxieties (and thus threaten ratings/ad revenue) as it does among significant numbers within the USA.

TriBel

Scooby
I think it's historical and more ominous than "double standards". It's related to racial purity. The US had anti-miscegenation laws - as far as I'm aware, the UK never did. A black man impregnating a white woman was perceived as polluting whiteness. A white man impregnating a black woman...well, unfortunately - standard practice during slavery. The child was considered black. Alabama was the last state to overturn the ban on interracial marriage - in 2000.

And what's mixed race? Different states had different ways of (for want of a better term) quantifying blackness (the One-drop rule). In some states, you were considered black if one parent was black. For others, any black blood going back 3/4 generations qualified you as black. I'm not saying this still happens...I'm just saying there's a precedence.

Other countries don't (didn't) have as rigid a classification as the US. A person considered black in America might not be "black" in (for example) Brazil. Stephen Graham's mixed race and in some states would have been considered black. I doubt anyone in the UK knows him as anything but a "scouser". Ha...they should cast him as the new Giles! ;)

I'm not trying to suggest that interracial relationships were easily accepted in the UK. They weren't - - despite there being a long history. It's simply that they weren't illegal.

Priceless
Priceless
I didn't know Stephen Graham was mixed race

TriBel

Scooby
@Priceless "I didn't know Stephen Graham was mixed race".

I didn't until a few years back - Black Jamaican/White grandparents I think. I'm sure he describes himself...or identifies...as mixed race. Ironically, he plays a white racist in Meadow's This is England - that's why I always remember it. There's probably a lot of people in Liverpool with a similar background because of the docks (black sailor/white local girl). Isn't this the context for A Taste of Honey? I have friend from 'Pool who jokes about being white if she uses her hair-straighteners and black if she doesn't.

Last edited:
Priceless
Priceless
I was going to say it's probably because he's from Liverpool, and the history of that port :-)
Nix
Nix
I did not know that about him!!

Karin Schill

Townie
I won't be watching this reboot, just like I don't watch the new Dynasty. If something's already been done well I see no reason to reboot it. I am in general more for shows that continue from the original like Fuller House did. :D

Anyway if this reboot will happen I do hope she will be called Buffy since otherwise it would be like our Buffy or Faith died and another slayer was called to replace them and I don't like that idea at all. :(

white avenger

white avenger
When I first watched the series, I always wondered why they didn't cast Faith as a black actress...maybe they felt they had been there done that with Kendra
Back when I was taking the idea of a new show seriously, I thought that it would be better to have Buffy (the real one, even if it had to be a different actor) as the mentor, not Watcher, to a new teenage girl. I also thought that the idea of a Slayer army should be dropped, like, maybe there had been some kind of flaw in Willow's spell, and things had reverted back to the "one girl in all the world" rule, with Buffy and Faith being the only ones exempt from the resultant de-powering of the Potentials, leaving the one single girl who actually would have received the Calling when Faith died (no, Faith wouldn't have to die, it could be worked out somehow, (Joss has to contribute something to the story, or he'll feel left out) with her having a recurring role, like at the end of each Season to help out with the current apocalypse. The same could apply to the other Buffyverse characters) With the Watchers' Council pretty much defunct, having never really recovered from Caleb's attack in Season 7, it would be just Mama Slayer and her new chick, doing the best that they could to hold back the dark forces.

(Yeah, I know, I think about this stuff too much It's a hazard of retirement. I need to find a hobby)

Top Bottom