• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel & Faith 10.10 "Lost & Found, Part V" - Released 1/07/15 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Writer: Victor Gischler Penciller: Will Conrad

While Faith fights the newest breed of vampires to save Riley, she's shocked when she discovers the identity of their illustrious leader . . . Then, in London, Angel calls in a favor to deal with Amy's trap!

Source: Wikipedia

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I...actually haven't got a lot to say about this issue.
I thought I would- I saw lots of 'OMG!'s all over the place but really that's all about the set-up for the NEXT arc of the season, which I'll address separately.

First the Angel stuff felt...anti-climactic in a major way. Angel has to stop Amy, but he isn't powerful enough- that's not unusual, Angel is the underdog a lot of the time in theses conflicts- so he has to somehow outsmart his opponents.
Or, in this case, ask his friend to wrap things up in about two pages.o_O

I mean, I liked the scene okay, Nadira is an interesting- and obviously very powerful- character (I can't wait to see what Faith makes of her) with an somewhat creepy vibe about her. And her shrugging off Amy's 'magic trap' and transforming Amy back into a rat was impressive, Amy could return one day, maybe even later in the season to square off with Willow properly.
But coming right after the 'magic sucking demon' it just seemed like Angel was just a guy bringing bigger and bigger guns to fight Amy until somebody else entirely had to do it.
Add to that Amy didn't have a plan afterall- certainly not a good one that I could see beyond 'get Angel to bring Willow to Magic Town- and I was left a little underwhelmed by the whole arc.

The Faith resolution was better because she actually seemed to, y'know, do stuff to solve her problems, whilst Riley and co helped out. She didn't feel overshadowed by anybody.

But Faith, Mai, Riley and Sam taking on a tribe of vampires and then escaping just made me feel that the tribe were kind of lame to begin with, as vampires go. Deepscan should take af day to clean that nest out- tops.

The CEO guy and his daughter was an okay relationship/bit of drama, and I'm pleased that she killed him in the end but that's about it, moving on.

I expected a bit more from the Faith/Riley conversation. He says that her apologising is more about her, which I get, but its still means something right? Telling somebody yo're sorry that you used/hurt them.
I hope the suggestion that Riley made that Faith should actually apologise to Buffy means that the two slayers will be meeting up again soon. I hope we're going to see a crossover; Willow/Amy, Buffy/Faith and a few other interactions that I've been looking forward to for a long while now.

I also noted what Riley said about what Faith did to him. He said that he felt 'like a chump', like he'd been tricked. Not used or violated, and certainly not raped- but duped. I hope that settles that for a lot of people. If we can't take the guy's own word for about how he felt after the event then I give up.

And like that Faith gets a job offer from the new CEO to become head of security in their magic town branch. It's a nice set-up- perhaps Deepscan isn't for Faith either- and I look forward to seeing how she handles yet another new job. Let's hope for seeing Faith in a business suit again. :D

*SPOILERS*

But holy crap that last page! Fred is back. Yes! I am very pleased with this, I don't consider this a resurrection at all because I never felt that Illyria/Fred's storyline was properly explored before it was concluded.
After what happened in the Deeper Well I absolutely wanted to see her again because she has interesting stories to tell. So next arc we're going to have Angel, the returning Faith, Fred/Illyria and most likely K'oh- sounds like the beginnings of a new AI to me. :)
Add in Nadira (who I'm not sure about) and Alistair (who now has some pure magic up his sleeve) and things are getting really interesting in Magic Town.

I do hope so- 'United' seems to have a strong set-up for exploring future stories- but I still want to know who's giving Angel those dreams, and if Fred's reappearance is random or something more deliberate.
Can't wait for the next issue. :)

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Well that appearance on the last page was certainly a wow moment for me. Interested to see how that plays out. The rest of it was fairly straight forward problem solving but enjoyable enough.

I stand by everything I said about the Faith / Riley incident though. I'm glad he's moved on, I'm glad she apologised and I think his suggestion of apologising to Buffy now some time has passed is a good idea as well. None of that changes what happened though and my description in other threads was accurate.

HyperionWitch

Townie
First the Angel stuff felt...anti-climactic in a major way. Angel has to stop Amy, but he isn't powerful enough- that's not unusual, Angel is the underdog a lot of the time in theses conflicts- so he has to somehow outsmart his opponents.
Or, in this case, ask his friend to wrap things up in about two pages.o_O

I mean, I liked the scene okay, Nadira is an interesting- and obviously very powerful- character (I can't wait to see what Faith makes of her) with an somewhat creepy vibe about her. And her shrugging off Amy's 'magic trap' and transforming Amy back into a rat was impressive, Amy could return one day, maybe even later in the season to square off with Willow properly.
But coming right after the 'magic sucking demon' it just seemed like Angel was just a guy bringing bigger and bigger guns to fight Amy until somebody else entirely had to do it.
Add to that Amy didn't have a plan afterall- certainly not a good one that I could see beyond 'get Angel to bring Willow to Magic Town- and I was left a little underwhelmed by the whole arc.
It wasn't the worst, but I'm hoping that as Nadira didn't seem to actually kill Amy or anything, just stuck her back as a rat again, I'm hoping that if they're going to play her as a bad gal going forward, they either use this as buildup for a larger Amy focused arc either in A&F or Buffy, or since they've gone to the trouble of integrating her in with Angel and Faith of all people, perhaps look towards some sort of redemption style arc for the character. If they can have Faith and Riley get over or move past events of season 4, and somehow find a way to bring Fred back from the dead, having the original vampire with a soul and the dark Slayer work to redeem Amy Madison wouldn't seem outlandish, and it might be fun to see a witch helping out the good guys that comes off as a bit more grey in nature then Willow.

As she's just a supporting character, simply leaving her a rat permanently and forgetting about the character or maybe implying she was killed off in an "off screen" event would be easy, but IMO it would be a cheap waste of an established character.

That and from a purely business/financial standpoint, attracting new readers/fans to the comics, I would think keeping around a known character who physically appeared in one of the tv series would probably attract more attention and sale more comic copies then some redemption arc or something about say Pearl and Nash or some other comic specific character(s).

gite63

Gone
Sineya
As she's just a supporting character, simply leaving her a rat permanently and forgetting about the character or maybe implying she was killed off in an "off screen" event would be easy, but IMO it would be a cheap waste of an established character.
I'm not a big fan of Amy, but I agree that leaving her a rat permanently is not cool (and it has already been done on BtVS). The character deserves a better story.

H
HyperionWitch
[No message]

HyperionWitch

Townie
I'm not a big fan of Amy, but I agree that leaving her a rat permanently is not cool (and it has already been done on BtVS). The character deserves a better story.
I liked her few portrayals in the early seasons, and while it was nice to see her get a bit of an arc in the final two seasons, in some ways I kind of felt sorry for her in her later showings. Not to excuse or whitewash her actions away, but from the perspective of the tv show, not counting the whole love spell incident, about the most intentionally violent thing she really did on screen was kinetically toss Kennedy across a room at UC Sunnydale.

Even in the comics, she's never seemed to be the top bad person, more a minion or flunky if anything, and does seem willing at least a couple of times to work with the Scoobies or someone, if only to help ensure her own survival. She strikes me as less of Big Bad or evil for the sake of it, and more a case of mentally messed up and not having an outlet or support to pull her back from the brink. In a lot of ways, and this is something I've discussed elsewhere with others, I kind of see her as a sort of Witch version of Faith. Faith was the outcast who didn't really fit in or seem interested/able to make connections, unlike Buffy who had a support team behind her. Amy had her mom joyride around in her body like a rich guy playing with a BMW, got blackmailed by Xander, was nearly burned at the stake, about one of the worst possible ways that I can think of for anyone to die, and something that sadly still happens to some people in real life, spent three years on ice as a rat, and shortly after being turned human again, the one person who seemed to want anything at all to do with her told her to sod off. Rewatching "Wrecked" and "Doublemeat Palace" again, I got the sense that she was doing what she did less out of a case or desire for evil or violence, and more a case of she legitimately thought she was helping Willow or at least she didn't think that what she was doing was intentionally hurting her.

Heck, half the problems we've seen from her in the comics could have just as easily been avoided/reduced in scale had the Scoobies went to her and checked a few other people prior to Sunnyhell collapsing and simply told them that if they didn't want or couldn't help the Scoobies for whatever reason, if they valued their lives they'd probably want to get out of town before things hit the fan.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I really enjoyed this issue. At first I thought maybe Nadira was working with Amy somehow to get Willow to London, so I was pleasantly surprised that she came to the "trap" instead. LOVED turning Amy back into a rat. I am also intrigued by what Nadira says about the magick becoming alive. Makes me wonder if it will take human form at some point in the future, which could be interesting.

Also I actually liked the interaction between Faith & Riley when she tries to apologize. I think it gave me a new perspective on WHY Riley would be upset about what Faith did - the idea that he thought he was getting Buffy back and that turned out not to be true. Also liked what he said about it being about Faith, not him. I actually more and more think Riley is a good guy and would have been good for Buffy, and it's a shame that didn't work out.

I admit to being surprised (in a good way) when Reese staked her father. I was kind of looking at parallels when reading this between William when he was first turned and Walt, each wanting to turn their loved one.

Also I'm intrigued by what they're going to do with Fred.

I didn't like the after school special thing with the couple and Nadira, though. I don't need a comic preaching so blatantly lol

But Faith, Mai, Riley and Sam taking on a tribe of vampires and then escaping just made me feel that the tribe were kind of lame to begin with, as vampires go. Deepscan should take af day to clean that nest out- tops.
Well, the way I see it, those were all brand new vamps, so they shouldn't have been very hard to overpower.

So next arc we're going to have Angel, the returning Faith, Fred/Illyria and most likely K'oh- sounds like the beginnings of a new AI to me. :)
Add in Nadira (who I'm not sure about) and Alistair (who now has some pure magic up his sleeve) and things are getting really interesting in Magic Town.
I would LOVE to see this happen.

:)

Top Bottom