• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4: Clark Gregg Talks Coulson’s New Role

NatRosenberg

Bored in Budapest
Sineya
Source: ScreenRant

By Molly Freeman

[WARNING: Spoilers ahead for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 3.]

The first half of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 3 largely dealt with the fallout from season 2 – namely, the Terrigenesis of Inhumans all around the globe – as well as the ongoing threat of Hydra. But, in the latter half of season 3, Director Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) was forced the deal with both the emotional consequences and real-world repercussions of his decision to kill Grant Ward (Brett Dalton) on Maveth. As a result of Coulson’s choice, Hydra was able to bring back the ancient Inhuman Hive from Maveth, this time inhabiting Ward’s body.

Although Hive was defeated, it seems the season 3 finale will have an impact on Coulson’s character going into season 4, which will premiere later this year on ABC. Now, Gregg has teased a bit about what to expect from Coulson when Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returns for season 4.

Speaking to EW, Gregg discussed the season 4 setup at the end of the season 3 finale, ‘Absolution/Ascension.’ Specifically, Gregg spoke about where Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will find Coulson in season 4, after the time jump featured in the finale:

“He’s not the director anymore, his destiny is not so much in his own hand as it used to be. The person he cares about is on the run and seems to be very sought after by the authorities. It’s very much changing the game for Coulson. Certainly from that teaser of where we’ll be next season, he does not seem to be in good shape.”
In broad terms, Gregg is speaking about the end of the season 3 finale, which jumped ahead six months and picked up with Coulson’s team spread out across the globe. Coulson was shown attempting to track down the rogue Daisy Johnson (Chloe Bennet), who seems to have traded in her S.H.I.E.L.D. agent status to be an Inhuman vigilante as part of her grieving process over losing Lincoln (Luke Mitchell). As Gregg points out, Coulson will not only be dealing with the loss of Lincoln, but the defection of Daisy as well, when season 4 kicks off.

In addition to exploring Coulson and Daisy’s grief and its effect on S.H.I.E.L.D., the Marvel series will deal with Life-Model Decoys, or LMDs, developed by Holden Radcliffe (John Hannah). The technology was introduced in the final moments of the season 3 finale, setting up season 4, and will surely play into the fact that the S.H.I.E.L.D. team has lost a number of agents and allies, including the most recent death of Lincoln.

Of course, as with all properties under the Marvel Studios banner, details about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.season 4 are being kept under wraps. Previously, executive producer Jed Whedon did mention that the team’s loss of Lincoln and the team’s showdown with Hive will have “affected their plan moving forward and the way they operate.” So, emotional ramifications of the loss of an agent and the technology of the LMDs will both play a big role in season 4. But, still, the most burning question for fans of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. may be: Who has replaced Coulson as director?

Priceless

Scooby
Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed S3 so I am looking forward to S4. I doubt Daisy will be on the run for long, and I expect Coulson to be back in charge by episode 4 :) Are Bobbi and Hunter coming back? I miss them and liked their dynamic within the show. Hope John Hannah starys around too, he's a lighter-note character and the show needs that. (By the way I don't read the comics so I can only go by what I see on the screen) :)

NatRosenberg

Bored in Budapest
Sineya
Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed S3 so I am looking forward to S4. I doubt Daisy will be on the run for long, and I expect Coulson to be back in charge by episode 4 :) Are Bobbi and Hunter coming back? I miss them and liked their dynamic within the show. Hope John Hannah starys around too, he's a lighter-note character and the show needs that. (By the way I don't read the comics so I can only go by what I see on the screen) :)
I'm kind of unsure of my expectations for what they're going to do with Daisy and Coulson, and also unsure about what I'd like them to do. We've seen so much of Daisy and Coulson together and at SHIELD that it might be interesting to see something different for a while. I think I liked Daisy most back at the beginning when she was just Skye, a hacker on the run, and it would be great to see a Daisy version of that (with powers and all) except that I don't want it to pull screentime away from all the other characters. I think it would also be great to see a different Coulson, who isn't in charge and actually deals with some of his own issues. In the teaser, he said the director was going to assign him to a different mission (not Daisy) so we'll have to see where that goes. I really miss Bobbi and Hunter as well, and would love for them to come back, but I haven't been able to find any info on whether they will or not.

I'm not sure how I feel about the LMDs either. I don't read the comics, but from what I can tell they're like AIs made to be like some of the people who have died? I can't see why anyone within the show would think that would be a good idea, but it could be interesting to watch.

Priceless

Scooby
I'm kind of unsure of my expectations for what they're going to do with Daisy and Coulson, and also unsure about what I'd like them to do. We've seen so much of Daisy and Coulson together and at SHIELD that it might be interesting to see something different for a while. I think I liked Daisy most back at the beginning when she was just Skye, a hacker on the run, and it would be great to see a Daisy version of that (with powers and all) except that I don't want it to pull screentime away from all the other characters. I think it would also be great to see a different Coulson, who isn't in charge and actually deals with some of his own issues. In the teaser, he said the director was going to assign him to a different mission (not Daisy) so we'll have to see where that goes. I really miss Bobbi and Hunter as well, and would love for them to come back, but I haven't been able to find any info on whether they will or not.

I'm not sure how I feel about the LMDs either. I don't read the comics, but from what I can tell they're like AIs made to be like some of the people who have died? I can't see why anyone within the show would think that would be a good idea, but it could be interesting to watch.
Pretty much agree. Bobbi and Hunter were going to get their own show, but it doesn't seem like that's going ahead now, which I am quite glad about because they belong with the rest of the team and I'm not sure they are strong enough to carry a show by themselves.

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
I'm not sure how I feel about the LMDs either. I don't read the comics, but from what I can tell they're like AIs made to be like some of the people who have died?
I haven't read much about them either but as I gather it's mostly people that's still alive. There's plenty of Fury LMDs for example. They seem to be used as stand-ins, be it in a dangerous situation or for another reason. They've died instead of the real Fury quite a few times I think. I don't know exactly how the process works but having LMDs for dead people certainly seem possible. Not sure how close to the original they'd be if it's made after the person dies though.

NatRosenberg

Bored in Budapest
Sineya
Pretty much agree. Bobbi and Hunter were going to get their own show, but it doesn't seem like that's going ahead now, which I am quite glad about because they belong with the rest of the team and I'm not sure they are strong enough to carry a show by themselves.
Personally, I was sad to see the spinoff cancelled, I think it could have been good especially if they had pulled in some good new characters in addition to Bobbi and Hunter. Oh well...

I haven't read much about them either but as I gather it's mostly people that's still alive. There's plenty of Fury LMDs for example. They seem to be used as stand-ins, be it in a dangerous situation or for another reason. They've died instead of the real Fury quite a few times I think. I don't know exactly how the process works but having LMDs for dead people certainly seem possible. Not sure how close to the original they'd be if it's made after the person dies though.
Well, in that case it makes sense. I've just seen a lot of people sort of linking it to Lincoln's death like a way to "bring him back" almost, which is crazy to me.

Priceless

Scooby
Well, in that case it makes sense. I've just seen a lot of people sort of linking it to Lincoln's death like a way to "bring him back" almost, which is crazy to me.
Oh Lord I hope not, that's the last thing we need.

Personally, I was sad to see the spinoff cancelled, I think it could have been good especially if they had pulled in some good new characters in addition to Bobbi and Hunter. Oh well...
I love them as characters, but a happy relationship doesn't make great tv, so they would need a strong surrounding cast to keep the show entertaining

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Hopefully the team change-up will be good, keep things fresh.

I'm more interested in Coulson's new position and the LMD- since I know nothing about them. It's make a nice change from two seasons about Inhumans.
I think Hydra should stay quiet for a little while as well, and then make a resurgance much later on.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Seems like the teams kinda split up at the moment. I prefer when they're more together. They interact well together. Is Ghostrider supposed to an inhuman or something else?

Priceless

Scooby
I've got the first couple of episodes saved but haven't managed to watch them yet. Is it good?

Priceless

Scooby
Just watched episode 2. I don't know how to hide spoilers, but wanted to say the new director was great and a shock and poor old raving May was great :) This show just gets better and better

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Hardly anyone posts in here, so I wouldn't worry about it. Besides we're up to episode 4 now. :)

Top Bottom