1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Angel & Faith In Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by white avenger, Nov 27, 2015.

1. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

(This is inspired by Joshua's thread about an "Angel & Faith" spin off based on the Dark Horse comics)

Assume for the sake of this question that Faith never turned dark, helped Buffy and the Scoobies defeat the Mayor, and then, realizing that the Hellmouth was Buffy's territory, moved to L A with Angel. Do you think that that would have worked as a series?

2. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I haven't read A&F so I'm not sure about the dynamic there. But as a show, I personally think Faith would be best suited for a show of her own. Less team base like BtVS and AtS, and maybe something more like Supernatural in format, where Faith travels the country and fights demons. I just don't really see s3 Faith as much of a team player, she had too much growth to do, and it would have been nice to see a different path than Buffy or Angel, it would have been a bit redundant to have yet another character from Buffy move on to Angel (Faith truly worked best as a guest star on both shows). In Faith's case, less is more, but I wouldn't have minded a show of her own. But to permanently go on Angel, meh, I'm not sure if I would have liked that.

gite63: "In Faith's case, less is more" - exactly!
  3. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    Let's check what Faith's roles have been explored:
    • Faith as Angel's temporary replacement. (AtS S4)
    • Faith as Angel's watcher. (A&F S9)
    • Faith as an individual contractor. (A&F S10)
    • Faith as Angel's sidekick. (A&F S10)
    I see if Faith has never turned dark, and keeps her own personal traits, none of the roles above would be very possible without an extra massive plot turn. If we don't use plot turn to change her characteristics, this would lead to only a few possibilities:
    • Faith the Vampire Slayer. Go away, Angel.
    • Faith and Angel learning how to cooperate. Seems quite boring to me.

4. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

That was pretty much what Eliza was offered after the Season 7 "Buffy" finale, and, regretfully, she chose to do "Tru Calling" instead. I've often wondered whether or not she regretted her choice, given T C's lack of success.

5. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    The comics proved beyond a doubt that an Angel & Faith show could be AWESOME. Granted, it would be better if it was just 'Faith, the series', but they'd probably need Angel to attract viewers...

Priceless likes this.
  6. Priceless

Priceless I am now

Re-reading the comics now has made me think a Faith and Angel show would have been great. They work really well together and are very compatible and there are a lot of stories still to be told about them. But I wouldn't want Faith and Cordelia on the show with Angel. I think they would be too similar to co-exist and their personalities would have to change, so I'd prefer Cordy to stay on Buffy

Buffy Summers likes this.
  7. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Really? I think Cordy and Faith can be very interesting in one show. They're both very confident, strong personalities, but Faith comes from a very poor home, while Cordy comes from a very rich home, and their dynamic could be fascinating.

8. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I think they are too similar, at least to start with. Both speak their minds, both are confident and both demanding. I prefer to see different character types trying to work together and interact, so Faith/Fred would work and we know Cordy/Fred works. That's why Buffy/Willow works so well, one confident one shy.

It would work for me if there was conflict in the relationships, two similare personalities clashing, but Faith doesn't turn bad in this scenario so I'm not sure where the conflict would come from.

9. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    But they DO have a lot of differences, and they definitely clashed more than once. Queen Cordy disapproved of Faith's "trashiness", and Faith has a hidden insecurity which Cordy does NOT have, and Faith was more of a one-night-stand girl while Cordy was not, etc...

Faith's relationship with Cordy could be similiar to her relationship with Sophronia and Lavinia, at first, and then change into more interesting things as the two of them learn and grow. I think it could be great.

10. Priceless

Priceless I am now

The best thing about Faith was her redemptive arc, and without that, there is just a 'trashy' slayer who lacks depth. And we already have S1 Cordy, who lacks depth. Their stories would be too similar and I think they would be just like Sophronia and Lavinia; interchangeable. I hated what the writers did to Cordy and I'd hate to see them do the same to Faith. If Faith is not trying to make amends for past crimes, I don't know where her story would go.

11. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    1) Cordy is like Lavinia and Sophronia. Faith is a very different kind of chracter from them. So Cordy and Faith could never be interchangable, IMO.
    2) I think that Faith could still be interesting without going dark and being redeemed, but it'd definitely be LESS powerful than what we got. Honestly, the best bet would be to cancel 'Angel', and launch 'Faith' AFTER Faith's redemption arc - as in, after season 4 of Buffy.

Priceless likes this.
  12. Benz

Benz Potential

If they did this then Cordelia would 100% stayed on Buffy!.

I would not want Cordelia and Faith becoming frineds as I always like how Cordelia dislike Faith at first sight.

13. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Ah, but they don't need to be friends to be on the same show. Buffy and Cordy were never really friends, and they were on the same show, and it worked great - Cordy was a foil for Buffy. She could be the same for Faith.

14. Benz

Benz Potential

No Buffy and Cordelia were frineds in my book!.

They were not frineds in season 1 of course but I do think by half way during season 2 they were frineds.

Buffy Summers likes this.
  15. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Well, they learned to get along, but I don't think they ever considered each other to be friends, or at least not close friends. I think Willow got closer to Cordy than Buffy ever did, which is interesting.

Anyway, back to the point - Cordy could be on Faith's show without being her friend, just like she was on season 1 of Buffy without being Buffy's friend. ANd maybe over time Cordy could become closer to Faith, like she got closer to Buffy, and that could be cool too.

16. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

One of my favorite Cordelia moments in Buffy is where she bluffs Lyle Gorch into thinking she's the Slayer to save Buffy (*). If Cordelia would do that for someone she didn't like (and who was even competing with her), then she's a lot more noble in BTVS than I give her credit for.

(* She'd later bluff the drug-addled Angel, which is interesting in how good the character is at bluffing but can't act.)

Guy: Well, by season 3 of BtVS, Cordy WAS pretty noble.
    Fuffy Baith likes this.