- Nov 13, 2002
Date of Birth: 8 January 1977, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Birth Name: Amber Nicole Benson
Height: 5' 4" (1.63 m)
Mini Bio of Amber from IMDB.com
"Amber Benson was born on January 8, 1977 in Birmingham, Alabama. As a young girl, she studied singing, dancing as well as acting. While still in her teens, she was involved in productions at the local community theatre. Her family moved to Los Angeles soon afterwards in 1992 so she could pursue a career in acting.
Her first movie role was a minor part in King of the Hill (1993), where she played a good-natured, epileptic teenager and hotel resident which was set in 1930s Depression-era Indiana, which was immediately followed by another supporting part of Cheyenne, the best friend of Alicia Silverstone in The Crush (1993). A string of roles followed with her acting in three made-for-TV "Jack Reed" detective movies playing the daughter of the title detective as well as other minor and bit parts in Imaginary Crimes (1994), S.F.W. (1994) and Bye Bye Love (1995).
She's also acted in a number of independent film productions and film shorts including Take It Easy (1999), Deadtime (1999), Don's Plum (2001), Hollywood, Pennsylvania (2001). But Amber is probably best known for playing Tara, the shy, withdrawn witch and love interest of Willow for three seasons on the series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997) from early 2000 to 2002.
Amber has also tried her talent at writing and directing, starting in 2001 with the little-seen independent comedy-drama Chance (2002), where she played the title character. She has also wrote various stage plays as well as the scripts for other independent movie productions like The Theory of the Leisure Class (2001) and Ghosts of Albion: Legacy (2003) (TV).
IMDb Mini Biography By: Matt Patay"
Amber Benson Biography at Wikipedia
Fansite Bio of Amber Benson
* Has had roles in movies with actors whom she would later join on the cast of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997): Lindsay Crouse and Eliza Dushku in Bye Bye Love (1995) and Seth Green in Can't Hardly Wait (1998).
* She is most proud of her work in the film King of the Hill (1993), her appearances as 'Tara' on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997) and her own movie project Chance (2002).
* Loves to read and spends a lot of her "down time" on set reading. Lists some of her favourite authors as Ray Bradbury, Susan Cooper, Marion Zimmer Bradley, J.K. Rowling (the 'Harry Potter' series) and Christopher Golden (the 'Body of Evidence' series).
* Lives in Los Angeles with her mother, her dog Pennsylvania (aka Penny) and her cat Benneton (aka Benny).
* She traveled to Romania to film the movie Taboo (2002).
* In 2001, at the age of just 24, Amber directed, wrote, produced and starred in her own movie called Chance (2002). It was presented at the Sundance Film Festival in 2002.
* She was born on Elvis Presley's birthday (January 8th) in 1977 (the year of Elvis' death.)
* Is a vegetarian.
* Wrote a comic book based on the characters of Willow and Tara as part of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic books series.
* Amber was to return to "Buffy" in the 7th season, (following Tara's death) playing a being posing as Tara Maclay. However, negotiations with the show fell through. Her decision not to return was at least in part because creator Joss Whedon wanted her to play a villain masquerading as her slain character, Tara. Knowing how Tara's death had upset so many of her fans, Amber did not want to further traumatize them by having the character seemingly return from the grave, but being evil. The character was retooled and the role went to Azura Skye reprising her role of Cassie Newton instead.
* Amber Benson arrived late at a "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" convention in June, 2003, because a deer ran into her mother's car in upstate New York.
* According to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997) producer Marti Noxon, series creator Joss Whedon originally rejected her for the role of "Tara", feeling she wasn't the proper physical type. But Noxon insisted that she be allowed to read for the part again, and it was at the second audition that Whedon realized she would be perfect for the part.
* Has a publishing deal along with author Christopher Golden to write a series of original novels based upon their animated BBCi film, "The Ghosts of Albion".
* Wrote a vignette for Dark Horse Comics' "Tales of the Slayer" graphic novel, with Joss Whedon and other Buffy TV and comic writers. Benson wrote about a vampire slayer from The French Revolution period, who accidentally killed a man.
* At age 6, she danced in the Alabama Ballet Company's production of "The Nutcracker." She was also a member of the Birmingham Children's Theater.
* Parents are Ed and Diane Benson. Her younger sister, Danielle, is an artist.
* She suffered a badly broken foot in early 2004 when landscapers left a barrel full of discarded sod in her yard, and she tried to move it to the curb and it fell on her foot. She had to film her part in Intermedio (2005) on crutches as a result.
* Joss Whedon originally wanted to resurrect Amber's character, Tara, in the series finale of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997). Buffy was to be given one wish, which she would agonize over for the entire episode. Finally, she would step aside to reveal Tara for the final shot.
* Shares a birthday with director Francesco Roder and actress Sarah Polley.
* She sang on two tracks of fellow "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997) co-star, Anthony Head's solo CD project, "Music for Elevators".
* As a young teenager, co-anchored (along with A.J. McLean, later of the Backstreet Boys) the pilot for a proposed television news program aimed at kids. However, the pilot was not picked up.
* Has a three-book deal with Penguin Publishing. Her first original novel has been announced as "Death's Daughter," the story of a young career woman in New York who finds out her dad is actually the angel of death.
* Played in a band called Rhodestar with Hayley Taylor.
* Lives in Los Angeles with her boyfriend, actor/singer Adam Busch.
IMDB Filmography of Amber Benson
Books of Amber Benson
Amber Benson Approved Fansite
Amber Benson YouTube Page