• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel Rewatch: 1.09 Hero

telperion66

Potential
'Hero' always made me cry when I watched it the first few times at the end, when the episode reprises Doyle's sales pitch of Angel Investigations to Cordelia behind the camera. The first time he does it its hilarious; the second time they show it when Angel and Cordelia are mourning his death it comes across as so poignant.

Doyle's death scene was a heroic moment. Him passing over the visions to Cordelia was momentous as well.

Other than that, its still a "monster of the week" episode with the Scourge. I'd give it 6.9 out of 10.

Funniest part is Cordelia's breath spray attack on the demons during their initial encounter :)

Btvs fan

Scooby
The begining and end scenes are fantastic. The rest of it in between is 🙈
Angel fights Nazis except when the plot needs those Nazis to magically disappear because of plot reasons 😕

Like I said the Start and end scenes are truly fantastic and given an extra pathos given what happens to Glen Quinn in real life but it doesn't excuse the rest of the episode in between imo

Side note but killing his character off long term, would really help the show. Cordy would fit into his role as Angel friend/companion and actually give her a reason to be on Ats

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
This entire episode is brilliant and I'm not just saying that to be different :p

While it's true that the standout moments are the beginning and the end (and arguably the beginning only becomes standout because of the end) the in-between stuff is better than most other MOTW stories.
  • The Scourge was a much bigger threat then the usual MOTW - much like the Mohra from I Will Remember You - which helps raise the stakes even more than if this was just another Ronald Meltzer.
  • We get actual background on one of the main characters, which always sets an episode apart from regular MOTW.
  • The scene where Doyle and Cordelia are sitting on the steps outside the office is completely underrated - they talk about trust and being honest with one another, about Harry and Angel's 'adventure' in IWRY and Doyle nearly confesses his demon self to her before a vision ruins it. It's a beautiful scene.
  • It later becomes important when Cordelia, having discovered Doyle's secret in another way, confronts him and we get another great scene that shows how far Cordelia has come. Of course, this one is, too, interrupted :(
If there was anything weak in this (and I don't think there is) it might be Angel's solo stuff when hunting down the Scourge. But I think that only becomes a little weaker on re-watches because it plays out like the exposition it's disguised as. On a first time through it's still as important as everything else.

Anyway, this is a straight up 8 maybe 8.5/10 for me!

DagonSphere

Potential
"Too Bad, We Will Never Know If This Is A Face You Could Have Learned To Love."

Angel , the show, does such a great job at giving characters, a final heartbreaking moment, when it kills them off. For only having been in nine episodes, it is amazing how emotionally resonant Doyle's death scene is to this day.

The Scourge were sort of cool and creepy monsters of the week, though I must admit that when I first watched the episode back in the day, I didn't realize that they were basically just demon nazis. Oh silly naive, 13-year old me. I still find them effectively creepy, but I also wonder how they can run around LA unnoticed, because they're not just A monster hiding in the shadows, they're an ARMY of monsters, walking around quite freely. And for having such a gigantic part in this episode and for being so effective, I think that the show should have followed up on them and not just have them disappear at the end of the episode due to convenience.

I was sad to see Doyle go. He had great energy. I’m pretty sure they had to fire him because of a drug problem which eventually took his life. I guess Angel can only fight fictional demons.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Why is there all of this regret that Doyle had to go? He was one of the worst villains in the show. If he hadn't kissed Cordelia, she might have been the only human survivor of Angel Investigations. Passing on the visions to her sealed her fate - she was either going to die of the visions or have to become demonic to survive them, something I am sure he would have known. She never even had the opportunity to get in the limo at the end of Season 4 - she could have refused (although I doubt she would have) and the legacy of Doyle is demonic possession by Jasmine and an alliance with the beast and Lilah might have still been around for Season 5.

Bad Doyle!

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Why is there all of this regret that Doyle had to go? He was one of the worst villains in the show. If he hadn't kissed Cordelia, she might have been the only human survivor of Angel Investigations. Passing on the visions to her sealed her fate - she was either going to die of the visions or have to become demonic to survive them, something I am sure he would have known. She never even had the opportunity to get in the limo at the end of Season 4 - she could have refused (although I doubt she would have) and the legacy of Doyle is demonic possession by Jasmine and an alliance with the beast and Lilah might have still been around for Season 5.

Bad Doyle!
I think I've been down this route with you before, so I'll repeat myself :)

Doyle could very well have had no idea what happened when he kissed her, that could easily have been the Powers intervening. So calling him a villain just doesn't make any sense. No more than Xander being a villain because he called Sweet to town and Sweet killed a bunch of people. Is Xander responsible? Sure, at least partly. But, is he a villain?

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I don't recall mentioning this before nor have I seen anyone else mention it. I am not too sure of the Powers That Be - they seem more like the fates than the good guys. I think that even if Doyle didn't deliberately "infect" Cordelia with the visions but if there was a law that applied to supernatural effects, he would at least be charged with reckless endangerment. It could be that he didn't know - but he had no expression of surprise when that happened.

I have mentioned that I believe Xander was covering for Dawn because she had Sweet's talisman on her. Maybe she should have learned that shoplifting doesn't pay.

Puppet
Puppet
When what happened? The audience are the only people who saw that blue light...
Bop
Bop
Dawn stole the talisman after Sweet had been summoned so that can’t be
Top Bottom