• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel and Cordelia seeding in Buffy season 1?

Hecate25

Townie
So I'm rewatching Season 3 at the moment and the part where the romance between Angel and Cordelia is developing.

Very early on in Buffy, Buffy gets jealous of Angel and Cordelia together - remember there is one episode where Buffy is late to meet Angel for a date and when she shows up to The Bronze Cordelia and Angel are there together. In all honestly, it DOES look like there is some chemistry between them.

Did Joss start seeding this early on to prepare us for the Angel/Cordie romance? Just wondered if anyone had ever read or heard him or the other writers say anything along those lines.

Faded90

Scooby
Definitely not. Cangel was the result of the network wanting Angel to have a romance in S3 of AtS and the writers not really wanting him in a relationship so creating the ‘will they/won’t they’ thing which was always going to be a ‘they won’t’ 😂

I think they brought Cordy into the story of Bangel early on to show that despite her position etc she is still a teenage girl with insecurities

Hecate25

Townie
Interesting @Faded90 . I do have to kind of wonder, if the network wanted a romance - why Cordelia? Maybe I am wrong here but I just can't help but feel that it's a bit of an after thought. Buffy was his major love and therefore Cordelia wasn't in with a shot. Cordelia having a chance with Angel because Buffy is out of the picture isn't exactly what great love is made of is it?

But yes - watching their romance develop I assumed Joss had begun seeding the romance very early on in Buffy Season 1 because Cordelia is clearly interested and there is obviously some chemistry between them. Interesting to hear that wasn't a factor.

Priceless

Scooby
I don't think Joss seeded the idea of Cordy and Angel in BtVS S1, as he had no idea back then that Angel would get a spin-off. But I do think they are cute together, and I love that Angel laughs at Cordy's story 😍 and I don't think he ever actually laughs with Buffy.

Bop
Bop
I'm pretty sure Angel laughs in IWRY

Faded90

Scooby
Interesting @Faded90 . I do have to kind of wonder, if the network wanted a romance - why Cordelia? Maybe I am wrong here but I just can't help but feel that it's a bit of an after thought. Buffy was his major love and therefore Cordelia wasn't in with a shot. Cordelia having a chance with Angel because Buffy is out of the picture isn't exactly what great love is made of is it?

But yes - watching their romance develop I assumed Joss had begun seeding the romance very early on in Buffy Season 1 because Cordelia is clearly interested and there is obviously some chemistry between them. Interesting to hear that wasn't a factor.
Cangel also started when Buffy had went to a different network and the WB had a paddy that BTVS had left and even the writers got meta with it ‘don’t mention the B word’ and the actors were giving interviews saying things like ‘Buffy is nothing to us now. We’re moving on’.

It’s also why the reasoning behind Cangel just completely falls flat because it’s just as doomed as Bangel and for the exact same reasons 😂

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangel
Where I live, but really don't want to be.
So I'm rewatching Season 3 at the moment and the part where the romance between Angel and Cordelia is developing.

Very early on in Buffy, Buffy gets jealous of Angel and Cordelia together - remember there is one episode where Buffy is late to meet Angel for a date and when she shows up to The Bronze Cordelia and Angel are there together. In all honestly, it DOES look like there is some chemistry between them.

Did Joss start seeding this early on to prepare us for the Angel/Cordie romance? Just wondered if anyone had ever read or heard him or the other writers say anything along those lines.

Reading this answers a lot of questions.
There would have been no seeding, foreshadowing, or hinting about Cangel in S1 or even the beginning of filming for Buffy S2, because there was no plans for spinning off the Angel character at that time. Anything that looked like like that would be a coincidence.

I don´t think it was seeding. Cordelia represented the road not taken for Buffy so seeing her with Angel illustrated Buffy´s desire to be a normal girl, like Cordelia. As mentioned above, they kind of threw Cangel together in season 3 but there was a strong foundation of close friendship, trust, and affection building for the first two seasons of Angel so there was something to play with. Cordelia changed so much on Angel, I found the relationship believable in general and I didn´t feel they tried to make it some epic love story like Bangel. We always saw Angel react to Buffy´s relationships. I would have loved to see Buffy react to Dangel or Cangel. Best we got was that half a sec of Buffy jealousy bc Faith was in his mind. Small but telling moment.

Nearwild

Townie
I've just finished AtS S2 so haven't got the the Cangel business yet, but I really like Angel best when he's just doing jobs with his friends, having fun, no drama. I find him pretty tedious when he's with the Big Doomed Love, so maybe that's why it looks like there's chemistry in those first interactions in Buffy- because there's no pressure or crazy fate stuff happening. It's just two people hanging out at a bar, briefly enjoying the company.

I think I'm going to hate S3 & 4 aren't I...

T
thrasherpix
The love triangles rubbed in our faces s3-4 (not just Cangel) was an aspect that really grated on me. I liked the seasons anyway, but in spite of it. Wouldn't be surprised if you hate it.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
I don't think they were preparing us for Cangel but I like rewatching those scenes because it really does seem like Angel is very amused by Cordy and likes being around her. He definitely entertains her a lot more than he does anyone else other than Buffy. In season 2 of Buffy that is.
Why couldn't they be friends?

N
Nearwild
Angel needs friends way more than he needs love interests.

Faded90

Scooby
I don't think they were preparing us for Cangel but I like rewatching those scenes because it really does seem like Angel is very amused by Cordy and likes being around her. He definitely entertains her a lot more than he does anyone else other than Buffy. In season 2 of Buffy that is.
Why couldn't they be friends?
‘Why couldn’t they be friends?’

I think this is something people needed to ask the AtS writers in S3/4 about every single character 😂

Top Bottom