• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Angel Rewatch: 1.16 The Ring

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Unlike Something Blue, this isn't an engagement ring.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Unlike Something Blue, this isn't an engagement ring.

The episode was basically Angel does Spartacus (Gladiator hadn't come out yet) .
I enjoyed it. It was a fun episode, it also introduced Lilah and made her a bit more enigmatic (though that idea is swiftly killed and she's a 1 d villain until the Wes relationship) than she would be through the rest of the show.

All in all 7/10 a fun enjoyable episode that's not as bad as you think it would be

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
One of the most criminally underrated episodes of S1, if you ask me.
  • Introduces Lilah Morgan in all her classy, evil glory
  • Has some of the best Cordelia/Wesley banter so far, along with both being smart and figuring out everything without Angel's help
  • Human villains, something AtS does really well even if rarely (not counting the law firm, of course)
  • Angel having to struggle with doing something he can live with, since adding more guilt to his soul is not fun
  • The whole concept of the ring was not only a great concept, but it was also done great, with none of it making me go 'potential not fulfilled' as I tend to do often with unique ideas like this in TV
Really, it's just a great episode, probably one of my favorites from this season (but I keep saying that, don't I?) :p

Rating: 8/!0

telperion66
telperion66
That's the beauty of both Buffy and Angel, we all like the different episodes for different reasons!

white avenger

white avenger
The modern day underground gladiatorial games theme has been done in just about every variation over the years, so, nothing really unique there. Just a way to once more establish how good a fighter Angel has become. The thing that actually is unique to this one was the idea of a horse hair lock pick. That is major eye roller material.

telperion66

Potential
Douglas Roberts does well in this episode as the main bad guy.

Not as much humour in this episode as most of the other season one outings.

Lilah represents Wolfram & Hart well in this episode. The highlight of 'The Ring' is when her and Angel have their scene after she temporarily "frees" him, but then he decides to go back. At least he got to drink champagne!

All in all, the episode is a reasonably well told story for what it is, but it didn't do a great deal for me in terms of depth, excitement or watchability.

6.9/10 :cool:

Puppet
Puppet
And yet I find this to be one of the funniest of the season...
Top Bottom