• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel & Faith 10.11 "United, Part I" - Released 2/04/15 (Dark Horse)

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Toxic or explosive?
I think it's more like this memorable scene from Season 2.

CORDELIA
I can't believe I'm stuck here
spending what are probably my last
moments on earth with you!

XANDER
I hope these are my last moments!
Three more seconds of you and I'm
gonna-

CORDELIA
You're gonna what? Coward!

XANDER
Moron!

CORDELIA
I hate you!

XANDER
I hate you!

A beat. They FALL INTO A KISS.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Now that I've actually read this I can talk about the issue and not our very own BB 'ship!

So first off I enjoyed it and thought it was a nice strong start to a new arc. I think the bit that stands out to me as having the most potential is the competing magic of the London and the rest of the world. Plenty of room for good development here, with the potential for a big cross over at the end of the Season.

I liked Koh's introduction. He came across really well in only a couple of pages. I'm kind of hoping that when I get round to re-reading the comic series that the new characters will be better second time round after becoming more familiar with them. Quick mention of my laughing at jet lagged Faith. This is me every morning before work.

Fred/Illyria looks like an interesting battle that could draw all sorts of people and casualties. Angel will try to save Fred, others might want to kill her to stop Illyria returning.

It did get me thinking though. Has Illyria actually killed anyone since she took Fred's body? If she has should we expect Fred to feel guilty about it since it's her body and she can remember it?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
It did get me thinking though. Has Illyria actually killed anyone since she took Fred's body? If she has should we expect Fred to feel guilty about it since it's her body and she can remember it?
Actually I don't think so. Illyria was mostly focussed on getting to her army when she first 'awoke'. After she discovered that her army and dreams of conquest were dust she lost focus and kinda aimlessly hung around W&H.
She did throw Angel off a skyscraper once, and hit Spike a bunch of times- but the only person she actually killed was Vale after he killed Wesley. I can't see her being too torn up about that.
She might feel guilt about other things though- not being able to save Wesley for example, or just seeing him so heartbroken/miserable over her death. Also I just remembered AtF, if that's canon then events therer might be referenced during this arc.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Yeah I was thinking to myself how's Fred going to feel about all the damage done by Illyria and then I tried to put same names to the damage and came up with nothing. She kills the team in the time hopping episode but that gets smoothed over. After the Fall is definitely canon but again that gets sent back to before anyone is killed. Other than that Illyria is either indifferent or helping the humans. Mostly talking about how great she used to be.

For the record I don't think Fred should feel any guilt for something that isn't her fault anyway. That argument does get made a lot though, that if it's your body and you can remember it then you should feel guilty.

fredandwesfan

Townie
Yeah I was thinking to myself how's Fred going to feel about all the damage done by Illyria and then I tried to put same names to the damage and came up with nothing. She kills the team in the time hopping episode but that gets smoothed over. After the Fall is definitely canon but again that gets sent back to before anyone is killed. Other than that Illyria is either indifferent or helping the humans. Mostly talking about how great she used to be.

For the record I don't think Fred should feel any guilt for something that isn't her fault anyway. That argument does get made a lot though, that if it's your body and you can remember it then you should feel guilty.
This makes her more relatable with Angel. I'm glad they're not just bringing back Fred as a treat to the fans, and her story is actually being shaped by the things she remembers in Illyria's body. That's very interesting and could add a lot of depth and growth to her character. I don't want her around just because, actually I do, but it's good that she and Illyria have that conflict because that's what the original season 6 was going to have.

Plus, every time a dead character is brought back, they're usually reinvented in some way (Spike, Giles). In order to translate better in the comics, she'll have to do a bit more than be sexy and nervously talk all the time. XD

angeliclestat

Townie
I have reached "A Hole in the World" and "Shells" in my (current) re-watch and a line that Illyria says early on in Shells struck me as relevant to the current situation.

Wesley tries to reason with Illyria, saying how the world is overrun with humans and to go back to her "sleep death". Illyria replies:

"You seek to save what's rotted through. This carcass is bound to me. I could not change that if I cared to"

Is that why Illyria is still within Fred's body, even though it was destroyed in the Deeper Well. Is she really bound to it, and there is no way to separate them?

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I agree with thetopher that this is the best issue this season so far. Things are starting to move now.

The aunts and Faith at the beginning were hilarious! I also loved the Faith-Nadira reunion. Also love Koh, so I love that he's here with this group.

Hmm are we doing an Illyria/Angelus parallel with this storyline? And are we setting up a Brandt-Faith thing here?

I'm not hoping for this, but I wonder if we're paralleling Nadira and Willow and the whole losing control of magick/letting it change you thing?

That is an EXCELLENT point. Because, my first inclination is no. Different when it's a sweet girl, eh? :D

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
That is an EXCELLENT point. Because, my first inclination is no. Different when it's a sweet girl, eh?
This is an old one. Glad to see my insights stand the test of time :). I must have been discussing Hyena Xander or one of the soulled vamps on another thread at the time.

Top Bottom