• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

African American Slayer

chasesummers

Cordy Lives
I have no interest on what race the the main character will be, it never made a difference to me, but it is clear why they want Buffy to be African American, and I don't think that's good. We saw how other reboots or new shows turned when introducing a character with a personal agenda or infused with political influence.

You want to create an African American slayer? Go ahead!
But do her some justice, and give her her own name and make us love her for being who she is, not for trying to be the Buffy we know.

Anya2012

Floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
source www.thewrap.com

Just did a google search and Sarah Michelle Gellar said she confirmed in February 2019 that she will not be in any reboot of the next Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She did confirm that the lead role for the next slayer would be a African American as it stood in February 2019. It is unclear if the new slayer will use the name Buffy Summers. It looks to be that the working theory would have another Buffy Summers and she would be a African American woman. If that is true, it would be a African American cast members and I am sure the target group would be for the African American community.
What's the big deal about a black slayer ? We've had one before -has everybody forgotten about Kendra ?

No SMG as the lead no interest in this
She won't bother with this one I think she's past it. She's doing other projects atm the latest a tv series called In each Others Houses .

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
We had Sineya (the original slayer), Kendra and Nikki in the show as slayers, all of them black and none of them relied on race as a crutch. I don't see what is missing or a violation of wokeness in that aspect of BtVS. If I was a network exec tasked with buying programs, I doubt I would see a market that has any yearning to reboot the series with a black Buffy. If I had any doubts about the "get woke, go broke" dictum, I would look at Charmed that went that route and bombed. We on this thread have spent more time and thought on a Buffy reboot than any network would.

Reactions: Ann

LeeJones41

Potential
We had Sineya (the original slayer), Kendra and Nikki in the show as slayers, all of them black and none of them relied on race as a crutch. I don't see what is missing or a violation of wokeness in that aspect of BtVS. If I was a network exec tasked with buying programs, I doubt I would see a market that has any yearning to reboot the series with a black Buffy. If I had any doubts about the "get woke, go broke" dictum, I would look at Charmed that went that route and bombed. We on this thread have spent more time and thought on a Buffy reboot than any network would.

That's because Whedon barely gave them a chance to "rely on race as a clutch". He barely did justice to their characters.

Top Bottom