• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel & Faith 10.08 "Lost & Found, Part III" - Released 11/5/14 (Dark Horse)

angeliclestat

Townie
I really enjoyed this issue. I know it suffered slightly from "middle issue" syndrome, where it appears not a lot happened. But I think on a re read of the whole arc this will work very well. The downside of an arc heavy book with a monthly release is that things can sometimes appear slow. Also it had way more Angel this issue, so that's me happy:)

So let's take it from the beginning:

- Ah the French Revolution! Of course Angelus would have found his way there. I'm sure Darla would not have been too far away. As we saw in China - she loves a good revolution too:)

- As has been discussed already, the policeman appears to be American (New York?), but Angel is in his modern say guise. No indication yet if the "modern" part of his nightmare actually happened, or is just a part of his imagination, but I'm sure we will find out soon.

- Dark Horse whiskey. heh.

- Fantastic likeness of Angel in the first panel of page 4. However no offence to Mr Boreanaz, but I don't think he ever had abs like that!

- Angel's isolation is once again highlighted here. I really want to know what's going on with the drinking. A literal demon in a bottle maybe?

- Nice to see Alasdair again. I was wondering when Angel would pay him a visit on a magical quest.

- "A steampunk spaceship full of talking cockroaches" heh:)

- Hmmmm I wonder what this Najakot is. I'm sure we (and Amy) will be seeing the result of this visit next issue)

- I like how we are starting to see "regulars" at Rory's bar. I recognise some of the demons from past issues.

- Funny how in Magic Town there are no names. Only titles. First we had "The Glassblower", now we have "The Pharmacist". Maybe people are just going by their job titles now:)

- Angel on a rooftop! Oh how my nerdy heart leapt with joy. So season 1 (as is a lot of the comic)!

- The convo between Faith and Sam was nicely handled. I wonder if Faith expected (and wanted) a bigger blow out. But as Sam said - it was before she and Riley met.

- Amy calling the jar of goo "Darling" - that made me giggle:)

- And in one line of dialogue we got confirmation that resurrecting Warren isn't her main agenda. And perhaps she was just using it as bait for her other bigger plan. But maybe she is now starting to think of doing that too? Still no idea what Amy's plan is, except it more than likely involves Willow.

- LOVED the massive purple hands. I actually said "Holy Crap" out loud when I saw them. Really cool.

- Hey Riley! I wonder if there's a chance the writers are going to go to a very dark place on us, and have him vamped already?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Another solid issue- I'm liking this arc more and more as it goes along. I think VG is getting more used to comic-book pacing and therefore each issue either Angel's or Faith's plot moves forward some.

This month it was definitly Angel's turn- there was some great stuff in his arc. The French Revolution flashback (I wonder where Darla was? It would've been nice to see her all dolled up in 17th century garb...) dream thing that morphed into a modern daydream (I'm glad- I was worried they were going to go into the 'Angel's been killing during blackout's' thing that htey did with Spike.)

Another shot of Angel drinking Whiskey- somebody spiking his drink again? I think so. Somebody's always trying to mindf*** with Angel in some way.

We had a return of Alistair, which was nice to see. We need some wise, old, stuffy Brit who knows stuff now that Giles has been 'youthed'. I'm glad Angel has contacts he can go to for advice/resources.

And the final confrontation with Amy- Angel just shrugging his shoulders and basically saying 'Fine, I'm a hypocrit but I'm never gonna bring back Warren'.
(I'm shocked that at least one person on this board implied that Warren could be redeemed. He's one of the most loathsome characters in the Buffy-verse. Andrew won't even ressurect him.)

And then Amy with those cool, 'magic hands', nice. And her villain ranting about how powerful she is (mentioning Willow, who she always compares herself to) whilst tossing Angel around was great. Man, Angel is always the underdog in fights these days...

The Faith stuff was more straightforward. Sam was...okay, and her conversations with Faith were forthright and honest, Faith can't give an end-run apology from anybody other than Riley, but I'm still not sure that's entirely what she's looking for.

Glad Mai (I hope she stays alive and perhaps remains Faith's friend. The woman can count friends on one finger these days.) and the CEO chick are sticking around, and there were a couple of nice vampire deaths by stake, which is much better than dead by shooting.
Other than that pretty standard stuff.

But they do arrive just in time to save Riley. I hope that Faith and him actually get to meet/interact next issue- I want to see some character drama/angst from their reunion.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
A solid middle issue here. Not an awful lot to be said but it kept things moving along nicely. I'm curious to find out what's going on with Angel and the body pile he's accumulating. Not sure if it's just dreams, something from the past, sleepwalking or a preminition. Looking forward to finding out though. I'm also hoping that Amy stays alive long enough so that we can have some crossovers towards the end of the series. Not much to be said about the jungle mission here but definitely agree about the stakings being nice.

(I'm shocked that at least one person on this board implied that Warren could be redeemed. He's one of the most loathsome characters in the Buffy-verse. Andrew won't even ressurect him.)
I think this is refering to me. I should clarify and say that I think that ship has sailed and I'm not 100% convinced it was ever possible, just that I don't beleive he was so different to Faith in terms of evilness.

Honestly, I just don't see, on any level, how Faith is anything like Warren in terms of evil.

Warren murdered Katrina (after the actual attempted rape), framed Buffy for it (with Jonathan and Andrew's assistance). Betrayed both his friends, tried to murder Buffy and Xander. Did murder Tara (even if it is an accident his intent at Buffy's house was to kill) and felt really good about all of it afterwards.

When Dark Willow came for him he felt fear, and not an ounce of regret.

After he was 'ressurected' or whatever by Amy he willing sided with Twilight to take revenge on Willow and murder countless slayers. He even seemed to be a terrible boyfriend to Amy but whatever, she can have him.

Most importantly Warren had never shown the slightest hint of any regret for the countless bad things that he did. From S6 right through to S8 he's just a wretched human being, and Amy's no slouch in the evil department either.

Many people on these boards consider Warren to be the most evil Big Bad out there, because there's just no justification for anything he did. No magic, no demon-ness, no lack of soul and no mind control/possesion. Warren just is.
Faith tried to frame Buffy for the manslaughter of the assistant Mayor. Faith tried to torture and murder Buffy. She assaulted Xander and was in the process of choking him. We can't be sure if she was going to rape, torture or murder him as she was interrupted but I wouldn't rule any or all of them out. Then we have the person she murdered for The Mayor. The countless people she beat senseless in her Season 4 / Season 1 arcs. Trying to kill Angel. Trying to destroy Sunnydale and her treatment of Riley. She was also in full possession of her soul and nothing is different between then and now. She was like that through choice.

My point being that Faith had people bending over backwards to help her and she eventually sorted herself out. If you switched around the intervention teams maybe Warren would have sorted himself out as well. If Willow had flayed Faith after her rampage then she would have went out in the same light that everyone sees Warren in. If Angel had interrupted one or two of Warrens evil acts maybe he could have had a redemption arc.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Yeah, if you don't mind I think I might transfer this to a seperate thread more sutible for debate. :)

janas

Bangel in the soul
I think this is refering to me. I should clarify and say that I think that ship has sailed and I'm not 100% convinced it was ever possible, just that I don't beleive he was so different to Faith in terms of evilness.
I disagree, strongly disagree.

Faith has always acted out for grief, for anger, for abandonment syndrome, for solitude. If I had to associate Faith with another character, this would certainly be Connor.

Warren instead which excuse did he have? He was acting always and only for own perverse pleasure personal.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I liked that they included a flashback in this issue. And loved the cockroach line.

Hey Riley! I wonder if there's a chance the writers are going to go to a very dark place on us, and have him vamped already?
I thought the exact same thing, but I hope not.

I can see the Faith-Warren parallels, but at the same time, even when the deputy mayor happens, Faith does feel regret. She just pushes her feelings away and chooses not to feel them. But they're there. And even in this issue we see her regret about Riley.

Top Bottom