• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Andrew people's views on him in S7

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I have this love / hate relationship in. He has some of the most touching moments in the show, yet there are times where he is so annoying. I do have to say I like him more in the comics. I love his arc in s10.

I do think it was kind of conceited to make him come out as gay. Like I am glad they made a choice, but the way it was done was...bad. He is a living and breathing stereotype.

Izzie

Townie
I really liked Andrew in this season. I hated every single one of the potentials and scenes with them was just torture to watch (maybe there was just too many of them)
So Andrew kinda stood out for me of all the new people who were just hanging about at the Summers home.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I was going to start a thread based on this anyway but might as well stick it here. I think Jonathan should have been the one from the Trio to survive and return in S7. Because of his history with the Scoobies it would be more believable that he would come back and end up on the good team. The audience would certainly believe in it more having seen Jonathan over so many years.

Besides a mini-redemption arc and expanding on the Universe it baffles me why Andrew was brought back.

Btvs fan

Scooby
I was going to start a thread based on this anyway but might as well stick it here. I think Jonathan should have been the one from the Trio to survive and return in S7. Because of his history with the Scoobies it would be more believable that he would come back and end up on the good team. The audience would certainly believe in it more having seen Jonathan over so many years.

Besides a mini-redemption arc and expanding on the Universe it baffles me why Andrew was brought back.
Short answer is because if Jonathon had stabbed Andrew in Comversations, no one would've cared and it would've had no impact with the audience whatsoever.
Now Jonathon dying, the audience knows him and it's a different kettle of fish

Mr Trick

Scooby
@Btvs fan Good point. I guess that's more a reason for Jonathan dying than Andrew sticking around. I wouldn't have minded the odd Andrew episode to tie his story up. Not sure he warranted anymore than that.

kalike123

Townie
Whiny Andrew was my least favorite of the three, but I liked the other two a lot. A big problem I had with Andrew was the geek stuff. When The Trio would go off about characters and stories, I never had a clue what they were talking about. With the exception of Matthew Broderick, I'm not sure I ever got a single reference they made & Andrew was very big on those.

He really didn't seem to belong in S7, but he was in a house full of people who didn't belong, so whatever.

As time goes on, I find him less annoying than I did on my first run-through.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Whiny Andrew was my least favorite of the three, but I liked the other two a lot. A big problem I had with Andrew was the geek stuff. When The Trio would go off about characters and stories, I never had a clue what they were talking about. With the exception of Matthew Broderick, I'm not sure I ever got a single reference they made & Andrew was very big on those.

He really didn't seem to belong in S7, but he was in a house full of people who didn't belong, so whatever.

As time goes on, I find him less annoying than I did on my first run-through.
You know I watched an episode yesterday when Andrew actually referenced Misery and went deeper in pointing out a difference between the novel and film. I was quite surprised based on the sort of nerd he had been portrayed as so far than he had even read Misery. I think the problem with his character is they just go for the obvious stereotype. It wouldn't be so bad, but the references seem to come every other sentence with him. More references like the Misery one may have me more on board.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
You know I watched an episode yesterday when Andrew actually referenced Misery and went deeper in pointing out a difference between the novel and film. I was quite surprised based on the sort of nerd he had been portrayed as so far than he had even read Misery.
Andrew is a TV nerd which means he's an expert about every single nerd sub-culture; literature, comics, sci-fi movies, anime and everything really. That's pretty consistent with Andrew because its its his only real characteristic.

In reality most nerds only 'nerd-out' and are an expert on specific things like horror movies or Star Trek or DC comics.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Andrew is a TV nerd which means he's an expert about every single nerd sub-culture; literature, comics, sci-fi movies, anime and everything really. That's pretty consistent with Andrew because its its his only real characteristic.

In reality most nerds only 'nerd-out' and are an expert on specific things like horror movies or Star Trek or DC comics.
I get that. Its just so far much of his nerdom had been restricted to comic book and popular film reference. Also because of his age I wasn't sure if Andrew would have read Misery.

thetopher
thetopher
He name-checks anime and a whole bunch of other niche-nerd things though.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Andrew is possibly the most annoying character in the whole franchise.
Kennedy takes that crown, closely followed by Connor, then Rona. Andrew would be 4th.

Also because of his age I wasn't sure if Andrew would have read Misery.
Maybe he saw the movie?

The only scenes I liked of Andrew in Season 7 were when he was with the First in the guise of Warren and Jonathan. "Don't think about Babe" and the bit about the microwave clock were funny. Without the rest of the trio, Andrew is unnecessary.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Kennedy takes that crown, closely followed by Connor, then Rona. Andrew would be 4th.

Maybe he saw the movie?

The only scenes I liked of Andrew in Season 7 were when he was with the First in the guise of Warren and Jonathan. "Don't think about Babe" and the bit about the microwave clock were funny. Without the rest of the trio, Andrew is unnecessary.
Oh yeah, but he pointed out a difference between film and book.

I was re-watching Storyteller tonight and I really enjoyed it. Its a turning point episode for the character. He's never going to be a favourite of mine, but he does improve post-that episode.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I don’t find Andrew himself annoying, it’s more that the writers cherry pick what characters they’re going to actually give consequences to and who they aren’t. Andrew is one that they let completely off the hook (along with Anya) which is annoying. But I think Tom Lenk is a great actor, and he was funny and made me believe that Andrew was in denial over stabbing Jonathan in Storyteller. I cry almost every time in the scene where he thinks Buffy will kill him and I’m not even attached to him as a character so that says something.

Btvs fan

Scooby
I don't find a pathetic and weak murderer entertaining. Andrew should've died instead of Jonathan and Anya.
Jonathan was killed instead of him because no one would've given a crap if he'd been stabbed. Lol and its the same for Chosen too.

@DeadlyDuo Andrew in Damage is good. He's portrayed as all geeky until the end where the mask is taken off and he's ruthlessly doubling crossing Angel.

Andrew in The Girl in Question (it was meant to be Dawn for this role) less so.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Jonathan was killed instead of him because no one would've given a crap if he'd been stabbed. Lol and its the same for Chosen too.
That doesn't exactly endear Andrew to the audience though. He survived because nobody cared enough about him so other more popular characters were killed off in his place.

Thing is though, a good heartbreaking death scene can make the audience care about a character they previously didn't give a crap about. The point of Jonathan's death wasn't that Jonathan died, it was all about Andrew. The roles would be better reversed because the audience is more invested in Jonathan and it kind of completes his story arc from being a nobody to falling in with the wrong crowd to standing on his own two feet and fighting for what is right.

kalike123

Townie
Kennedy takes that crown, closely followed by Connor, then Rona. Andrew would be 4th
OMG, I hate stupid, stupid, annoying Connor MUCH more than Andrew. The mention of Connor makes me think, "OK, Andrew's not bad..."

I saw the actor who played Connor in something else and I kept thinking, "I hate this guy. Why do I hate him? What has he been in?" I didn't hate the guy. I hate Connor, but the intensity of my hatred colored my view.

God, I hated Connor. And Cordy's ****ing coma. 🙄

And I got the Misery thing, having read the book and seen the movie. There were so many that I didn't get. I'd just sit there thinking, "This makes sense to people who get it." :)

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
I’ve slightly changed my mind about him after re-watching the show, although it hasn’t been a huge change. The first time I watched him, I really liked Andrew, I found him hilarious and I took him merely as a comic relief.

Upon re-watching, I find him irritating at times, he can be too whiny. But I still have fun watching most of his scenes. But I agree with the opinion that he really didn’t have a redemption arc within the show (except for Storyteller, where he finally takes some responsibility for killing Jonathan) and went from hostage to “guestage” to Scooby way too easily.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Andrew is the only highlight of season 7. Seriously. I love him and he’s hilarious and his commentary makes season 7 watchable.

But if I look at him objectively as a character I hate the guy and he shouldn’t be there. It annoys me that they inserted him into the scoobies, and that he never faces any repercussions for his role in Katrinas attempted gang rape , her mind control, and the cover up of her murder. That’s never mentioned and he shows no remorse for it. He murders a character we have known since season 2 and has actually attempted to redeem himself ( Jonathan) and all we get is some tears over the seal. He’s treated like the wacky neighbor and becomes a scooby as if season 6 never happened. He literally gets the dream that Jonathon always wanted and activity attempted to work and redeem himself for. Jonathan even helps Buffy defeat Warren by telling her to destroy those balls and he never gets any credit for it. Faith went on a path of self hate, attempted suicide, went to jail and saved Angels life all to seek redemption and become a better person and Jonathan DIES trying to do something right and Andrew? Spends a few days tied up in Buffy’s house and cries a bit and all’s forgiven because he’s funny. So on paper it really irritates the hell out of me.
Andrew was more willing to follow Warren more than Jonathan was.

thetopher
thetopher
'love makes you do the wacky'.
Top Bottom