• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Angel/Cordy vs. Buffy/Angel vs. Darla/Angel vs. Nina/Angel

AngelsCordy

Townie
I think it's good that everyone has their own opinion. For me the most believable relationship in the whole verse is - Cordelia and Angel, since they was only a casual acquaintance in Sunnydale and started out as a stranger. During their time in Los Angeles, they became friends and then fell in love. The relationship took time to grow, that's why it particularly appeals to me and it feels more real to me :) And again its my opinion!

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I would argue the most authentic vision of the character is either involved with Buffy or is mourning his lost love for all time, until the shanshu is fulfilled. Darla was a fun few months, but I hesitate to call it a relationship, as it makes Carol Danvers and Marcus seem healthy. Cordelia embodied what I hated most about Spike, Anya and Tara in Season 4, where someone takes a story written for Season 3 characters, and simply swaps out the characters and doesn't change anything. Nina, well, I liked her. While I like destiny, it was nice to see a relationship that was just going to last for a season, especially in contrast to overly dramatic banglish.

Reactions: Ann
S

SpikeRocks

@FaithLehane16 It cracks me up on how wrong you are. @NileQT87 is totally right.

There is no wrong, honey 😉 This thread contains our opinion's on Angel-ships. If you're trying to say Boreanaz was not a Cangel shipper by the end of things....I don't care! LOL. Couldn't give a rat's ass what the actor's opinions are, they always flip-flop back and forth. The quotes I gave from Boreanaz and the writer's were simply a set I ran across that were interesting to read and happened to convey my opinion on Angel's ships. That's all. 😘😘

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
Buffy and Angel never stunted each other. Buffy is the reason why Angel is off on his own show.

S
SpikeRocks
Lol, because by staying, neither character was going to grow (the definition of stunted). Joss said he had nowhere else for them to go in S4 if Angel had stayed. They're best development is apart from each other.

FaithLehane16

@SpikeRocks Buffy was his inspiration that lead him to that path.

S
SpikeRocks
Back in S1 and before she was called. Thats not what his leaving was about tho...he'd already been on his path by then
Reactions: Ann

BaskingINBangel

I'm a little bit bison
I like these three....

Angel/Buffy - My OTP. Need I say more?
Angel/Darla - I love this pairing quite a bit actually. There is a part of me that would have loved for Angel and Darla to have ended up together raising Connor.
Angel/Nina - I find myself liking this relationship more and more every time I do a re-watch. It's a chill, no strings attached relationship, that Angel really needed at that point in time. Plus, they look kind of good together.

As for Angel/Cordy, well.....I have my own little head cannon to explain that relationship. And I won't go into detail because I've already expressed my opinions about this relationship on other threads on this forum, and I don't want to thrash anyone's favorite ship.

FaithLehane16

I like these three....

Angel/Buffy - My OTP. Need I say more?
Angel/Darla - I love this pairing quite a bit actually. There is a part of me that would have loved for Angel and Darla to have ended up together raising Connor.
Angel/Nina - I find myself liking this relationship more and more every time I do a re-watch. It's a chill, no strings attached relationship, that Angel really needed at that point in time. Plus, they look kind of good together.

As for Angel/Cordy, well.....I have my own little head cannon to explain that relationship. And I won't go into detail because I've already expressed my opinions about this relationship on other threads on this forum, and I don't want to thrash anyone's favorite ship.
What do you think about Angel(us)&Faith?

BaskingINBangel
BaskingINBangel
Adore them as friends/redemption buddies! Not big on the idea of them romantically.

AngelsCordy

Townie
Not my cup of tea!! In my over 20 years in the fandom I have never think of them. The only Angel ships I am really interested in are Cangel (otp) even before it was a thing and Dangel :)

@FaithLehane16 How did you get the imagination of Fangel?

FaithLehane16

Not my cup of tea!! In my over 20 years in the fandom I have never think of them. The only Angel ships I am really interested in are Cangel (otp) even before it was a thing and Dangel :)

@FaithLehane16 How did you get the imagination of Fangel?
I hate Cangel with a passion.

Faith and Angel have so much in common and have so much understanding of each other.

AngelsCordy

Townie
Well, everyone has luckily their own opinion.
I dare to doubt it that they have a better understanding of each other. For me also they have rather a sibling vibe. BUT to each their own. Mostly I also like to think: let other ship what they like and don't make other ships down. I am just courius why do you hate it with a passion? Just because of ships battle? I'm in my 30s now and see it more relaxed than I did then.

Last edited:

FaithLehane16

@SpikeRocks
Angel was this antisocial homeless rat eating dude who was hanging around dirty alleys. He was lost and had no purpose. Upon seeing her, he wanted to change.
He changed because he wants to help her in her fight against evil.
He changed because he identified with her loneliness and the sacrificies she needs to make.
He changed because he wants to protect her.
He changed because she made him see that there’s still good in this world.
He changed because she made him realise that there’s still people who needs ppl like them to do the saving.
She was the reason he started Angel Investigations!!…He kept fighting for the good of humanity…the reason he became a Champion!!!…

Puppet
Puppet
Actually, it was Cordelia's idea to start Angel Investigations...
S

SpikeRocks

Angel was this antisocial homeless rat eating dude who was hanging around dirty alleys. He was lost and had no purpose. Upon seeing her, he wanted to change.
He changed because he wants to help her in her fight against evil.
He changed because he identified with her loneliness and the sacrificies she needs to make.
He changed because he wants to protect her.
He changed because she made him see that there’s still good in this world.
He changed because she made him realise that there’s still people who needs ppl like them to do the saving.
She was the reason he started Angel Investigations!!…He kept fighting for the good of humanity…the reason he became a Champion!!!…
Ok dude 🤣 🤣🤦‍♀️ Buffy is NOT the reason Angel started Angel Investigations, and she is NOT the sole purpose for his changing.

It's a huge injustice to Angel's character and his whole journey when you consider Buffy as the reason FOR his life/purpose, rather than considering her role IN his life's journey. It might fly if Angel's character wasn't seen again after leaving Buffy, but we delve a lot more deeply into him on his own show, and we learn a lot more. And some of those "points" you're trying to make get retconned (for the better!) to some degree.

Angel wanted to change, and was exploring those parts of himself (helping others) BEFORE ever laying eyes on Buffy, as we get in several flashbacks (BTW, we see many periods of his life where he was not simply a homeless rat eating dude). She played a part in his path to redemption, but in reality, his relationship drama with her ended up completely overshadowing it, and by consequence his time at Buffy's side was largely in service to her hero's journey, and was not much of an exploration of his. The people who actually played a larger role in his redemption journey are his crew in LA (Cordelia, Wesley, Doyle, Gunn, Lorne, Fred). They were a WAY bigger influence on him as he navigated his place/purpose in the world, in his helping the helpless, and in his struggle with redemption.

I'm not comfortable with people framing Angel's whole character (his entire life, purpose, and redemption arc) on the shoulders of his insta-connection with the young 15yr old crying in her bathroom as her parents fight, or the love/romance he had with this beacon-of-good teenage girl for a few years. If that's all his story was, and his sole inspiration for change, I would have completely checked-out and not followed him to LA.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Are you a Trump fan?

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
4) Angel and Cordy.
I certainly don't have any STRONG negative feelings towards them. The growth of their friendship in series was interesting to watch considering I never imagine in BTVS that these two characters would ever become close friends but somehow it work and it was great to see the natural development that felt organic in the way it unfolded.
However the way their 'almost relationship' did not. The way that their friends got involved felt high school in the similarity to how Willow was with Buffy regarding Angel and at least they did have the excuse of being in high school!!
I just didn't feel that strong romantic connection between them but I will always value their friendship but just believe it should have stop there.
3) Angel and Nina
I found myself surprisingly enjoying this development. I like Nina as a character and would have look forward to see more if they had continue on if there had been a sixth series. I think it was good to show a kind of relationship where it was necessarily going to be something you felt would possible develop into major but just one that you could both enjoy with no expectations which is good considering the nature of the two people involved!!
2) Angel and Darla
If we were just going by BTVS then I would not have ever thought anything good or interesting but of course the development of Darla on ATS means that her and Angel/Angelus complicated, compelling and complexing relationship became something that I never comprehended but it was brilliant watching their journey from the moment she bit him until that fantastic ending with Darla's sacrifice for the birth of their son.
1) To the surprise of No One 🙃😇 Angel and Buffy
I'll try to keep it short?! I love them then from their first meeting to their relationship, break up and strong and emotional connection that continue on and I still love them and will forever love them for the feelings they continue to invoke in me even now 20 years plus later 💝

S

SpikeRocks

love them for the feelings they continue to invoke in me even now 20 years plus later 💝
That's the best reason I've ever heard in support of Bangel, a relationship I can't find any/much redeeming merit in, so thank you 😁

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
That's the best reason I've ever heard in support of Bangel, a relationship I can't find any/much redeeming merit in, so thank you 😁
Why thank you as well. 😊

And I COMPLETELY understand your feelings towards BAngel because that is EXACTLY the way I feel your BTVS OTP coupling!! 🤪

S
SpikeRocks
Huh?
S

SpikeRocks

@FaithLehane16 Are you a Trump fan?

......what???

I don't have a more emphatic "no", and I'm very concerned to find out why you would even be asking me that question....??

Last edited by a moderator:

AstridDante

Potential
I chose my words carefully.......I said actor's opinions are anecdotal at best for me (i.e. they'll maybe make me go, "huh", but bare no weight). And I said, I only put stock in writer's opinions, if ever (i.e. if I'm going to care about an opinion from someone associated with the show, it will be the writer's.............I have found many examples of the writer's opinion/learning their intent behind a scene, to matter in my interpretation).
. I agree with you if there is anyone’s opinion I would put weight on for clarifying the intention behind a scene or the motivation of the character it is not the writer/creator

AngelsCordy

Townie
@Ann I am just curious :) but what make BAngel the best relationship for you? I think I never have fully understand that relationship. Since for me it was always CAngel. I also loved how the relation started - I also liked them even before it was a thing in the serie and I also liked the "slow" build up.

S
SpikeRocks
I've tried asking Bangel people this myself in a separate thread, hoping they could explain it so I could "get" it, but no one ever really responded with anything beyond the doomed/tragedy hook of it......I'm still left puzzled over it lol....

FaithLehane16

@SpikeRocks I'm more of a fan of the earlier years of Buffy, but I have watched the later seasons and Angel backwards and forwards, so I don't ignore what happens in them. I just don't support stupid, crappy, and sloppy writing. Plus Angel felt pretty much hopeless living in isolation and feeding off of rats most of the time, but that all changed when he first seen Buffy and her heart. He was the key to give him purpose to start making something of himself.

S
SpikeRocks
That's an interpretation that ignores a lot. Too much actually. I've addressed this in an earlier post to you. I agree there's lots of sloppy/stupid writing in this verse, but Bangel certainly doesn't escape it. Why did you "laugh" at AngelsCordy?
Top Bottom