• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Agents of Hydra (Spoilers)

Priceless

Scooby
So far behind and just catching up now, but loving the Hydra-verse, (or whatever it's called) Is anyone watching and enjoying seeing Ward back and Coulson the school teacher? And Jemma digging herself out of her grave . . . where have I seen that before :)

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I think the arc started well with Gemma's resurrection and the return of Grant Ward...but I quickly got bored with how the whole thing's been stretched out. It's just yet another 'dystopian society with a resistance movement' story line and does nothing new with it.
I understand that what is happening will have 'real world' ramifications for our heroes, but I just don't care.

(Although I have linked 'Dark Fitz'- that whole thing should be interesting to see unfold.)

The whole thing strongly reminds me of the Pylea arc from Angel S2; its there, it matters, we explore the characters is a different setting, but I just want to get back to the killer-robot story please.

A couple of other things that niggle: 'Agents Of Hydra' not make any sense in the context of it being a computer simulation (its clearly just an excuse to do a 'what if?')- although this might be explained later.
Also the political subtext was so clumsy and on the nose as to be eye-rolling; Like 'look Hydra uses terms like 'fake news' as well. So... relevant? 'Cause it's like Trump-land!'
No, not even remotely.

Priceless

Scooby
I think the arc started well with Gemma's resurrection and the return of Grant Ward...but I quickly got bored with how the whole thing's been stretched out. It's just yet another 'dystopian society with a resistance movement' story line and does nothing new with it.
I understand that what is happening will have 'real world' ramifications for our heroes, but I just don't care.

(Although I have linked 'Dark Fitz'- that whole thing should be interesting to see unfold.)

The whole thing strongly reminds me of the Pylea arc from Angel S2; its there, it matters, we explore the characters is a different setting, but I just want to get back to the killer-robot story please.

A couple of other things that niggle: 'Agents Of Hydra' not make any sense in the context of it being a computer simulation (its clearly just an excuse to do a 'what if?')- although this might be explained later.
Also the political subtext was so clumsy and on the nose as to be eye-rolling; Like 'look Hydra uses terms like 'fake news' as well. So... relevant? 'Cause it's like Trump-land!'
No, not even remotely.
I love the idea that you can change just one regret and it changes everything. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I love that Fitz's dad has such an effect on him, and him just being around changes who Fitz is - I find that fascinating and I think the show has done it really well. And Evil Fitz is amazing.

Ward! Trip! I really enjoy seeing these characters back from the dead, and I know it's impossible but I would love to see them back in the real-world. It feels, to me, like a sort of redemption for Ward. The show is saying that it only takes one little thing, one small change, to make a bad man good and a good man bad, so lets not judge too harshly, and that's a philosophy I like.

Agreed they are using the show to reflect the politics of the real world, but I like that, for me it does feels current but not at all jarring. And yes, it does have that 'what if ...' quality, but they are doing it so well that I can forgive them taking small liberties.

thetopher

Sineya
I love the idea that you can change just one regret and it changes everything. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities.
I think its a great idea but the execution is a head-scratcher. How would 'no regrets' translate into evil empire; the answer is sorta hand-waved away with a vague explanation (Mei didn't stop that inhuman kid and so Hydra was successful in their takeover? I mean, more info please!).

Agreed. I'm glad we got to see Ward in different circumstance and see how he turned out differently. It gives all those SkyWard shiipers more material for their fics. :)

Meh. I don't really like Trip because of how the actor plays him; way too laid back like he's trying too hard.
Anyways, good for those who missed him but I never did. I suppose he's there to add poignancy to the fact that this world isn't 'real'- but to me that's done far better by the presence of Mac's daughter; clearly at one point she was the centre of his world.

Maybe its a part of the series I'll watch again and appreciate more. I still think the aftermath in terms of character growth is gonna be more interesting than how we got there.

Priceless

Scooby
I think its a great idea but the execution is a head-scratcher. How would 'no regrets' translate into evil empire; the answer is sorta hand-waved away with a vague explanation (Mei didn't stop that inhuman kid and so Hydra was successful in their takeover? I mean, more info please!).
I totally agree there are plotholes but I am more forgiving because I'm enjoying it so much :) There might be more explanation as it continues. I tend to think (purely in my own head, nothing concrete to go on) Radcliffe wanted to remove one regret, but Aida manipulated those regrets to her own ends and made herself Madame Hydra

Agreed. I'm glad we got to see Ward in different circumstance and see how he turned out differently. It gives all those SkyWard shiipers more material for their fics. :)
There are Ward/Sky shippers? Waky? Skard? I only truly ship Spuffy, so this means nothing to me :D

Maybe its a part of the series I'll watch again and appreciate more. I still think the aftermath in terms of character growth is gonna be more interesting than how we got there.
Hopefully as the show continues, Agents of Hydra will have deep and far reaching consequences because so many issues have been raised. For me, Mac's daughter was one of the weaker points of the episodes, I just found it a bit too manipulative.

thetopher

Sineya
There are Ward/Sky shippers? Waky? Skard?
There are, and its just Skyward- like the word towards the sky; like their two names combined makes a new, romantic super-shipper name!
And No, I don't get it either given how screwed up Ward was but 'actor chemistry' I guess. ;)

P
Priceless
But they had no chemistry! Wow, people are just odd:-)

thetopher

Sineya
@Priceless : I completely agree. Ward was basically Riley until he turned evil where he became more interesting and also got more to do, and Skye...the biggest problem about AoS is- for me- the character of Skye.
I think we're supposed to root for her because she's the female central character, the one that 'struggles' and goes on a journey of discovery- like Buffy or Echo or River- but I mainly can't stand her. She really hasn't got that much depth (and the actress isn't that great tbh).
I prefer every other character on the show to her but she gets a major amount of screen time being a hacker/spy/Inhuman/vigilante/surrogate daughter/pain-in-the-ass or whatever big sub-plot she's got going on. I find her very tiresome mostly.

P
Priceless
Agree with everything you've said, I need to lie down :-)

Priceless

Scooby
@Priceless : I completely agree. Ward was basically Riley until he turned evil where he became more interesting and also got more to do, and Skye...the biggest problem about AoS is- for me- the character of Skye.
Ward had more chemistry with May then with Sky. But Lincoln was even worse. I think the actress that plays Sky just cannot project passion/lust/need - whatever it is that denotes 'chemistry'

I think we're supposed to root for her because she's the female central character, the one that 'struggles' and goes on a journey of discovery- like Buffy or Echo or River- but I mainly can't stand her. She really hasn't got that much depth (and the actress isn't that great tbh).
Agreed, I don't root for her either, I much prefer Simmons, she's got much more vulnerability about her. The only time I root for Sky is when I see her throught Coulsons eyes - he adores her and I adore him, so I try to like Sky :)

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Never really got on with the character of Sky/Daisy (or Ward for that matter). I've always looked on May as being the lead female character. She kick butt!

Still can't get over the fact that Ming-na Wen is 53 years old! She's one damned fine looking woman for her age!

thetopher

Sineya
Never really got on with the character of Sky/Daisy (or Ward for that matter). I've always looked on May as being the lead female character.
Same. May is actually the deeper character even if her character progression is more subtle.

I also like the fact that the writers are starting down the Coulson/Melinda path, because that pairing makes tons of sense; they've had chemistry since S1.

Still can't get over the fact that Ming-na Wen is 53 years old! She's one damned fine looking woman for her age!
Yeah, she's utterly gorgeous. But she's even more-so when she smiles, which is something Melinda doesn't tend to do.

Priceless

Scooby
I also like the fact that the writers are starting down the Coulson/Melinda path, because that pairing makes tons of sense; they've had chemistry since S1.
I would really enjoy seeing that relationship play out. At least they have chemistry. May and Coulson work well together, have similar views and are mainly supportive of each other, so they could definitely work as a romantic pairing

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Gawd I'm SO glad they're finishing up the Hydra story line! :rolleyes: I'm just glad that they didn't have Fitz wind up with Aida/whatsername (as if). o_O

Priceless

Scooby
Gawd I'm SO glad they're finishing up the Hydra story line! :rolleyes: I'm just glad that they didn't have Fitz wind up with Aida/whatsername (as if). o_O
Can't believe you didn't enjoy it :) I've got a few more episodes to go, but I think it's been really interesting.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
They are only just starting it in the UK......last ep shown here Simmons & Daisy have just entered the Matrix...or whatever you call it?

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Skye...the biggest problem about AoS is- for me- the character of Skye.
I think we're supposed to root for her because she's the female central character. she gets a major amount of screen time being hacker/spy/Inhuman/vigilante/surrogate daughter/pain-in-the-ass or whatever big sub-plot she's got going on. I find her very tiresome mostly.
I agree, I don't care for Skye at all. I liked AoS season 1, but gave up when she got her powers in season 2. Pretty much everything else I've seen and heard about looks and sounds terrible. I didn't see the ghost rider though, that might have been cool. I think the decline in ratings though justifies me not watching. Maybe someday I'll give it a second shot, but yea I only liked 3 of the main characters, May, Fitz and Simmons.

thetopher

Sineya
Maybe someday I'll give it a second shot, but yea I only liked 3 of the main characters, May, Fitz and Simmons.
I'm still majorly pissed that they wrote out two of the best characters- Bobbi and Hunter- for a spin-off that never happened and haven't immediately brought them back onto the show somehow. What the hell?

Still May, Fitz, Simmons, Mac and (sometimes) Coulson are pretty much okay because they're well-rounded characters that have faults.
Skye has always had the whiff of a mary-sue about her; 'super-secret hacker who's cute and funny and 'tormented' but also has awesome superpowers!'
Shouldn't a person with two psycho parents have y'know, issues?

Priceless

Scooby
Just watched ep 19 All The Madame's Men, and it was really enjoyable. I had a lump in my throat at Coulson's speech when he took over the tv station, it moved me. When Ward is told there are people outside and he thinks he'll have to fight them, and the runner says 'no, they're here to support us', I thought that had real impact. I appreciated Fitz Senior beating up Radcliffe from a story pov, although Radcliffe is one of my favourite characters :(, and *gulp for the first time ever I actually saw something between Ward and Skye, it wasn't a spark, it wasn't chemical, but it was an understanding o_O

Priceless

Scooby
Finally watched the last episode of Season 4 and overall it was a bit of a disappointment. There were no surprises, everyone you expect to survive does. I was a big fan of Radcliffe, so I was sorry to see him go, but his final scene was the best and moved me more than anything else in the ep.

I liked the little glimpse we got of next season, which looked like Coulson on a space ship

Top Bottom