1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Am I the only person who loved season 6?

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by fredandwesfan, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Aw no, that's so annoying, I hate when that happens!

As to your post I feel like I get your point, but all I see is "should" and for me I can't say that it's enough for me to justify the poor character and development etc in season 6 but saying that it could have or should have lead to something better in season 7. I mean, that still puts season 6 in a poor place narratively speaking, and since we don't get those "should's" in season 7, all that alleged getting the characters into the right place for development then is a waste of space.

RomanticSoul, Dora and Lyri like this.
  2. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Ya, I also get your point. I guess for me I just view s6 as a great place to bring the characters (not literally, because it was a bad place for the characters :p but it was an interesting place). I think the narration in s6 was great, but they just stopped. So in that sense, I get the waste of space comment. I get that for some people it's hard to view s6 as good development because there's no resolution. So I guess the difference between our two views is that I still thought it was good development, but I can see that it wasn't the development people wanted to see.

Taake likes this.
  3. Cohen

Cohen All-American Boy

This! So very this! Season 7 really dropped the ball on the arcs that began in season 6, and a primary reason for this is the serialized arc of the first evil. I think season 6 was very well planned out. I think season 7 was very poorly planned out, and part of that I think had to do with Sarah's decision to leave mid-season. I have always felt The First Evil arc should have been a 2-season arc. I feel like there should have been more standalone episodes and episodic big bads with a long undertone of the First Evil gearing up for war. Season 8 should have been a serialized war, like the second half of season 7 was, and this would have allowed for MUCH better character development across the board, and then maybe we would have seen the gang learn from their mistakes in this season.

I do think Willow really did learn from her mistakes in season 6, as far as season 7 is concerned. A big part of her arc for 7 is "Can I handle doing magic without becoming addicted again?" This was a BIG problem I had with seasons 8 and 9, because it completely turned back all the growth Willow had done in seasons 6 and 7.

Buffy.. I find her to have started out with this sense of "yes, I made a ton of mistakes last season, and I am learning from them" but when the war started, all this good development went out the window.

Xander was stagnant all year. His brightest spots the whole year were being a prop for Dawn in "Potential" and the shocking twist of losing an eye--for plot purposes.

Dawn did get some moments to shine and grow this year, learning what it means to be not a kid anymore, and I LOVE "Potential" for the growth she does in that one episode alone.

Anya's development throughout "Selfless" was also very well done, and I appreciated an Anya-centric episode, and wish we would have had more in her 4 years as a semi-regular.

And I won't go into Spike's arc.

But all this was, as said before, season 7. Season 6 pushed, and broke, a lot of boundaries, and I loved it for that!

Also, Joss says in the "Academy for Television Arts" panel in 2002 that the whole point of the year was to be more in-your-face about metaphors because life is very in-your-face as your begin adulthood--much more so than the subtlety of high school.

scifigirl likes this.
  4. Cocogurl

Cocogurl Townie

I personally loved season six. It was the darkest season of all, but that's why I loved it. Some of the best storylines and character development comes from seasons like this and I feel there was a lot of good character development this season.

5. Danella

Danella Townie

Personally, season 6 was my favorite. It was all about becoming an adult and struggling with personal demons. It was very emotional and the character development was just brilliant.
    The thing is, this season is not about Buffy being the hero like all the other ones, she even seems sad and helpless next to Willow. But from my perspective that is what makes it the best of all. The writers put our characters in very vulnerable positions and the result was amazing.
    Luckily there were less demons around to distract us from the main arc.
    Season 7 just threw it all away, and that is why it is my least favorite.

Silverspike likes this.
  6. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    I'm afraid I'm a little late to the party, but no, you're not the only one. Season 6 is probably my favorite season.
    I like that it took the show to an even darker place. Everybody's fighting their own personal demons (no pun intended), everything just sucks, lots of drama, Buffy doesn't really want to live in the real world. All of this makes the giant, epic season finale all the more rewarding. I love it.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  7. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I just think its some of the writing which lets S6 down. I don't mind it being darker its just not always done in very engaging or believable way. At times some of themes are a little forced and ram you over the head. It still has its moments of course and isn't all bad.

thrasherpix and thetopher like this.
  8. Ember

Ember To kill this girl, you have to love her.

I love season six, in all its dark glory.
    Most of the characters underwent major transformation processes, which were much needed for the growth of the characters and for the show to move from teen themes to adult themes.

Loved Willows arc.
    Buffy's was brilliant.
    Xander's was in the ball park.
    Spikes was good but lacked depth, leaving lots to the imagination.

Season 7 was rushed, which is a shame.

9. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

IMO, the problem isn't with S6. It's with S7. Yes, we saw the characters going through hell and making mistakes, and while the first six episodes of S7 were wonderful and showed a bright outcome after the darkness of S6, the rest of S7 was a disaster.

10. cryptwarmer

cryptwarmer I'm in charge of morale!

Black Thorn
    I love it and hate it.

When I first watched it, it was hard slogging through the relentless misery.

But...having had a near death experience, and having some serious mental illness issues, I also related to a lot of it. Which made it that much better as well as that much worse.

I like the different seasons for the different things they have to offer.

More Spike and less Angel is ALWAYS a plus for me personally.

He's so much fun to watch.

I really felt badly for Xander in the sense that I felt the writers let him down. He was such an ass.

bespangeled: I hear you - this season focuses on a lot of realities!
  11. Alara

Alara Townie

I think alot of people prefer s1-3 and while I love s1 and can rewatch it on repeat, I think s4-7 are more relatable and becomes more centered on the characters.

S1-3 seems more about defeating the big bad of the week and not really getting personal with the characters besides Buffy. We never even really get much insight into Joyce and how she feels about everything until s4.

I guess I am also a little biased because the very first ep I saw was Hush when I was 7 on TV and from there on I was hooked.

flow likes this.
  12. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

Season 6 is my favourite. Bleakness doesn't necessarily make great television, but the writing was so good imo, it really did lift the show to new heights and take it in a different direction. Season 6 does split opinons and is controversial, but that's just another plus point to me, and keeps me wanting to discuss it.

flow likes this.
  13. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Season 6 was interesting. It was engrossing. It is my second favourite behind Season 3 and showed characters being thrust into adulthood. The two-part opening is the best of the series. There are some duds after that but it is a strong season where every episode is memorable even if it is not enjoyable.

flow likes this.
  14. BrownJacker

BrownJacker A Reader of All Things

Sineya
    I was Ok with season 6. I liked that Willow's magical screw ups throughout the series had to be addressed. I liked that Buffy was realistically depressed and angry with her friends. I like Spike. I wish season 7 followed up on the character arcs they began, but that doesn't take away from my enjoyment, and Once More With Feeling was my favorite episode of Buffy. It was also necessary, and I think grew the characters in an adult fashion, forcing adulthood on everyone. I didn't like the Trio, hated, though understood the necessity of, the AR scene, and was disappointed by the lack of a true Big Bad. It wasn't my favorite, but it was better than season 4, in my opinion.

15. Spikeyspike

Spikeyspike Townie

Onrealistic? Except for the supernatural stuff, it's the most realistic season... I dont get people.

GoSpuffy likes this.
  16. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I get why people think it's unrealistic. Both those who love it and those who hate it manage to articulate their arguments in a way where it's understandable. I don't mind the season too much. I liked Buffy's emptiness, but then I do enjoy when the lead of a show is unlikeable to a degree.

I think season 6 shares the load of bad episodes with season 7, in comparison to the rest of the series, but I certainly enjoyed season 6 more than 7. At least they were still somewhat emotional beings.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  17. Dora

Dora Potential

Hated season six then and now
    Joss basically left and left it to MN hence all the depressive Arch . There is a piece where she says they decided on the depressive arch because they could not think of anything else to do with Buffy
    Hated the way all the characters was destroyed it turned from being Buffy the vampire slayer to a soap opera
    Willow drug addition why did we need Willow being portrait as a junkie as lots of soap opera have stories about junkies already
    Xander leaving Anya at the alta...... how soap is that
    Giles just leaving how can he was he not Buffy watcher did she not get him reinstated with back pay ?
    What else could they do with Spike, he was a evil vampire if he could not fight with Buffy as they had no big bad then it only left him to be involved with Buffy , Buffy normally would never go near Spike so they gave Buffy a mental illness ,
    The destruction of Buffy character in both season six and seven is covered by growing up ....Total rubbish..... Buffy particular but like the other scoobies was sacrificed for JW and MN love child Spike
    In a interview when season six had just finished MN says they do not expect Sarah to come back after her contract runs out at the end of season seven, and early in season seven both JW and SMG says she told JW she would not be coming back after her contract finished , its just JW told nobody else

18. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy BFF of Sour Patch Kid

Sineya
    Whether or not you love season six depends on if you appreciated Buffy as a drama or a romantic, heroic story. Personally, I enjoy the heartbreaking moments in Buffy just as much as the happy moments in Buffy. So I love season six and I think the characters all going through the downward spirals they experienced was brilliant. But for people who are always looking for the happy ending, I could see why you got tired or annoyed of season 6.

GoSpuffy, Zenseem and Priceless like this.
  19. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

Personally, it wasn't wanting a happy ending - and I believe it's the same for a lot of those who disliked or were disappointed by S6. I hated how a lot of characterizations were sacrificed to make Buffy's life extra miserable. I don't mind misery, I just don't want it to be at the expense of other characters.

RomanticSoul and thrasherpix like this.
  20. Dora

Dora Potential

I thought that what made Buffy great it had Drama, romance,humour,heart break, and of course our hero, season six lost it all . As I mentioned in my last post Buffy changed. it was no longer about Buffy and her mission Buffy and her friends it became a soap , Take Buffy and Spike Good girl with a abusive boyfriend, just like a soap the other scoobies I have already mentioned, there was nothing about growing up it was how can we make Buffy more depressed more miserable this episode. What part of growing up did Giles do when he dumped Buffy , How does being a addict help to maturity, Xander growing up...the Xander of previous seasons would have never just walked out on Anya, Buffy sleeping with a abusive boyfriend we already had Parker non of this misery had anything to do with Buffy the vampire Slayer
    Could any of the core four recover , well I suppose Willow could after all she was grieving and killed a couple of A/hole ,Xander no way ! not after dumping Anya , Giles no and Buffy would never be the same , the only plus one was Spike