• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel & Faith 10.11 "United, Part I" - Released 2/04/15 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Writer: Victor Gischler
Penciller: Will Conrad

Faith Lehane returns to London! Long missing from the scene in Magic Town, the Slayer is back and ready for action—which is going to come as a surprise to her old evil-fighting teammate, Angel . . .

Source: Wikipedia

Kaleidoscope

Townie
I enjoyed this issue very much. Fred's death and soul destruction was a storyline I always hated, so yay, Fred - one of my favourite characters returns ! I sort of feel that the story starts here and if they could work in Gunn and Connor, I would be very pleased as well. I've missed Angel Investigations and with the drawing together of both story threads, it's beginning to feel a bit more familiar.

janas

Bangel in the soul
I'm so glad that Fred is back, but Illyria is still inside her ...so I cannot wait to know what happens. I was moved by their embrace and I hope Fred still remains, forever would be ideal. If they have to bring together the old AI, this is the perfect time to do it. I know that will not happen but Angel, Connor, Fred, Gunn and Faith, would be just perfect.

white avenger

white avenger
Maybe Fred and Illyria will be like Ben and Glory, swapping back and forth like a superhero and his secret identity.

Silverspike

Scooby
I suspect so. Nothings really new when it comes to ideas for the verse anymore.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
This was probably the best issue so far this season in many respects. A lot of the character interplay is actually interesting and spot-on. Fred looks and sounds like Fred, nice to see Angel acting truly concerned for her, Faith sounds like Faith and all the new characters this issue are starting to get their own voices. The Aunts, Nadira, even Brandt.

- Still love Giles aunts- their characters are so strongly placed in my mind now, they only need a page or so of dialogue and I'm loving the idea of them 'rooming' with Faith. Though I get why she wouldn't want that exactly.

- The Fred stuff is intriguing. She remembers all of what Illyria did, like she was a ghost haunting her- it actually makes Wesley at the end of s5 all the more poiniant. And Illyria is still inside Fred and Fred is trying to fight her off- drama, this is good stuff.

-K'oh has about two pages and he's...still kinda awesome. Effortlessly beating up some 'dishonourable' punks and then turning up at Nadira's place at the end he still makes his presence felt.

- Faith back in magic town had so many noteworthy parts; its clear that the job is a temp thing- so Faith is still finding her way, she came back to magic town for personal reasons, liked her taking down the earth demon the smart way- with a water hose. :)
Her meeting with Brandt was very in-character. I still don't trust him (he's way too chummy but I'm suspicious that way) and Faith was very wary of his compliments about her- she acted likehe was trying to hit on her which is a very true Faith-reaction, she's also dismissive about how 'important/well-known' she is.

Faith/Nadira was good/heartfelt. Faith apologising for leaving and Nadira being insightful about Faith's burden of guilt- I'm still not sure if she's to be trusted but their meeting seemed genuine to me.

- Faith and Angel awkward meeting. Ha, this time Faith and Angel DO hug. Aw, they really missed each other. I thought this was really sweet. :)

-Turns out that Fred knows who K'oh is, which means that Illyria knew/knows him as well, and I bet only Illyria has the answers he seeks. Nice bit of character conflict coming up.
Very strong start to this arc that has tons of potential- this might be where the comic truly hits its stride. 
I suspect so. Nothings really new when it comes to ideas for the verse anymore.
Giant Dawn, Twilight, The Seed, Robo-Buffy, Zompires, Magic Town, the New Book Of Magic, are all major new/original in-verse things that the comics have introduced.

Original isn't always good- its how its untilised that counts.

angeliclestat

Townie
I thought this was a really good beginning to the new arc. There were a couple of very important plot points laid down that I think will have some bearing on the rest of this season:

- This issue confirms that the magic in Magic Town is very separate to the "new magic" created by the seed. And this sentient magic is trying to remain separate, and it is trying to keep the new magic out from this part of London. The new magic has spread across the globe, but cannot penetrate Magic Town. I have a feeling that this Magic Town magic is going to get very protective of its turf...with quite devastating consequences.

- It definitely *is* Fred - Angel would know her scent. So Dr Sparrow really did lie. Fred's soul wasn't destroyed and some of her remained in Illyria, so much so that she can remember bits of what happened with Illyria. Fred is a little like Angel now - she has a demon inside her who is trying to get out.

- I thought the reunion between Angel and Faith was really well done. The awkwardness followed by the genuine hug. (Angel can hug when he really wants to!). I really like the friendship between the two of them. I know it got a bit strained at the end of last season, so much so that Faith didn't contact Angel about being in London for a bit. But I hope that this season builds on this friendship (and not turn it into any other kind of "ship" *ahem*)

- Oh Nadira. Why do I not trust you? Why do I think that when the sh*t hits the fan and the Magic Town magic turns malevolent you will be on its side.

- Koh! I really like Koh actually and I am looking forward to seeing him interact with Angel. Angel always bonded with fellow warriors (except Groo, but that was petty jealousy). Though if Koh's mission clashes with Angel's then sparks will fly.

- My theory is that Illyria being Koh's jailer is a massive red herring and it is going to be someone completely unexpected. I foresee a clash with Koh and Angel/Faith over protecting Fred at first, but I hope they all work together.

- I also liked that they reiterated the fact that most of the "demons" in magic town are really mutated humans. Humans who really do not want to stay that way. There are some (like Corky) who thrived in their new guises, but most people will want to be turned back. I wonder will we see any progress on that this season?

- Art was great, as usual. Conrad took a bit of time to nail Fred though. There were some panels where it was an excellent likeness, but others not so much. I'm sure that will improve over time.

-Gah - another month's wait now http://*********.com/showthread.php/images/smilies/frown.gif

fredandwesfan

Townie
FRED IS ALIVE!!!! OMG I only found out about the last issue a few days ago. So it's for real?! AWESOME! I'm sorry but that makes me really. Fred and Wesley are my favorite couple and I've always wished they weren't killed off in the show. And now, she's back!!!!!! Hopefully it's for real, but it looks like it is. I'm hoping this might lead to Wesley coming back. He already has once as a ghost, and now that Fred is alive, that ending to his arc is a bit off. Maybe Fred and Wes can come back and things might get a little more like the tv show? Joss has said several times that he killed them both because of the abrupt ending to the series, maybe the comics can slowly change that. If Phil Coulson can come back, I'd say anything's possible. Anyway, excited.

Silverspike

Scooby
"Giant Dawn, Twilight, The Seed, Robo-Buffy, Zompires, Magic Town, the New Book Of Magic, are all major new/original in-verse things that the comics have introduced."

And nearly all pathetic ideas imo. And in the case of Dawn, and the whole magic book thing, truly embarrassing.

thetopher

Sineya
Yes, but your point was bsically 'no new ideas in the Buffy-verse' which is patently untrue- as I just proved. In actual fact the comics are really at their best when they expand on things built from the tv show.
But I guess if they did that you'd say that they were being 'unoriginal'. :rolleyes:

Silverspike

Scooby
Oh come off it. They're not new ideas, they're just ripped from countless other shows/books.

But again, thats not the main issue I have with these 'rags' It's more that the writing is often sub parr compared to the TV show and very quickly runs into the embarrassing crap area as far as I'm concerned.

I mean dear god can you imagine If the comics had come first? Would BTVS and Angel be so well regarded by critics and attracted such a big fanbase that would last so long. I'm guessing not.

thetopher

Sineya
Oh come off it. They're not new ideas, they're just ripped from countless other shows/books.
Well in that case there are no new ideas ever. Buffy certainly isn't a new idea. *gasp* A superheroine? A teenage superheroine? Buffy is simply cribbed from horror movie cliches and the X-Men's Kitty Pryde. Joss has admitted as much.
It's not the idea it what you do with the idea- any good writer worth his salt knows this.

But again, thats not the main issue I have with these 'rags' It's more that the writing is often sub parr compared to the TV show and very quickly runs into the embarrassing crap area as far as I'm concerned.
Maybe with Buffy but not A&F- it's actually got pretty good writing comparable with S1 of Angel.
And since this thread is about this particular A&F issue, maybe you can take your endless bile about the comics and put it somewhere else other than the specific thread about this issues?

I mean dear god can you imagine If the comics had come first? Would BTVS and Angel be so well regarded by critics and attracted such a big fanbase that would last so long. I'm guessing not.
Completely irrelevent comment. It didn't happen. Besides Buffy failed as a movie idea remember? Because of the execution of that idea. And then it got rebooted as a tv show and became a cult success- life is funny and unpredictable that way. ;)

Silverspike

Scooby
"It's not the idea it what you do with the idea- any good writer worth his salt knows this."

Duh....Now tell us something we don't know. :D

"Because of the execution of that idea:

Gosh really?????

Well imo the execution in the comics was sub parr too, sorry If that doesn't fit into your view of the franchise.

thetopher

Sineya

Silverspike

Scooby
"oft-repeated opinion."

Well that puts us even then when it comes to your repeated 'views' of a certain blonde vampire then. :D

thetopher

Sineya
There's a real chemistry between you two :p
Toxic or explosive? :)

Well that puts us even then when it comes to your repeated 'views' of a certain blonde vampire then. :D
Oh, I'm just getting started, trust me. :D

Oh I wouldn't need weapons. :D
Wow, you have the macho posturing sorted at least...good for you.

I'll just leave it by saying that I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent. ;)

Top Bottom