• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Altered Carbon - The new Dollhouse?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Have any fellow fans seen this yet? I have it on today, I am only on the second episode and it reeks of Dollhouse set in the future, with more potential to develop! There are even a few familiar faces. So far I have seen Dichen Lachman and Tahmoh Penikett, both who star in Dollhouse. Another Whedon link is Tamara Taylor from Serenity.

Is anyone else watching this? It's a bit heavy to binge, but definitely feels up my ally!

Please use spoiler tags until people get a chance to see it. It is available now on Netflix.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Another Whedonverse face - Adam Busch, Warren from Buffy has popped up in ep 4. Still intrigued.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Sounds interesting, too bad I don't have Netflix anymore :/

HelloIAmHawt

The Master's Publicist
I'd considered giving it a try, perhaps this is the push I need (I'm out of shows anyway, and I guess I don't have to watch Bojack Horseman for the 10th time...).

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I am up to ep 9 now. I am not sure how many episodes their are but it feels like it is winding up. Still really good. Lots is going over my head - which means re-watch material for me :D

Dichen Lachman is great! I am SO glad she got off Neighbours. I haven't seen her in a role quite like this before. Definitely not the mild mannered Sierra doll. She is one of those actresses that can turn in a second, go from charming to terrifying, then back again.

Heaps of discussion material in this show. I have heard they are filming S2. I hope people get on to it.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
So just how close to Dollhouse is . Or can you tell me without spoilers because I don't want that .

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
The dollhouse concept is similar - uploading "people" into a host body.

So just how close to Dollhouse is . Or can you tell me without spoilers because I don't want that .
Its set in the future, far more violent, more nudity and no PG 13 type feel to the storyline. The body switching is the part that reminded me of dollhouse most - like dollhouse technology after the apocolypse. The show follows one character who has lived in other bodies before. It is very sci fi and a bit probably went over my head, but its worth watching and features dollhouse cast.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Well looks like something I should watch . Also from what you said it a lot more edgier . But that could be because it on Netflix.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Altered Carbon is on my watch list. Have heard mixed things, but the idea and style has me interested. Think its probably fair to say that Dollhouse was ahead of its time, for a TV show anyway.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I've been watching Altered Carbon, and I find it fascinating. It raises many more complicated questions and has a feeling of utter reality and grittiness that Dollhouse doesn't have. It's also being made at the right time -- where the special affects are almost seamless and so everything they do feels possible. They've also chosen some interesting actors. Some Dollhouse and at least one Buffy alum also appear. (Dichen Latchman and Adam Busch come to mind).

It is extremely violent and sometimes quite bloody as well. Think of a combination of the Matrix and a one man Criminal Minds, set in a much more terrifying future, were you can interrogate people in VR, and do it in the most horrific ways possible. If you enjoyed Buffy and can tolerate a bit of uberrealistic violence, you will find it interesting. The characters are well drawn, and the story lines slowly weave themselves into your head and heart. Nothing boring about this series.

Blue
[automerge]1523712406[/automerge]
The dollhouse concept is similar - uploading "people" into a host body.

Its set in the future, far more violent, more nudity and no PG 13 type feel to the storyline. The body switching is the part that reminded me of dollhouse most - like dollhouse technology after the apocolypse. The show follows one character who has lived in other bodies before. It is very sci fi and a bit probably went over my head, but its worth watching and features dollhouse cast.
I'm my opinion, it is very unlike Dollhouse. Dollhouse was temporarily buying a doll programmed to do what you needed it to do - the original person is buried under the programming.

AC is more about renting or buying a stiff or a purpose grown body that you 'needlecast' into. Mostly, the original occupant of the body is long dead. Rich people often have clones made of themselves or purchase desirable clones.

About the only thing it has in common with dollhouse is the ability to push mental content into a body. But in AC, it's a complete process -- an already developed consciousness and everything about a person is placed within an inert body that is a) better or b) uninjured or c) in the right location.

The fun thing about this series? I could tell you about it and you still would have to experience it to get it. It is extremely well created and complex. It avoids some of the ethical issues of dollhouse, while raising a completely different set. Btw, it also has some things in common with Firefly -- the occasional use of mashup use of languages as if everyone now has experience of other languages besides English. I've heard Spanish, Arabic, German and several others, not all of which I recognized.
[automerge]1523712759[/automerge]
Have any fellow fans seen this yet? I have it on today, I am only on the second episode and it reeks of Dollhouse set in the future, with more potential to develop! There are even a few familiar faces. So far I have seen Dichen Lachman and Tahmoh Penikett, both who star in Dollhouse. Another Whedon link is Tamara Taylor from Serenity.

Is anyone else watching this? It's a bit heavy to binge, but definitely feels up my ally!

Please use spoiler tags until people get a chance to see it. It is available now on Netflix.
I'm watching. And I know what you mean about being too heavy to binge. The most I've managed to watch in one sitting is two. I'm the girl who had Buffy playing in the background all through nursing school... there were days when I didn't sleep much and on more than one occasion, I made it through nearly a whole season. I could NOT do that with this. And I'm not sure I could watch it in the background. it's much too disturbing for that.

I see elements of the most imaginative moments of: Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Criminal Minds, Shoot em up, Jason Bourne, the Matrix and CSI... if you mixed them up thoroughly and sprinkled sparkly lights and acid (both the liquid kind, and the mind bendy kind) through it all. It is... unsettling.

I am, however, thoroughly addicted.

Last edited:

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Great review @DeepBlueJoy and I thoroughly agree with most of it! :D I love your writing and enjoy your posts.

I'm my opinion, it is very unlike Dollhouse. Dollhouse was temporarily buying a doll programmed to do what you needed it to do - the original person is buried under the programming.

AC is more about renting or buying a stiff or a purpose grown body that you 'needlecast' into. Mostly, the original occupant of the body is long dead. Rich people often have clones made of themselves or purchase desirable clones.

I agree, it was the initial "imprint" type technology that sparked the Dollhouse memories. Its set so far in the future that it could be what the Dollhouse technology becomes. The character that was resurrected to solve the crime was similar to hiring a Doll to do a job.

I see elements of the most imaginative moments of: Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Criminal Minds, Shoot em up, Jason Bourne, the Matrix and CSI... if you mixed them up thoroughly and sprinkled sparkly lights and acid (both the liquid kind, and the mind bendy kind) through it all. It is... unsettling.

Spot on, couldnt have said it better haha. I am going to enjoy the re-watch when I get around to it, it's got SO much content!

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Thank you so much!

fauxindigo

Scooby
Started watching Altered Carbon on Netflix and it's so funny because it reminded me of Dollhouse right off the bat, and then lo and behold I see Dichen Lachman! And the main character played by Joel Kinnaman reminded me of Tahmoh Penikett and who happens to also show up in the first episode?... TAHMOH! So cool.. Now I'm waiting for Eliza & Enver to pop up 😂 It's pretty good so far and if you like Dollhouse, check it out.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Started watching Altered Carbon on Netflix and it's so funny because it reminded me of Dollhouse right off the bat, and then lo and behold I see Dichen Lachman! And the main character played by Joel Kinnaman reminded me of Tahmoh Penikett and who happens to also show up in the first episode?... TAHMOH! So cool.. Now I'm waiting for Eliza & Enver to pop up 😂 It's pretty good so far and if you like Dollhouse, check it out.

I agree :D I am glad another fan made the comparison :D Its a really heavy show and I have tried to rewatch it again since the initial watch but I just dont stick with it cos it needs much more of my focus than Dollhouse ever did. The world is just so different. Even without understanding the tech, the story is great. Ticks a few boxes over a couple genres so a real interesting show.

Anyone know if there will be a season 2 and where it could go from there? Maybe we will see Enver and Eliza yet! Haha.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
According to wiki, it was renewed for a 2nd season. Like Killing Eve, it will have a new show runner (original will continue on as producer). Plus a new lead, which isn't that unusual given the premise of the series. I enjoyed the 1st season quite a bit!

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
The second season was in some ways more satisfying, but less intense than the original. I enjoyed it a great deal, but a combination of reasons meant that I didn't get as deep into the lead character. If the first season is that passionate falling in love feeling, this is that deeper love and affection you feel in the second year, and like that second year there is working through of deeper issues. The final episode payoffs are like a good meal or even a night spent with a lover you know deeply. There is unexpected and exciting -- and more. The actor who played lead for most of the season is not quite as dynamic as the original, but still believable. You should definitely watch. The partner of the original protagonist really gets a chance to shine. I enjoyed the actress who played her a lot. The supporting characters, including sentient code are surprising, real and complex. I could have watched their individual stories and not realized i was missing anything - they are that 'round' - you wish this was a traditional 22 episode season.

On a scale compared to other series (not sure anything is truly like this) it is a strong 5/5. Compared to season 1 it is 4.9, with occasional moments of 5.1, especially in later episodes.

This is a great completion for the series, though there are ways to continue the characters - i would love to see wher it could go, but without spectacular writing, it could lose some of the payoff of the season 2 endings.

I want them back mostly because I grew deeply attached, not because it is needed.

Note: i understand that this completes the original source material. May be time to stop?

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
definitely preferred season 1
Top Bottom