• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Agents of SHIELD Star Says Marvel Doesn't Care Enough About Its Own TV Show

NatRosenberg

Bored in Budapest
Sineya
Source

by James Whitbrook

The unspoken secret that Marvel’s TV and movie ventures aren’t as interconnected as the company would like you to think they are has become a lot less unspoken lately. And the loudest acknowledgement about this separation has come courtesy of Agents of SHIELD’s Daisy Johnson herself, Chloe Bennet.

Speaking at Wizard World Des Moines this weekend during a Q&A session, Bennet tackled the topic of why Avengers like Natasha Romanoff or Steve Rogers aren’t showing up as part of the show’s escalating conflict with Hive and his army of brainwashed Inhumans:
I don’t know. People who make movies for Marvel, why don’t you acknowledge what happens on our show? Why don’t you guys go ask them that? Cause they don’t seem to care!
Which would be harsh words enough, but then Bennet came out with it flatly when asked by a fan if she’d like to appear in the Marvel movieverse—she’d love to, but when it comes to the movies, Daisy Johnson might as well not exist:
The Marvel Cinematic Universe loves to pretend that everything is connected, but then they don’t acknowledge our show at all. So, I would love to do that, but they don’t seem to keen on that idea.
It’s been obvious for a long while that, despite Marvel’s claims to the contrary, the world of their TV series and the world shown in theaters might as well be separate universes. Although SHIELD in particular started out very rooted in those movies, over the years it’s been little more than a one-way street. The events of the films get forced into the show, with nothing from the series making its way to the silver screen—even when it would make a ton of sense to do so.

But Bennet’s comments are certainly some of the most brazen acknowledgement of that we’ve seen so far. Given that SHIELDnowstands as Marvel’s sole network television venture, it seems like the barriers between the show and the Cinematic Universe are probably only going to get bigger (or at least stronger, if Kevin Feige’s comments to us recently are anything to go by) as the movie’s focus turns elsewhere. What happens on television, stays on television.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
The head of the Marvel TV series on ABC and Kevin Feige don't get along, they use to work together but they split. I think the Netflix shows are separate as well. So it's like 3 different universe's that technically take place in the same universe. I gave up on Agents of Shield, but I really liked Agent Carter, and I'm sad it got cancelled. I've not seen Daredevil, but I liked Jessica Jones. ABC only has AoS now, after cancelling Carter, but also not picking up that Marvel's Most Wanted show either. So the ABC tv department in hurting. Netflix is doing great and the movies are doing great. I'd like to see the characters from the shows make it into the movies. I get the movie stars won't do the shows, with the exception of Sam Jackson a couple times and Lady Sif. I'd like to see Agent May and Black Widow on screen together! And I'd like to get some acknowledgement that the Avenger's know (or don't know) that Coulson is alive.

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
The plot of Captain America: Winter Soldier says everything you need to know about how much Marvel cares about AoS.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Exactly

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
Yeah it's very obvious that Kevin Feige and the moviemakers doesn't care much for the tv shows. The movies are bigger and more important which is fine by me. I just wish they'd put in small easter eggs or something to reference the shows. No big connections needed. The Avengers shouldn't know that Coulson is alive so that part doesn't bother me.

NatRosenberg

Bored in Budapest
Sineya
Yeah it's very obvious that Kevin Feige and the moviemakers doesn't care much for the tv shows. The movies are bigger and more important which is fine by me. I just wish they'd put in small easter eggs or something to reference the shows. No big connections needed. The Avengers shouldn't know that Coulson is alive so that part doesn't bother me.
I agree. I'm not asking for a lot, but just some small acknowledgements would be nice. I'd love to just see some characters from AoS in the background, or even just have a mention of them in one of the movies. Also, some connections between AoS and the Netflix shows would be nice.

I was kinda surprised that Chole Bennet was this upset about it and even than this verbal (though I suppose she isn't a particularly reserved person). I guess it could be difficult for the show's cast, being a part of Marvel, but without all that much recognition.

Priceless

Scooby
I think for the shows and films to make sense I have simply accepted that there are three different Marvel universes; films, Netflix, ABC. They all have very different styles, which makes it easy. It's as though they are attempting to distance themselves from each other and I am actually fine with this. By now, if Jessica Jones suddenly appeared on AoS it would blow my mind :D

NatRosenberg

Bored in Budapest
Sineya
By now, if Jessica Jones suddenly appeared on AoS it would blow my mind :D
True. It would be really cool if they planned a big crossover (sort of like an event in the comic books) that was mind blowing for everyone. I'm not even sure if it would work, but it's an interesting thought.

P
Priceless
It would be a real clash of styles, but I'd love to see it

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
The Inhumans movie, which was widely expected to at least possibly feature members of the AoS cast, has also been shunted from the movie release schedule.

I think it's very difficult for Marvel to keep a cohesive TV + movie joint universe. It takes 12-18 months to make and release a movie, of which there are many strands , but their Netflix shows have proven that the quality of their TV output is consistent. I'm not sure what happened with AoS, but the first couple of seasons were definitely patchy in quality, but I think there was so much uncertainty with the movie universe at that point, it must've been tough for AoS to find that balance.

Also, I think they made a mistake having a couple of episodes with Samuel L Jackson in them. Because once you introduce Nick Fury, you can't then step back from that universe and tell your own story.

Agent Carter was a show that didn't matter, because it was set in the past it could get away with more. I'm so sad they cancelled it.

I think if anyone shows up in the movie side of the universe, it's going to be one of the Defenders, rather than anyone on AoS. The Netflix shows are linked, but apart from a few verbal mentions, they're pretty standalone, and I think Marvel prefer that.

P
Priceless
Didn't know there was going to be an Inhumans movie, that would have been interesting

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
It was going to be the REAL Inhumans not the TV version of the 'inhumans' which is why it was scrapped as it would be too confusing within a shared universe to have two different kinds of inhumans.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I've not watched AoS past season 2. I like some of the ideas and the characters are cool, but in general I'm not a Marvel fan, and especially since they started churning out movies factory line style. So it doesn't surprise me that AoS would be shown contempt from the money men. I'd prefer a good season of AoS than another Thor movie. I fell asleep during the last one.

NatRosenberg
NatRosenberg
Yes, why are they doing another Their when they could do Black Widow?!

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
Black Widow's movie will be announced soon. I'm pretty sure of it. I think they're just discussing particulars with Scarlett Johansson's management, because let's face it, they can't and won't do it without her on board. It probably won't be anytime before 2019, as the Phase 3 schedule is complete up until Infinity War Part 2 (or whatever the Russo's choose to call it), but with Inhumans now exiting their previously scheduled 2018 date, who knows what they'll do. But I'll put money on it being in the Phase 4 line up.

And Thor: The Dark World is a gem! I won't have anything negative said about it. ;):D

Spanky
Spanky
Keep dreaming...

NatRosenberg

Bored in Budapest
Sineya
I know it'll be announced soon, but we still won't have it until 2019 or 2020. Really, it should have been in Phase 2 or at least Phase 3 since Black Widow's been a popular character in the MCU since Iron Man 2 and she is really the only consistent female character. And it's not that Scarlett Johansson hasn't been available, she's said on more than one occasion that she'd be happy to do it. Also, I don't really have anything against Thor, but those haven't been their most popular movies. So, yes, I'm very happy that a BW movie is now being "seriously considered", but it's been a lot longer coming than it could/should have been.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
I know it'll be announced soon, but we still won't have it until 2019 or 2020. Really, it should have been in Phase 2 or at least Phase 3 since Black Widow's been a popular character in the MCU since Iron Man 2 and she is really the only consistent female character. And it's not that Scarlett Johansson hasn't been available, she's said on more than one occasion that she'd be happy to do it. Also, I don't really have anything against Thor, but those haven't been their most popular movies. So, yes, I'm very happy that a BW movie is now being "seriously considered", but it's been a lot longer coming than it could/should have been.
No, it's because Ike Perlmutter was a sexist b*stard who thought that female led superhero movies were pointless because "No one wants to see them and they always flop". I'm paraphrasing there. I'm glad he's gone. I think Kevin Feige knows what works and what doesn't.

But, as with most Hollywood stars, she has a schedule outside of Marvel and the movie will have to fit into her current commitments. That may be 2019, it may not. Hence why I think they're hashing it out with her people before they announce, because there's no point announcing before she's officially on board.

It should have been Marvel to announce a female led movie first, before DC. It should have been Black Widow but with Perlmutter at the helm we never would have. It's sad that we're still talking about a lack of female representation in this genre in 2016. It's getting better, but too slowly for my liking.

I think it will be interesting to see what they do with her movie. It could be very dark, especially knowing what we know so far about her history and her red ledger. It could very well be the darkest Marvel movie so far. I think they will tread carefully, because with Disney as a parent company, they will want to keep it relatively 'family friendly'.

NatRosenberg

Bored in Budapest
Sineya
No, it's because Ike Perlmutter was a sexist b*stard who thought that female led superhero movies were pointless because "No one wants to see them and they always flop". I'm paraphrasing there. I'm glad he's gone. I think Kevin Feige knows what works and what doesn't.

But, as with most Hollywood stars, she has a schedule outside of Marvel and the movie will have to fit into her current commitments. That may be 2019, it may not. Hence why I think they're hashing it out with her people before they announce, because there's no point announcing before she's officially on board.

It should have been Marvel to announce a female led movie first, before DC. It should have been Black Widow but with Perlmutter at the helm we never would have. It's sad that we're still talking about a lack of female representation in this genre in 2016. It's getting better, but too slowly for my liking.

I think it will be interesting to see what they do with her movie. It could be very dark, especially knowing what we know so far about her history and her red ledger. It could very well be the darkest Marvel movie so far. I think they will tread carefully, because with Disney as a parent company, they will want to keep it relatively 'family friendly'.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying, lol. It should have happened before and there wasn't any good reason for it not to. I realize that at this point there are negotiations that need to be done with Scarlett, and all that, which is fine. I think there's been enough attention on the lack of female representation that Marvel is going to (pretty much has to) do their best to get it definitively set, and that's not a bad thing.

I think it could be really dark, or have a whole different feel entirely. Kinda depends if they're doing an origin story type thing or something more in the present. Either way, I hope Hawkeye's in it. Maybe we can finally learn about Budapest. ;)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
It's sad that we're still talking about a lack of female representation in this genre in 2016. It's getting better, but too slowly for my liking.
This is why we still watch Buffy! Also I like Supergirl. But those are TV shows. We need some on the big screen. Rey from Star Was was great, Hit Girl from Kick-Ass was cool. But not their own movies.

Either way, I hope Hawkeye's in it. Maybe we can finally learn about Budapest.
Yes! I want to know their past and history! It'd be cool if they could incorporate Agent May. Like I said earlier I want to see her in the movies, but they won't. I can dream. lol

NatRosenberg
NatRosenberg
Yeah, I think May's almost outgrown the show, it would be awesome to see her on the big screen!
Top Bottom