• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel & Faith 10.13 "United, Part III" - Released 4/01/15 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Angel and Faith join forces in an attempt to save Fred and keep the powerful goddess Illyria from taking over. Without Illyria present, the honor-bound demon Koh may never discover who slayed his family and imprisoned him . . . a devastating reality for this unlikely hero.

Source: Wikipedia

angeliclestat

Townie
I liked this issue. Not sure why Will Conrad was not the artist though. I like Richard's work, but it just feels weird to change artist like this in the middle of an arc - especially if Conrad is back next issue. Conrad was in the solicitations for this and the next, and no explanation has been given for his absence in this issue. Strange.

I was initially a bit confused by Illyria's characterisation - why the return to her old ways? It is possible that in the reset in the Deeper Well that led to Fred's return, that any influence that Fred or the gang had had on Illyria was obliterated. What we are seeing now is the original Illyria that we met in Shells - arrogant, fully demonic and back to her "I am a God, hear me roar" ways.

Also did anyone pick up on the line of Illyria's to Angel "This body is stronger. I no longer need to tolerate you". Maybe being infused by the power in the Deeper Well really has affected Illyria. Not only is the reconstituted Fred's body stronger, she seems to have her full strength back.

Not much else going on with the rest of the characters this issue, but I really liked the action and the further complications of Fred and Illyria's return.

Kaleidoscope

Townie
How the writer goes with Illyria's story will depend on whether I enjoy this arc.' Bow down before me' Illyria is less interesting to me than the Illyria we had in After the Fall, for instance, so I'm hoping to see a bit more light and shade in later issues. Perhaps exploring whether Illyria and Frted can reach any sort of accomodation together and whether they will influence each other. Still, it is early days still and maybe reset Illyria is a good starting point for a sharing the same body storyline ?

white avenger

white avenger
Just my first impression, since I've only had time to glance at a few pages between errands, is, if the artist isn't going to at least try to depict the characters' (actor's) actual features, he should make them wear labels. Four brunettes in a room together, and they all look so similar that it's hard to figure out who is saying what to whom.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Just got this and it was a pretty solid issue- nice establishment of Koh through his interactions with Nadira. That was definitly the highlight.

The weakest part was probably the art, none of the characters really looked like themselves- it was difficult to tell Faith and Fred apart when they were in the same panels together.
Although I will say that the artist did a better job with Illyria than how she was depicted in S9.

Also it was a bit of a cheat not having Angel and Koh fight after the cliffhanger last issue, but I suppose it was better for the overall story that Angel made Koh realise what he was doing was ultimately self-destructive. It gives the guy more depth.

Things that I liked:

Angel's continued protectiveness of Fred was very in-character

Faith's idea of using science to investigate Fred's 'condition' was actually smart, even if it didn't end well. I liked the reference to Fred being head of science division of W&H.

Faith the high school dropout telling Angel 'See? Science is our friend.' :)

The talk between Nadira and Koh on the nature of vengeance was good, especially since this theme has been covered extensively on both shows. She brought a fresh perspective to the nature of it.

Illyria's return was nicely handled. The forces of magic town really don't like her.

Faith vs. Illyria went about how you'd expect. Ouch.

And another potential smackdown cliffhanger, as Illyria tells Koh the truth. Interesting.

All in all a nice build-up to the climax next issue.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I do love Fred & Faith as roommates lol

I liked that Koh exhibited control - that really brings out that strict adherence to his Yataro code that is keeping him on his path to vengeance.

I thought there was a good sense of the build up of tension in this issue. Looking forward to the Koh-Illyria stuff next issue.

Top Bottom