• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel & Faith 10.05 "Old Habits" - Released 8/6/14 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Writer: Victor Gischler
Penciller: Derlis Santacruz

Angel is plagued by nightmares and another menace for the streets of London: The new vampires, like the zompires before them, are leaving a trail of victims for the local police and Angel to pursue.

Source: Wikipedia

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Just finished reading this. :)
For a little one-shot I actually enjoyed this more than I thought I would, and it really wasn't what I was expecting.

I was expecting a bit more flashback/Angelus than the few pages we got, which was just simple foreshadowing (although it was well done)
Instead we saw Angel vs. a new vampire, which was a nice simple story, well told.

-Liked the flashback. Angelus seemed nicely in character- as in 'evil bastard', which is always nice to see.

-Brandt coming to Angel for help was nice. Seems like they're shaping him up to be Angel's contact, maybe even a link with the world outside of magic town.

-Yay! Sophia and Lavinia return, and are great, as always. Nice to see them not so easily cowed by what they thought was a simple vampire.

-Yeah, London roadworks- constantly getting in the way of A and B, that's them. :)

- Nice mention of Angel not being ready to call Buffy for help/info. And his guessing at vice versa. He has to let her make the first move I think.

-Shoot the bat! :) I'm not sure why that was funny, except that it might've happened in a cheesy Hammer Horror picture I once saw.

- Boo! No Faith. :( Although I half expected it.
I do hope Faith gets an issue all to herself soon enough. I'm interested to find out about her rescue mission. :)
(Plus the fact that Riley's disappearance has just been mentioned in the Buffy preview)

Solid issue. Nothing spectacular but enjoyable. But what's with those dreams, huh?

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
He has to let her make the first move I think.
Just finished reading this. :)
For a little one-shot I actually enjoyed this more than I thought I would, and it really wasn't what I was expecting.

I was expecting a bit more flashback/Angelus than the few pages we got, which was just simple foreshadowing (although it was well done)
Instead we saw Angel vs. a new vampire, which was a nice simple story, well told.

-Liked the flashback. Angelus seemed nicely in character- as in 'evil bastard', which is always nice to see.

-Brandt coming to Angel for help was nice. Seems like they're shaping him up to be Angel's contact, maybe even a link with the world outside of magic town.

-Yay! Sophia and Lavinia return, and are great, as always. Nice to see them not so easily cowed by what they thought was a simple vampire.

-Yeah, London roadworks- constantly getting in the way of A and B, that's them. :)

-Shoot the bat! :) I'm not sure why that was funny, except that it might've happened in a cheesy Hammer Horror picture I once saw.

Solid issue. Nothing spectacular but enjoyable.
Agreed on all points!

- Nice mention of Angel not being ready to call Buffy for help/info. And his guessing at vice versa. He has to let her make the first move I think.
In retrospect, it seems like a huge oversight from Faith & Giles, not warning Angel about a lethal new threat...

- Boo! No Faith. :( Although I half expected it.
I do hope Faith gets an issue all to herself soon enough. I'm interested to find out about her rescue mission. :)
(Plus the fact that Riley's disappearance has just been mentioned in the Buffy preview)
Could this be the new format? Not sure how I would feel if the book followed just one of them each month...

what's with those dreams, huh?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the exact premise of "Somnambulist" (season 1, episode 11)?

Penn, the protege of Angelus, came into town, and Angel saw his crimes through a psychic connection in his dreams he has with some of the vampires he sired.

On a side-note, I though Jeremy Renner did a great job with Penn, but I never would have guessed he would have been the Angel guest to breakout into a big blockbuster movie star! I would've even guessed Eyal Podell who played Sam Lawson in the WWII, season 5 episode, the other minor "child" of Angel, over Renner :eek:

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I'm wondering if the new rules of magic have caused the Powers to revise how they communicate with their champions, and Angel is now getting visions directly in his dreams rather than going through someone like Doyle or Cordy.

Loved seeing Lavinia use the old flaming-hairspray trick that goes back to the Buffy movie.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
As I remember, Angel is Sonumbulist saw things from Penn's POV- the killing and stalking of the victims, plus he felt the accompanying emotions that when with it (unless Angel's enjoyment was seperate from Penn's...)

These dreams feel a little different, since Angel is remembering his own time as Angelus.

Unless we're seeing him siring somebody- that Nun for instance? That would be an interesting character- formerly religious (I mean really religious like a priest, I don't think we've even seen that) person turned vampire would be fascinating to see.

Otherwise this feels like something different, something more akin to what the First did to Angel. Forcing him to relive scenes from his life (and we know how much Angelus loved covents...)
So perhaps magic of somekind? I'm guessing Amy has plans for him now that he's taken care of Corky the fairy. (Though that sounded like a slur, it wasn't. It's literal truth. :))

As for Faith's arc- the writers might be trying a 'the first arc is mainly Angel's character/plot and so the second arc will mainly focused on Faith plot' type of setup, which I would love.

The rockstar thing was a bit...meh imo, It had some good moments, but Faith in the jungle looking for Riley is a truly great idea with a lot of potential for storytelling- so if we concentrate on that meatier plotline, I'd be happy. :)

But, I'd like to see the two of them back and working together soon though, hopefully when it makes sense and their own plots align with each other..

Last edited:

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
As I remember, Angel is Sonumbulist saw things from Penn's POV- the killing and stalking of the victims, plus he felt the accompanying emotions that when with it (unless Angel's enjoyment was seperate from Penn's...)

These dreams feel a little different, since Angel is remembering his own time as Angelus.
I haven't seen the episode in years, but I believe that in the dream/Penn sequences, David Boreanaz played the vampire. His mind was seeing the events as though Angelus was the perpetrator. That's exactly the case here too.

Unless we're seeing him siring somebody- that Nun for instance? That would be an interesting character- formerly religious (I mean really religious like a priest, I don't think we've even seen that) person turned vampire would be fascinating to see.
Dru sort-of.

Otherwise this feels like something different, something more akin to what the First did to Angel. Forcing him to relive scenes from his life (and we know how much Angelus loved covents...)
So perhaps magic of somekind? I'm guessing Amy has plans for him now that he's taken care of Corky the fairy. (Though that sounded like a slur, it wasn't. It's literal truth. :))

As for Faith's arc- the writers might be trying a 'the first arc is mainly Angel's character/plot and so the second arc will mainly focused on Faith plot' type of setup, which I would love.

The rockstar thing was a bit...meh imo, It had some good moments, but Faith in the jungle looking for Riley is a truly great idea with a lot of potential for storytelling- so if we concentrate on that meatier plotline, I'd be happy. :)

But, I'd like to see the two of them back and working together soon though, hopefully when it makes sense and their own plots align with each other..
Agreed!

Mylie

Scooby
I actually enjoyed this oneshot which surprises me because I usually don't enjoy them much and at first I was really missing the artwork of the first 4 issues but the whole thing turned out to be kind of a standout? I loved the tone and the writing and I thought it made a good job continuity wise. The only thing lacking was Faith not being included but I can handle 1 issue without her, as long as it doesn't become a recurrent thing.

Top Bottom