• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Angel/Cordy vs. Buffy/Angel vs. Darla/Angel vs. Nina/Angel

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
SpikeRocks I've tried asking Bangel people this myself in a separate thread, hoping they could explain it so I could "get" it, but no one ever really responded with anything beyond the doomed/tragedy hook of it......I'm still left puzzled over it lol....

I think it slightly baffling why you want an such a explanation about why those of us love BAngel. I can't imagine there would be some big revelation that would make you suddenly see and feel about them like many of us do.

I believe it just come down to something in the person that emotional connects to the character/s and story. I certainly can tell you so much about what I adore about them but I can't make you see or feel it mainly because you didn't feel or see it in the beginning.

Even when you said that you like my answer you still felt it necessary to say about not finding them redeeming which makes me feel that you aren't really that open to understanding why people can still love them even with all their issues.

Like my little comment to you where you said 'huh?' was me having a little banter but basically saying that I don't find ANYTHING redeeming about Spuffy but know they have their many fans. I just never like it or felt it but that also a lot to do with me not liking Spike as a character in any shape or form especially from BTVS series 4 and onwards and up to ATS series 5.
However I just accept (even though I don't like them) that Spuffy has their fans and they feel something deep from them that didn't touch me in any way.

Like I don't think that Angel and Cordy had anything deeper than Buffy and Angel just because they ended up having a friendship first before feelings grew between them but I can see why others to see it differently.

AngelsCordy

Townie
@FaithLehane16 First of all why are you laughing at me?!?

@SpikeRocks Yes, I've been asking myself this question for a while because I want to try to be more open. I want to try to understand the meaning.

This time I asked the question., because I dont understand :)

That's the good thing, everyone who sees the series has a different opinion about the actions. But for me I just wonder what is special about the relationship and what it has brought them. What was the crucial point for you? Because I see a lot of drama - please try to bring BAngle closer to me.

Maybe there is something about the relationship and I overlook a certain point. It is also not meant maliciously! Even thought I am a CAngel shipper I would love to understand your point of view. This is NOT an attempt to downplay the relationship. I just want to understand it. No bashing intended!

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
Maybe there is something about the relationship and I overlook a certain point.
It just sounds like you haven't watched I Only Have Eyes For You, Choices, The Prom, both parts of Graduation Day, City Of, I Will Remember You, Sanctuary, Disharmony,, Seasons1&2 of Angel, and Fredless, which makes the forced romance between Angel&Cordelia look like bad writing. There were reasons why Angel left Buffy in Sunnydale. The writers wrote themselves in a corner in Angel Season 3: my least favorite season because of the shitty writing. It also looked like David Boreanaz's heart wasn't into it a lot like Penn Badgley in Season 6 of Gossip Girl.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I tend to like any relationship if it gives me something interesting to watch because I have zero interest in ships or nonsensical ship wars that seem to exist just for the sake of it. I'm not a fan of romance in and of itself. If that was what I was judging the ships in this thread on then I think Darla and Angel wins, but that's also because I prefer Angel's show over Buffy. I feel like Darla had the most impact on Angel pre-Angel ie how he was groomed by a twisted mother into Angelus, how it relates to his shame and guilt, his conflicting feelings over Darla as human and what she did to him while caring for her soul at the same time. I thought it was super interesting and layered.

S
SpikeRocks
Dangel is excellent and very fascinating, I wanted to explore more of it from the past and in the present
S

SpikeRocks

I think it slightly baffling why you want an such a explanation about why those of us love BAngel. I can't imagine there would be some big revelation that would make you suddenly see and feel about them like many of us do.
I don't agree with that....rewatching the series, especially at different points in my life, can and has lead to revelations and changing of feelings (like I used to hate S6 for a very very long time, but now I have a huge appreciation for it and I don't avoid it)....and especially listening to podcasts of people discussing Buffy ep by ep has lead to big revelations and view points I hadn't before picked up on or related to, until I heard someone else express their feelings on it. I don't see why that would be any different or impossible from being involved in discussions here....

I believe it just come down to something in the person that emotional connects to the character/s and story. I certainly can tell you so much about what I adore about them but I can't make you see or feel it mainly because you didn't feel or see it in the beginning.
I do agree with this. It comes down to a gut/emotional connection, but I'm not asking to be changed into a Bangel fan, I know that would never be possible. But I've developed such a knee-jerk "blech" reaction to them as a couple that I'd love to be able to squash that down a bit and find what I'm missing about why people find merit in the relationship. Develop an appreciation.

Even when you said that you like my answer you still felt it necessary to say about not finding them redeeming which makes me feel that you aren't really that open to understanding why people can still love them even with all their issues.
No, that was meant to really qualify my compliment, as in "I openly admit this is a relationship I have never been able to find anything redeeming about, and yours is the first time I've read an explanation for loving Bangel that actually landed as a good explanation, so that's saying something"

Like my little comment to you where you said 'huh?' was me having a little banter but basically saying that I don't find ANYTHING redeeming about Spuffy but know they have their many fans. I just never like it or felt it but that also a lot to do with me not liking Spike as a character in any shape or form especially from BTVS series 4 and onwards and up to ATS series 5.
Yeah, I was confused by your comment.....it took me a while to realize you thought my OTP was Spuffy. I don't have an OTP I'm aware of....I'm a diehard Spike fan, but for me that actually means that no one will ever be good enough for him hahahaha 😂😂😂 It wasn't a bit leap of an assumption tho, it just threw me for a minute and I didn't know what you were talking about. I do participate in Spuffy appreciation, but that's because so much of Spike's story is wrapped up in Buffy's, and I do find a lot that I love about it and where it had the potential to go....and when I'm forced to compare against Bangel, I feel it comes out miles ahead for what it had going for it, so by that account I'm Spuffy and I root for Spuffy. But OTP is not necessarily the way I think of it....I don't think I have an OTP 🤷‍♀️

Like I don't think that Angel and Cordy had anything deeper than Buffy and Angel just because they ended up having a friendship first before feelings grew between them but I can see why others to see it differently.
I have a lot of trouble jumping on board when a relationship comes flying out of nowhere, that hasn't been built from anything...it feels rooted in something superficial rather than a solid relationship foundation. Something real and enduring can grow from that, that's possible, but I haven't found what that "real" is for Bangel like I can see for Cangel.

Last edited by a moderator:

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think my order changes depending on what episode I watch, apart from Angel/Nina, that one is always last

AngelsCordy

Townie
It just sounds like you haven't watched I Only Have Eyes For You, Choices, The Prom, both parts of Graduation Day, City Of, I Will Remember You, Sanctuary, Disharmony,, Seasons1&2 of Angel, and Fredless, which makes the forced romance between Angel&Cordelia look like bad writing. There were reasons why Angel left Buffy in Sunnydale. The writers wrote themselves in a corner in Angel Season 3: my least favorite season because of the shitty writing. It also looked like David Boreanaz's heart wasn't into it a lot like Penn Badgley in Season 6 of Gossip Girl.
I saw both series completely, the only episode I found sad was the Angel episode I Will Remember You :) All the others unfortunately left me cold and gave me nothing that I would chance my mind, unfortunately.

For me it was not bad writing with CAngel - since I thought it feelt more natural in my opinion, since my boyfriend was first friends and than we feel in love.

Which episodes would you recommend to get a better feeling of them?

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
eyeroll.
S
SpikeRocks
Above comment is completely rude

AstridDante

Potential
I appreciate Buffy and Angel for what they were and they did/do/will always love each other but the way they were written I think lacks a bit of depth. It was all head over heels which don’t get me wrong happens however we don’t see much growth or that they really know each other particularly the people they have grown into. I am only talking about the tv shows, I cannot comment on comics. I think Cangel had potential and I do love the friends to lovers trope but it was poorly executed with a lack of chemistry between the actors.

A
AngelsCordy
I for my part like the chemistry between CAngle and I think its in the eye of the beholder :)

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I think myself that Cordy/Angel was wrong & not for the reason that she had been a friend of Buffy .
We all saw the reasons Angel broke up with Buffy & they the same for Cody as well .
Also Angel had said he was totally in love with Buffy & she gave him his life back
& yet two years latter he going out with another girl like Buffy didn't mean anything to him .
The whole thing is hard to swallow .

AstridDante

Potential
I really feel like Buffy and Darla as presented on screen were Angel/Angelus great loves. I think if it had been executed better or if there had been more chemistry between the actors I would have been all for Cordelia and Angel romance. Coming from a hardcore Spuffy

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I think that Angel didn't love Cordy as he said . I mean after all Cordy body had been taken over & he never figured it out ?

AngelsCordy

Townie
I think it is up to the viewer how they judge the events. Everyone has a different judgment of the events in the series which we watched over the years. And I think it's unfair to say that he didn't love her - just because he didn't realize that she wasn't herself.

In other words, shouldn't we say that Buffy could have notice that Angel is no longer Angel? And that he was out of character, and also was mean to her. For example only - Did she loved him less?

Antho

Scooby
I think it is up to the viewer how they judge the events. Everyone has a different judgment of the events in the series which we watched over the years. And I think it's unfair to say that he didn't love her - just because he didn't realize that she wasn't herself.
You contradict yourself here. First you said it’s up to the viewer how they juge events. And then you say it’s unfair if people think Angel doesn’t love Cordelia just because he didn’t realize she wasn’t herself. People think what they want and theirs opinions is based on what they see on screen. There is no question of what is fair or unfair ! It’s just an opinion.

AngelsCordy

Townie
And it was my answer with a counter question. Because opinions differ widely. There was nothing malicious about it. Just a simple counter question.

Antho
Antho
Okay. I misunderstood you sorry
Top Bottom