• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel doesn't remember what its like to be human

DazzaGee

Townie
In season 5 episode 22, Angel says to Harmony that he doesn't remember what its like being human because it's been that long, obviously referring to the fact the last time he was human was over 200 years ago. But in season 1 he becomes human. I know angel is full of contradictions but this one seems quite a major one, why would the writers forget something like that. I'm confused

Stake fodder

Soulless
I think they just weren't counting that, because it was only one day, not enough time to remember all the joys and mundane aspects of being human.

To me, the big contradiction is that he rejected staying human because he felt obliged to regain his vampire powers, yet his greatest wish is to 'win' the Shanshu Prophecy. But if he did, he might still wish he had his powers to help Buffy or whatever comes up.

T
thrasherpix
This is the biggest reason why I pretend the ep where he's human did not happen, just some Bangel fanfic that was accidentally slipped in (and we were all supposed to forget immediately just like Buffy).

DazzaGee

Townie
I think they just weren't counting that, because it was only one day, not enough time to remember all the joys and mundane aspects of being human.

To me, the big contradiction is that he rejected staying human because he felt obliged to regain his vampire powers, yet his greatest wish is to 'win' the Shanshu Prophecy. But if he did, he might still wish he had his powers to help Buffy or whatever comes up.
On your point, I highly agree with you because evil doesn't stop. There will always be the next big bad. So even if he does save the world from an apocalypse and he gets rewarded with humanity, there will be something trying to destroy the world again, then he would no longer have his vampire powers to fight with. Which is the reason he gave up his humanity in the first place

Dogs of Winter

Potential
I dont think that day really counts. Yes he remembers what it is like to eat food and walk in the daylight with Buffy etc but as @Stake fodder said being human is about more than that - it is all the joys and mundane aspects of being human that occur over a lifetime

I never saw that as a contradiction. For me Angel sees the Shanshu prophecy and the chance of becoming human as something he needs to earn, something he may achieve way into the future by merit, but in S1 he doesn't feel worthy of it. At this point he still feels the need to atone for all the wrongs he has done

It is not something he wants to get by chance - he needs to earn it so he can feel worthy of it

Stake fodder

Soulless
I never saw that as a contradiction. For me Angel sees the Shanshu prophecy and the chance of becoming human as something he needs to earn, something he may achieve way into the future by merit, but in S1 he doesn't feel worthy of it. At this point he still feels the need to atone for all the wrongs he has done

It is not something he wants to get by chance - he needs to earn it so he can feel worthy of it
I do agree that he feels he has to earn it, that the Powers that Be or the universe have to tell him that he has atoned enough, and he wants that validation. However, if Angel's been paying attention to his own show, he should know that it seems like there's never an end to "fulfilling one's destiny," and there will always be more evils to be fought. So perhaps I should say, the contradiction is that Angel is maybe not willing to have the PTB tell him that he's finished, even if he wants them to. But we never found out!

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
And no doubt the vampire Angel would refuse being made human, maybe Spike was right referring to him a Capt. Blockhead

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Angel doesn't remember what it's like to be human. That statement is quite correct considering that Angel has never been a human.
When the vampire Angel was a human what was his name?
As a vampire his name was Angel / Angelus.

I can't find it and I can't remember when Angel became human in season 1

Last edited:
Stake fodder
Stake fodder
His human name was Liam.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
@Stake fodder, thanks.

It is a shame that Darla isn't about, she might remember what the human of Angel was like!
Mind you Liam must have been a bit thick, necking with a vampire, it does make traveling much cheaper though!

Btvs fan

Scooby
Angel doesn't remember what it's like to be human. That statement is quite correct considering that Angel has never been a human.
When the vampire Angel was a human what was his name?
As a vampire his name was Angel / Angelus.

I can't find it and I can't remember when Angel became human in season 1
Not true he kept his memories in IWRY

I'm Guessing Joss just forgot about that 1 episode from 5 years ago. He admitted he forgot he'd killed off Warren when he did the comics. This feels like a similar vibe

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya

I dont think that day really counts. Yes he remembers what it is like to eat food and walk in the daylight with Buffy etc but as @Stake fodder said being human is about more than that - it is all the joys and mundane aspects of being human that occur over a lifetime

That's a good point. I think his decision to stay human would have worked better if he had known about the Shanshu Prophecy first. In "I Will Remember You" he thinks that he can't protect Buffy if he's human and that she will die, which she does but not because of anything that has to do with Angel. It's the same thing with the Gem of Amara. Angel wants to earn his humanity and not takes any shortcuts. But he doesn't find out about the Shanshu until the end of season 1.

Antho

Scooby
in fact there is a difference between having what you want directly, for free, without effort or anything .. and working to get it. the satisfaction is not the same. when you work hard and thanks to that at the end of the month you can afford a nice gift. it is a kind of reward for the work done. It's not at all the same feeling when you get everything without having done anything to deserve it.

Top Bottom