• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel & Faith 9.25 "What You Want, Not What You Need, Pt 5" - Released 8/28/13

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Millions of lives hang in the balance, and Angel and Faith just might be on the losing end of this battle. It's times like these that call for drastic measures - How far will they go to save the world? Lives are lost, heroes are born, and as one chapter ends, another begins...

Source: Wikipedia

white avenger

white avenger
I haven't read this yet, but am I correct in believing that Issue #25 is the finale in both "Angel & Faith" and "Buffy?" It just seems like there are a lot of loose threads in both series right now to be able to believably tie them all up in just one issue each. But, then, I've been wrong three or four times in my life before (five if you count that month that I shipped Bangel, but that's a story all in itself) I guess I COULD be due for another mistake.

Just please, PLEASE, no Season end cliffhangers. I positively despise those.

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
Yeah both are the finale issues

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Kinda similar to WA I wasn't expecting them to wrap it all up in one issue, but they did a good job.

Couple of the lines didn't sound like Angel, mostly that one when he comes to Giles and Faith and tells them they should all rest, I just couldn't imagine Angel saying that speech bubble.

But it was a good issue, like always seems to happen in the comics the battles always seem less grand, just cuz it's not possible to match the scale of the show, but they had a good balance of tying up the bad guys, explaining whistler, setting up the bad guy for next series and the future of Faith and Angel.

Its sch a pity their separating, it completely makes sense for their characters, and this was a great issue for them, I love the Brother/Sister type bond they have and that Faith has a friend she trusts, and Angel also has a friend who trusts him, But their series has been so strong, it's a pity to separate them.

I'm looking forward to find out whats happening with Nadira, I haven't liked her character too much but interesting to see what her turning into will mean for slayers.

I imagine the next issue of Buffy will end with Giles coming back, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that will play out next season. I'm glad it's pointing towards fixing Buffy and Giles relationship, but man if that wasn't a smack right to Faiths face. I was surprised but also revealed, that Giles isn't holding a grudge against Angel, smart man that Giles (and it's already been done).

I'm guessing next season there's a possibility we'll have a Buffy season 10, Angel series and Faith series? I hope they aim Buffys one around Buffy, Giles, Willow and Xander (and Dawn), Bring in Angels crew to Angel and explore the slayer world more through Faith.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
I thought Giles' line to Faith about being at his best with Buffy was awfully harsh but I think maybe we are supposed to chalk it up to him being a prepubescent boy right now.

Is he going to America to find Buffy so she can be his legal guardian now? How many levels of creeped out is Buffy going to be about that? After she gets over the shock of Giles being alive at all.

I felt like an awful lot of this issue was exposition, which I suppose it had to be since they wasted 3 issues on a battle and needed to wrap it all up. I'm encouraged with where Angel's story is going but I just really hope it sticks this time. I feel like I've seen Angel resolve a lot of these feelings before only for them to be thrown out the window in the following season. If I have one wish for next season is that Angel is given the room to really grow and not be stuck in the fail-redeem cycle he's been on for the last few years. I'm sad to see Giles go, I always feel like when he is around we often see some of the best of Angel.

Comic Fan on BR has a theory that something is going to happen with Xander and that he will end up staying in London with Angel next season. I think that would make for some amazing stories. In a way I think it makes perfect sense because Xander has messed up in a massive way this season, he's betrayed those closest to him and inadvertently led the way for an end of the world situation, it's not a million miles away from Angel and Twilight. Angel could be for Xander what Faith was for him.

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Comic Fan on BR has a theory that something is going to happen with Xander and that he will end up staying in London with Angel next season. I think that would make for some amazing stories. In a way I think it makes perfect sense because Xander has messed up in a massive way this season, he's betrayed those closest to him and inadvertently led the way for an end of the world situation, it's not a million miles away from Angel and Twilight. Angel could be for Xander what Faith was for him.

I would approve of that story!

I like the idea of the core gang being together, but they are at such odds at the moment, it wont be easy. Taking Xander out would make it a lot easier, they could mend Buffy and Willows friendship which has been in worse shape then Buffy and Xander, it also be easier to get Dawn back into the fight and bring Giles back into the mix. And if Dawn disappears, it would also make sense he'd want some time away.

Also it's about time Xander gets held accountable for something, and seeing him and Angel interact would be interesting, I'd love for Cordy to come up!

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
Also it's about time Xander gets held accountable for something, and seeing him and Angel interact would be interesting, I'd love for Cordy to come up!

Gah! That would be too perfect for words!

Though, my guess is that Fred's soul is taking her body back and she could end up in London too.

I feel like the original characters (Buffy, Giles, Willow, Xander and Angel) are kind of putting themselves back together again but doing it in little teams or stages. I think they have to do this work away from each other so they can all come back as a functioning unit again. By doing it this way they end up vouching for each other. Like, Giles vouched for Faith, she vouched for Angel and so on, and it ends up that they are all connected to each other again. (I'm dreaming big here ;))

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Gah! That would be too perfect for words!

Though, my guess is that Fred's soul is taking her body back and she could end up in London too.

I liked seeing her mix with the scoobies, but she does need to be back with the others, Angels gang is so fractured they're a harder one to just bring together, it's basically Angel, Illyria and Gunn and I guess Connor, I'd say Spike will move between the comics. They can't just keep him on Buffy unless they wanna put them together, which I dont think they'll do, and I can't see him getting his own comic, but he can be a supporting character to Buffy, Angel and Faith.

I feel like the original characters (Buffy, Giles, Willow, Xander and Angel) are kind of putting themselves back together again but doing it in little teams or stages. I think they have to do this work away from each other so they can all come back as a functioning unit again. By doing it this way they end up vouching for each other. Like, Giles vouched for Faith, she vouched for Angel and so on, and it ends up that they are all connected to each other again. (I'm dreaming big here ;))

This makes sense, and given the shortness of comics, seems the most logical, I just hope the writers are thinking about it logically!

white avenger

white avenger
I have a sneaking feeling that Buffy and the Scoobies as a team are a thing of the past, though we might, someday, see a reunion. If Faith really is leaving Angel, I, personally, would love to see her team up with Buffy, at least for a few months/ I've always thought that they were better as a team than as adversaries, and I think that Faith has proved herself sufficiently by now to earn Buffy's trust, even if it is tentative. They will always be the Chosen Two, the last Slayers to actually be Called rather than just activated by a witch's spell, and there should be some sort of appropriate bond between them.

And, if Spike were to somehow get tossed into the mixture, things could become very interesting.

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
I felt like an awful lot of this issue was exposition, which I suppose it had to be since they wasted 3 issues on a battle and needed to wrap it all up. I'm encouraged with where Angel's story is going but I just really hope it sticks this time. I feel like I've seen Angel resolve a lot of these feelings before only for them to be thrown out the window in the following season.
I know a lot of TV/Film writers say this style of exposition smacks of lack of talent, but: firstly, I disagree with that sentiment in general; and secondly I loved it because that's classic Angel! In season 5, Lindsey even mocks Angel for his preachy-ness.

As I felt from the time of launch, Angel as a character is the only one who really has a seamless transition into this medium. Heck, I remember back when they first created the Angel spinoff, I think it was David Greenwalt who said that they were approaching Angel like more of a classic superhero than Buffy.

You look at the AS2 episode "Redefinition," and that was basically a noir-styled comic.

If I have one wish for next season is that Angel is given the room to really grow and not be stuck in the fail-redeem cycle he's been on for the last few years. I'm sad to see Giles go, I always feel like when he is around we often see some of the best of Angel.

I remember the Angel/Xander team-up suggestion back when Angel was still on the WB. I really like the idea, but I do think it's time to bring back Gunn, Illyria, Wesley, and possibly Connor. I don't care what anyone says, I don't buy Wesley being dead-dead. From an in-universe POV, it makes no sense for W&H to release him from his contract. From a real world POV, Joss has said on multiple occasions that he never planned on keeping Wesley dead if Angel picked back up.

Couple of the lines didn't sound like Angel, mostly that one when he comes to Giles and Faith and tells them they should all rest, I just couldn't imagine Angel saying that speech bubble.
How about Giles saying, "and what with being dead and all..."

I suppose you can argue his new found youth, but I cannot imagine him phrasing his words like that. Ever.

Screen_Shot_2013_08_28_at_10_53_20_PM.png

I'm guessing next season there's a possibility we'll have a Buffy season 10, Angel series and Faith series? I hope they aim Buffys one around Buffy, Giles, Willow and Xander (and Dawn), Bring in Angels crew to Angel and explore the slayer world more through Faith.
That might be great. One caveat I'll give is in no way is Faith a strong enough character in this medium for a solo series. Heck Buffy isn't strong enough to standalone in the Buffy series, nor is Angel in his.

The obvious choice for a Faith pairing would be Robin Wood. I wouldn't be surprised by Spike or Andrew either--possibly even Connor. All of the above wouldn't be out of the question either.

Last edited:

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
How about Giles saying, "and what with being dead and all..."

I suppose you can argue his new found youth, but I cannot imagine him phrasing his words like that. Ever.

Yeah there was something about that entire hospital scene that the dialog was off, its the first time in any of the comics I thought the dialogue was so far from what the characters would say

That might be great. One caveat I'll give is in no way is Faith a strong enough character in this medium for a solo series. Heck Buffy isn't strong enough to standalone in the Buffy series, nor is Angel in his.

The obvious choice for a Faith pairing would be Robin Wood. I wouldn't be surprised by Spike or Andrew either--possibly even Connor. All of the above wouldn't be out of the question either.

You think? I can kinda see your point, but I dont think there's many people that dont like Faith, she's always been the most likely for her own spin off when the series was on the air.
I think your right that she might need someone else to tie her into the verse more, although I dont think Robin would be a strong candidate since they'll all but abandoned his character.
She could work with Angels crew, she fit in with them and they need a new leader. They'd have to relocate to London to get back with Angel, which seems odd, but I guess Angel could ask them for help in policing Demon Town.

Spike seems like the obvious boring choice since he seems to have to be in every series, but he is the most likely since it doesn't seem like they know what else to do with him he doesn't really fit into any of the series. I'm not mad on them together, I think they'd do more damage to each other and undo some of their development - actually that probably means they are the most likely, Faith seemed pissed at the end of the issue, she could go down a path of being mad at everyone, pissed at Giles, pissed at Buffy for being the favorite, Spike would fit in with her.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
At this point, I don't know why Giles couldn't just tell the world the truth: he's really 50-something Rupert Giles, who died and was brought back to life as a 12-year-old boy. It's obvious by the end of this story that the whole world is well aware of magic now; there are several people who can attest to who Giles is; and DNA testing could prove conclusively that it's him.

Hard to tell what they're going to do with season 10. There are seeds for at least four or five different series, but I just don't think Joss will have the time for even minimal involvement with more than one or two. Unless he plans to delegate somebody else as "showrunner," I don't think we'll get much more than that.

If I had my way, season 10 would have three main titles:

1. A main Buffy book featuring the Core Four, probably with Spike, Dawn (if she makes it) and Lil' Giles.

2. A new Angel Investigations book, based in London, with Angel, Gunn, Connor, Fred/Illyria (sharing the same body), Lavinia and Sophronia, and Alasdair Coames as their magical consultant.

3. A straight-up team adventure book focusing on Kennedy and Faith and the Slayer black ops team, with various past Slayers from season 8 and earlier joining in.

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
I like the sound of the Faith/Kennedy one!

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
You think? I can kinda see your point, but I dont think there's many people that dont like Faith, she's always been the most likely for her own spin off when the series was on the air.
I meant more that the few Buffyverse comics with only one series lead have been pretty bad reading. Not because of the characters so much as the format. Character-wise, I always though "Anne" and "Redefinition" were interesting episodes, and in them the protagonist mostly stood alone.

With the comics, I just don't like Buffy being isolated from her friends.

I think your right that she might need someone else to tie her into the verse more, although I dont think Robin would be a strong candidate since they'll all but abandoned his character.
That's true, but that's also why I think he's a possibility--Joss won't have to "lose" someone from Buffy's playground.

She could work with Angels crew, she fit in with them and they need a new leader. They'd have to relocate to London to get back with Angel, which seems odd, but I guess Angel could ask them for help in policing Demon Town.
Did you watch "Static Shock" as a kid? I was tickled by this being the same premise as that show :p ...big accident gives ordinary citizens superpowers, and the hero has to deal with them.

Spike seems like the obvious boring choice since he seems to have to be in every series, but he is the most likely since it doesn't seem like they know what else to do with him he doesn't really fit into any of the series. I'm not mad on them together, I think they'd do more damage to each other and undo some of their development - actually that probably means they are the most likely, Faith seemed pissed at the end of the issue, she could go down a path of being mad at everyone, pissed at Giles, pissed at Buffy for being the favorite, Spike would fit in with her.
It will be interesting to see where Spike lands. Considering Spike's standalone series apparently haven't been selling well, it's likely he'll keep floating, or get paired with Faith...

Hale Caesar

Sunnydale Nerd
This finale is very "meh" to me. I'm kind of sick that the comics has become a whole bunch of super-powered mutants, it doesn't feel like the show, I would prefer if they told smaller stories like back in season 1 and 2. I hope in season 10 we see the Angel bring back his ensemble cast, Gunn, Illyria, Connor, and maybe Gwen Raiden

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
This finale is very "meh" to me. I'm kind of sick that the comics has become a whole bunch of super-powered mutants, it doesn't feel like the show
Well Joss opened that can or worms when he made vampires part of pop culture in BS8...

Frankly, I thought Brian Lynch handled the subject with much more grace, having people who believe, the majority calling it "mass hysteria," and Hollywood capitalizing on it as more a money-making enterprise than promotion of real vampires...

Anya2012

Floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
I loved the Angel/Faith series, much better than Buffy season 9. I would love to see Buffy's reaction to Giles being alive and a 12 year old boy. It would be priceless.

Xin Rong

Killed by Dissertation
I loved the Angel/Faith series, much better than Buffy season 9. I would love to see Buffy's reaction to Giles being alive and a 12 year old boy. It would be priceless.

It would be more interesting if tween Giles had the same reaction to his sudo-daughter that he did to his slightly less sudo-daughter faith?

Top Bottom