• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel being Irish

DrewBarroo

Townie
I've been watching Buffy season 2 again recently, and I don't know what you think but David boreanaz' Irish accent is rubbish, I mean bless him for trying but really, its crap

ps I don't know whether there is another thread like this, sorry if there is, my search thing dosn't work.

WRITE BACK! :coolman:

sORRY i put the thread in the wrong place, i'm stupid I apoligise!

Crazy Flakes

Velma
Haha, I think everyone agrees that Angel's Irish accent was horrid. And it certainly didn't help that he had crappy hairstyles to match it.

B
bloody pet
so true but have to give him cedit for trying

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
He was meant to be Irish?!?

Seriously though, it is pretty bad. But still not as bad as Keanu Reeves' accent in Bram Stoker's Dracula. :lol2:

T

T.I.P

It was bad, but to be fair, DB is a crap actor, he just played a good roll, fair play to him though.

A

atticus

Completely crappy accent. I think a lot of people think we talk like leprechauns. " Well gosh and begorra, thar me dear Buffy, would ya be liking me to have an ould bite of yar neck"

J

JenniferAlice

I liked his accent, it was different, yeah, but even when he was 'L.A Angel' you could sometimes hear his Irish accent coming through, or, maybe I'm just insane.

luckystar

5 by 5
all i can say is im glad he didnt keep his accent like spike and dru did, i wouldnt have been able to sit thru bangel scenes

Tueuse de Vampires

Love will tear us apart..
I can't actually judge any accents, since I'm not native to English and I also have a nice, thick, foreign accent myself. But yeah, from what I've heard (and one of the people telling me this is at least half Irish) it's really horrible.

But hey, sympathy for DB, I know how tough accents can't be, believe me, I would love to sound real English, but I just can't make it work, so yeah, same for him I guess.

Lily

Chantarelle-Lily-Anne
I can vaguely remember reading an article with DB back in the day, where he said he was terrible, but they wouldn't let him NOT do an accent... yet his friend/everyone else he comes in contact with later, have like no accents.
This is one of those moments when I wish I hadn't lost all my BtVS scrapbooks!

palabravampiress

Bidet of Evil
Black Thorn
Yes, yes, yes. Poor DB was not blessed by the accent fairy. It was like nails on a chalkboard, that accent. Why on earth didn't they just make Angel American once they figured out that the actor they hired couldn't do an accent? He could have been a colonial American instead of an 18th century Irishman. Come on. It wouldn't have made that much difference. Angel's Irish ancestry was not worth having to sit through DB's horrible attempts at speaking with an Irish accent.

P

Perny

OK I can tell you this:
For a person who never/rarely hear the irish accent, it doesn't seem horrid. My brother e.g thought it was how it sounds like.
I am not bothered by the accent. I didn't notice it. The story was far more to important than his accent. He could have talked american street slang, and I still wouldn't have noticed

B
bloody pet
that just shows that no one cares.

bloody pet

Spikes a vamp with a bite
totally agree have to give him cedit he tried. but after that id have put a bag over my head. lol the only thing that is that it was so funny. DB sucks as a actor but has been givin a good role he was also good in valntine I think and not bad in mr fix it. but that accent BAD! and they say spikes accent sucks have they even listened to angels he is wrost and for the record I think spikes accent rocks! and they are just def.

P

Perny

^ Yeah.. British and Irish is different.
Plus James' accent wasn't bad. Some times it slipped, but that happens! Most people working on the show, didn't know he was american, so he can't have been that bad.

But I have to disagree BP. David is actually a good actor. I love him in Bones. Really. I don't mind David, I just don't like the character he plays(Angel).

Sweetescape

Eyeballs to entrails, my sweet.
I agree it was appalling, but the worst ever accent i have ever heard is Kendra's! seriously why,why,why?! i couldn't take her scene's seriously, couldn't they find a real Jamaican (if that was were she was supposed to have come from?! i don't no her accent was so bad!) actress or another actress with an accent?
But i think Spike,Wesley and Dru both did really good accent's when i hear James and Alexis talk in American accents it sounds so wrong!

Kali

Dr. Ogyn - Dorm pride!!
But I have to disagree BP. David is actually a good actor. I love him in Bones. Really. I don't mind David, I just don't like the character he plays(Angel).

Absolutely agree, I think he is really great in Bones! He banters well with Tempe too, a good bit of friction between them. I've never thought he was a bad actor (apart from in Valentine and Mr Fix It - they were a bit lame, but then, hey, you can only be as good as the role and script allows)
I agree it was appalling, but the worst ever accent i have ever heard is Kendra's! seriously why,why,why?! i couldn't take her scene's seriously, couldn't they find a real Jamaican (if that was were she was supposed to have come from?! i don't no her accent was so bad!) actress or another actress with an accent?
But i think Spike,Wesley and Dru both did really good accent's when i hear James and Alexis talk in American accents it sounds so wrong!

DB's accent is terrible, but at least you get the feel of Irish. Not like Kendra's ...

I'm not sure we even know for SURE Kendra is Jamaican, I think it would be safer to say it is some sort of 'old colony' patois, could be any island of the West Indies.... and yes, I completely agree.... James and Alexis are totally bizarre with American accents. Quite freaky when you first hear it! (Actually even weirder when you see JM singing and talking in American 15 feet away from you at an up close and personal gig... that was quite, quite surreal :D)

Top Bottom