• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel and Faith 9.22 "What You Want, Not What You Need, Pt 2" - Released 5/29/13

Mischlings

Potential
21607.jpg

Giles's resurrection has been pushed to the back burner while Angel and Faith tackle Season 9's Big Bads"”Pearl, Nash, and Whistler"”who threaten to release boundless magic over the planet. Only the strong will survive!

I... Just... Wow. This issue is something else entirely. I reviewed it here, but I really want to know what other people think. I absolutely love it, but I'm sure that not everyone is going to agree, so for the moment I just want to know what everyone else thinks and I'll go into specifics later.

I'll just say that I never saw this twist coming.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
I honestly don't know how I feel about it. It was the last thing I every expected to happen and having read it three times today, it feels rather out of place in a season that has been so serious. On one side, tween Giles is cute, and certainly the way everyone reacted to him was amusing, but... it just felt weird. Like Smile Time but not quite as good or effective.

Before this issue I had been certain that it would be the aunts to die, but now I'm worried about Giles again. I don't think his current state can be sustained in the story and if he is returned to his true age we are faced with the same issue we face at the end of S8: Giles has no real purposed in the story anymore. That's why he was killed, to make him relevant.

Another friend pointed out that this is a hallmark fic move and I can't get that out of my mind either.

So I'm caught in this limbo of not hating but not really liking it either.

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
Before this issue I had been certain that it would be the aunts to die, but now I'm worried about Giles again. I don't think his current state can be sustained in the story and if he is returned to his true age we are faced with the same issue we face at the end of S8: Giles has no real purposed in the story anymore. That's why he was killed, to make him relevant.

I feel the same way, worrying about Giles dying now.

What I will say though, is I thought from day one that Joss was fibbing when he came out with the whole Giles being irrelevant in print media thing, for the sole purpose of adding to the surprise when he resurrected him.

Even though I'm admittedly largely comic illiterate, I do know the adage "no one stays dead in comics except Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben," and I believe the first two actually have been brought back :p I think Joss fully had that rule in mind when he killed Giles in 2011.

Getting to Giles' usefulness specifically, the Marvel Comics version of Whistler serves a similar role in the Blade vampire series I believe. I can't say for certain as I haven't read the Blade comics, but I have seen the movie based on them, and Whistler is basically a less interesting version of Giles, except into guns rather than magic. So if Whistler can exist, I see no reason Giles cannot, nor do I think Whedon himself ever believed that statement as anything more than a red herring for fans to add to the suspense of seeing if he would actually be brought back.

Anya2012

Floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
I just read the issue and loved it. I love the idea of tween Giles, he's adorable. And i get why he doesn't want Angel telling Buffy either.

Lyri
Lyri
LOVE your banner!!

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I like it when they manage to squeeze in some fun stuff.
And this issue was surely fun and extremely unexpected.

You can't help to love little Giles. :)

Can't see him staying this way though. So yeah I wonder how they will solve this.
Killing him off (again) or making him a grown up?
Not sure if they can kill him off again so soon. It would all seem so meaningless then. But on the other hand... yeah I really don't know.

/SK

iShower4free

Scooby
The Angel and Faith comics make me uncomfortable as a Bangel fan because im starting to want Angel and Faith to be together more and more haha but I am off point. I definitely think the "tween" Giles is Joss' way of keeping Giles around in the story, he really doesnt have much of a place in his original role. I think the reason the Giles-esque character, Whistler, in Blade the comics works is because there really arent that many other character outside of Blade. In the Buffyverse there are soooooo many characters, both from the original shows as well as the horde that have been introduced in the comics.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
Finally got around to picking up this issue!

I did not see the tween Giles twist coming at all. I have mixed feelings about it, like others have mentioned it makes me worried for his character - will he survive this? But on the other hand tween Giles is a little fun. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

On a side note, I really appreciate the continuity between the two titles.

B
Buffyverse Fan
continuity is key :)

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
lol, yeah didn't see tween Giles coming, I though there was a possibility he'd come back as a baby (but was really hoping it wouldn't happen)

But a tween Giles is a good idea, he gets to be a useful as before, but will need protecting which he isn't going to like, so it does put him in an interesting place. I'm just not sure if I'd want to see that long term, or would rather see him returned to his normal age but less relevant.

I also really hope they don't keep going with the tween boy jokes, it cemented the story in this issue, but doesn't need to go any further.

Also definitely loving Perl, Nash and Whistler, they seem like a well balanced credable threat.

Top Bottom