1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Angel season four appreciation

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Wesley Pryce, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Wesley Pryce

Wesley Pryce Angel Investigations

Black Thorn
    Tell me the things you love about this controversial season of Angel. With all of the hate for this season I wanted to create a place where fans of it can focus on the more positive aspects of year four. So please try saying something nice or walk away :p I will be doing a similar thread for Buffy season six soon. get busy Have fun!

Joshua and Fuffy Baith like this.
  2. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Season 4 is my favorite season of Angel. Does it have problems? Sure but all seasons of Angel have problems but none of them are as epic or ambitious as S4.
    Huge, unstoppable rock-demon, Wesley/Lilah, Angelus in a cage, Dark Wes in action, Faith, Faith and Willow, Gwen Raiden, blotting out the sun/eternal night, Gunn's best episode 'Players', the Wesley/Gunn/Fred thing coming to a head, Spin The Bottle, Skip turning out to be a badguy getting his ass kicked (and dying) after being all smug, Jasmine's plan being really complex but also actually making sense.

Plus 'Orpheus' is imo one of the best, most entertaining episodes Angel ever produced.

The only bits I don't care for are Cordy's devolvment into sub-par villain, her ick-fest with Connor, and some of the Jasmine stuff,

3. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    - FAITH!
    - Wesley is suddenly a really cool rogue demon hunter.
    - Wesley and Faith have the BEST chemistry.
    - Fred is a badass in the beginning and end of the season.
    - Gunn finally gets an arc that has nothing to do with the lame "Ghetto" stereotypes.
    - Lilah finally becomes head of W&H, as she deserves, and it's glorious.
    - Willow gets to be all awesome and adorable.
    - Willow/Fred 4ever!
    - The Beast was badass, with a terrific makeup job.
    - Gina Torres is a fantastic actress.
    - Spin the Bottle. Brilliance.
    - Connor gets punched a lot.
    - The mid-season apocalypse was a great, fascinating idea. Great way to shake things up.
    - The best season finale of AtS.
    - FAITH!

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  4. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Season 4 is either my 2nd or 3rd favorite season. There's a lot of really good episodes, or at least episodes that I like. About half of the season episodes. I like dark Wes and his relationship with the gang. I like The Beast, even though I don't really like how that storyline played out. I really liked Gwen and wish we got more of her. Angelus mostly worked for me. Especially interacting with Faith. And Faith is amazing and awesome and is shown as the badass slayer that she is. I love that Wes introduces her as "Faith, the vampire slayer". Faith kicking Connors butt was great. Fred is pretty much great. I like the last episode Home.

I agree, I'd say is one of the he best of both Angel and Buffy. I love Willow! I love the "mind walk" in Angel's had with Faith and Angelus. A lot of great lines of dialogue in this! I just love it. Lol.

thetopher likes this.
  5. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Squeak

Black Thorn
    "Slayer? The band?"

"I'll take away your bucket..."

Skip

Faith

Willow

Every second of Spin the Bottle

Geobubbles, Fuffy Baith and Guy like this.
  6. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

I actually liked s4! Yeah Connor and Cordy were icky, but the flow from s3 to s4 was well done and made a lot of sense.
    Jasmine may actually be the scariest villain on AtS because she appears as peace on earth. Her deception was so believable that hell, she almost had me buying into it.
    Faith comes in and kicks Angelus's ass. That was awesome!
    Wesley/Lilah are always great
    Fred being the one to figure out the Jasmine thing first
    Gwen<3

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  7. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul Scooby

S4 is my second fave Season after S2. Lots to love and like but you can't avoid the badness either (like all TV has). There is Faith, Willow, Orpheus, Gwen, Lilah, brainy Fred the Beast, Wesley becoming even darker, Spin The Bottle, the concept of Jasmine and her plan (different from the execution).

The bad is of course Cordy/Connor, Cordevil, watered down Angelus who isn't even given one kill because now Angel is the show lead, the love triangles.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  8. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I'll get back to this post later. Just noticed that I posted on the wrong place... Never happened before. Sorry if I confused someone...
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 30, 2017 ---
    Season 4 is my third favorite Angel season (2>1>4>5>3).
    I think this season only has a few obvious weaknesses that interfere considerably with our enjoyment of it. Every episode is sullied by the presence of Cordelia and/or the sappiness of the love triangles. The Angelus arc is weakened by Angelus himself and the writing for the character. Apart from that, the season is great. It's truly more enjoyable as a whole since most episodes are bad in parts due to the aforementioned weaknesses of the s4.

As a whole, season 4 is intense, and after the lighthearted season 3, goes back to the initial mission and to Angel's basic conflict of duty vs. personal happiness. In season 2, Darla and Angel's redemption got in the way of him being a champion, and this season, Connor and Cordelia, as well as his hopes and dreams for both of them, get in the way of Angel noticing that: Cordy was possessed and playing them, The Beast was being controlled, a very dark power was about to rise in L.A.
    I very much love Angel's arc though and it's my favorite part of the season. Angel goes back to being a compelling, complex character and the disservice to his character in season 3.
    In Deep Down, Angel's broken and toxic after visions of the happy family he knew, deep down (huh, I made a pun), that he couldn't have. The Angelus arc puts things in perspective for Angel since Angelus shows him what he failed to notice, and he starts being the champion the world needs: uncovering Cordelia, trying to kill Jasdelia, etc. During the Jasmine arc, Angel focuses only on saving everyone from "world peace", putting his son on hold and forgetting about Cordelia, and in Home, he finally gives Connor the family he dreamed about having and offers Connor his HEA. Over the course of the season, Angel manages to save the world and then take care of his son effectively, solving his conflict of interests without nearly losing it like in season 2. (We have to remember that a lot of season 4 happened in a very short period of time, so it didn't take Angel months to pull himself together like in season 2.)
    It's a defining season for Angel, because it informs us of the Angel we see in season 5 and even in the comics (if you read them). His arc in season 4 is basically the last one. It's when he becomes a hardened champion who, nevertheless, puts his son first and loves the people he saves.

I also find Angel and Connor's conflict interesting. It's a different approach to screwed up father/son relationships. The badness of the Angel/Cordy/Connor triangle and the fact that Angel didn't raise Connor makes this relationship very original. Connor grew up without Angel and was brained-washed into thinking that Angel was Angelus. However, Angel had no time to adjust to this after getting back a grown son who hated him. The relationship is deeply inequal. Angel doesn't know how to cope with his son's problems and hatred of him, because he didn't see them being developed, and Connor has 18 years of hating his dad on his belt and didn't grow up around humans (Holtz doesn't count). They are bound not to understand one another and have nothing to compare their relationship to, yet Liam's own experience with his father is similar. Connor and Angel still have the typical father and son issues which makes them relatable while being insanely more complex and messed up than most TV relationships.

More things I loved:

- I love Wesley's arc. Wesley underwent the same arc Angel did in season 2. He came in contact with his dark side, was annihilated from his friends, got involved with the wrong woman - the one he didn't love - and then was slowly integrated back in the group. In season 2, Wes forgives Angel first and lets him work as an employee, and in season 4, Angel first forgives Wes and lets him back in the group (Fred forgives Wes first perhaps but Angel is the one who needs to forgive anything). The difference between Angel and Wes is that Wes doesn't apologize or try to make nice with everyone else. He does dump Lilah because he knows which is the right side to be on, which brings me to Weslah. The best relationship in all of Ats is hands down Lilah and Wesley. They have great chemistry, are played by great actors and have some great writing to boost. Their scenes improve all the episodes. The journey of the relationship which coincided with Lilah's own journey and death was one of the best parts of the season.

- I know a lot of people don't like the Jasmine arc, but I personally loved it. It was a great take on an old topic: free will vs. world peace at the cost of free will. Jasmine was an excellent villain overall and that arc was a reprieve from the Jasdelia overload of the rest of the season. Jasmine's arc is one of the best and most original of the Whedonverse.

- Lastly, I have to mention Faith. Faith is awesome. Don't have anything else to say... I love her friendship with Angel and that the show explored how her rehabilitation would work out in real life given that she's a slayer and meant to kill things. Plus, she had great chemistry with Wes and they got each other.

Other things I loved:
    - Lilah in general, but, in particular, her death scene in Calvary, Wes' hallucination of her in Salvage and her final scenes in Home.
    - Darla's wonderful appearance to Connor in Inside Out.
    - Deep Down, Slouching Toward Bethlehem, Calvary/Salvage, Orpheus, Inside Out, The Magic Bullet, Home. (These are the episodes I loved the most.)
    - Fred in the Jasmine arc.
    - Gunn's small arc.
    - The end of the love triangles started in season 3.
    - Lorne, Lorne and Fred's friendship and Lorne and Angel's friendship.
    - All of Home. It's too brilliant to just be mentioned once.
    - The Beast.
    - The tempo of the season and how dark it was.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  9. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    Oh season 4. :D
    Definitely my favourite season of the Buffyverse, and I know it's a bit odd to list it as the best. But it does stuff to me. I love it. I think in direct comparison to the concurrent Buffy S7, it just craps all over it. It has passion and love and grand ideas, betrayal and tragedy and old faces returning. It has this bright centre of sureness that S7 didn't have. I thought the actors gave their best performances in this season (minus CC who looks like she fell out with the show lol) and overall it's a joy to watch. It changes gears quickly and tonally it can be all over the place, but it's a charming hot mess. Trash with depth, as I call it.

10. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    Season 4 is a weird one for me, in that I have a kind of love-hate relationship with it, unlike any other season.
    For all it's flaws, I do love season 4. The scale of it is pretty stunning; maybe the closest they got to something silver screen. It's a wild ride and I don't think I was ever bored. The development for quite a few characters is very good: Wesley, Faith, Gunn, Fred and Lilah all have really great arcs.
    The Beast was a genuinely intimidating bad guy and Angelus is always fun.
    I wasn't a massive fan of the Jasmine story line, but I appreciate what they tried. I also think a lot of its problems stem from how they tried to make it out to be this gigantamundo conspiracy that spanned the whole verse... if they'd cut all that stuff out, it might not have been so head scratchy.

11. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I've posted here already, but I recently wrote another appreciation post on Tumblr which would be fitting here. There's never too much season 4 appreciation!

Reasons Why Season 4 of Angel Is a Masterpiece

1. It’s cohesive. Season 4 is arguably the best constructed season of Angel. The Beast connects to Jasdelia which leads to Jasmine. Some of these plots started in season 3 and season 4 continued with them. This season has a bigger scheme and the show works up towards it little by little without many filler or monster of the week episodes.

2. It’s operatic and intense. Unlike season 3, which is bland, this season is exciting, nuanced, original, fast paced. Almost every episode is necessary and the season never lets up in intensity. You can feel the momentum build.

3. Angel. Angel’s in a bad place this season and makes a lot of mistakes, particularly with Connor. However, seeing how his summer under water affected and poisoned him with thoughts of family and happiness, his journey is definitely interesting. Angel’s arc consists of him learning to let go of his ideal perfect family and instead giving that ideal family to his son. See Deep Down, where he hallucinates a perfect family with Connor, Cordelia and the rest of the gang, versus Home, where he looks in on Connor having dinner with his human family. Season 4 is about Angel letting go, the hard way, of the things he thought were within reach in season 3. It’s a bit disheartening, but complex and compelling. Angel also proves to be the real deal in the champion department by facing Jasmine.

4. Wesley. Wesley’s arc started mid-season 3 with him kidnapping Connor. This season is about mending the past and forging a new identity for himself. Dark, gritty and addictive, his arc is one of the best arcs I’ve ever seen.

5. Weslah. Arguably the best written relationship of the series, Wesley and Lilah’s brief affair was full of angst and unexpected tenderness. Home was a beautiful swan song. “Flames weren’t be eternal if they actually consumed anything. But it means something that you tried.”.

6. Faith. The second part of her AtS arc is as amazing as the first part. After leaving prison, Faith proves her loyalty to Angel by not giving up on him. Wesley and Angelus, for different reasons, try to bring her to the edge of darkness but she resists. She learns how to be a fighter without being a killer, and how to use her power. Salvage/Release/Orpheus are highlights of the season, particularly Orpheus where Faith and Angel’s BROTP is strong.

7. Orpheus. One of the best episodes of the season, Orpheus is insightful and surprisingly funny (”Dude, you rescued a puppy.”). We see Angel’s origins and the mistakes he atones for, which brings us to the heart of Angel’s redemptive journey. Like Angel says, “Out time is never up Faith. We pay for everything.”.

8. Jasmine. Jasmine is an unusual villain. She’s a thought provoking villain who challenges our heroes in ways they had never been challenged before. Is peace worth the price it costs? Free will vs. perfect happiness? There’s no right or wrong and the team makes a flawed decision that even makes W&H proud.

9. Home. One of the best season finales ever, Home is full of memorable moments for all the characters, particularly Lilah, Angel and Connor. Angel and Connor’s conversation at the mall is heartbreaking and powerful. (”You let them take me.” *cries forever*)

10. The overall theme. This season goes back to the overall theme of the show. Like Angel says, “Nothing in the world is the way it oughta be. It’s harsh, and cruel, but that’s why there’s us. Champions. Doesn’t matter where we come from or even if we make a difference. You live as the world should be to prove what it can be.”. This speech works similarly as Angel’s “If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do.”.

MarlieTheSlayer and Bluebird like this.
  12. Smile Time

Smile Time Fuffy Apologist

Sineya
    You have Gwen, Faith and Willow.

Not too impressed by this season...they killed off Lilah and possessed Cordy has a thing with Connor.

13. dcai0830

dcai0830 You spent three weeks moaning in a basement!

Black Thorn
    I kinda like Season 4, especially the part where they killed CANGEL (insert evil laugh). Season 3 was the worst, I was glad to see Angel back in brood/badass/kicking butt form.

GraceK likes this.
  14. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy BFF of Sour Patch Kid

Sineya
    I really only like the 6 episodes of season 4 during the Angelus storyline. Plus there's Faith and Willow.

15. Antho

Antho Scooby

So you hate the rest of the season ?

16. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy BFF of Sour Patch Kid

Sineya
    I don't hate it. There is some good and some bad. It's just not great overall.

17. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

I appreciate Season 4 because of the Angel/Connor dynamic. I love Connor and find his story heartbreaking. I also enjoy seeing Faith. Most of the episodes are written to have a great ending, with a big reveal or a shock, and that works really well to make you want to watch the next episode straight away. Season 4 is definitely one to binge watch.

Carrie Hopewell and Mylie like this.
  18. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

It gets a bit of a bad rap. The highs are very high, but then the lows are very low. Its ironic that the season contains probably my favourite ever episode, and yet is one of my least favourite seasons. Am bored with the Angel-Connor stuff. The Connor-Cordy relationship is awful. Its probably Fred's weakest season and the love triangle with her, Wes and Gunn is weaker than it was in season 3. The Angelus arc has its problems (he was a better villain on Buffy IMO), and the direction of Cordy and the Jasmine arc was pretty poor for me.

19. fauxindigo

fauxindigo Potential

Angel Season 4 is the best in my opinion.

It is the scariest, most intense season. The Beast is one of the best baddies in the buffyverse as far as monster design and effectiveness on screen. Habeas Corpses is legitimately scary af.

The only downfall is Cordelia's fate this season. Other than that, the episodes all seem important (even Lorne's Vegas episode), the story is intricate and Season 4 is such a turning point in the series and the entire Buffyverse. Plus even though she dies midway through, this season is the peak of Lilah's character. She's so much fun to hate.

Season 5 is the next best to me because it makes up for Cordelia's absence by giving her a great final episode & gave us replacement comedic relief in making Harmony a regular (the girl earned it by that point), changing the setting and introducing Illyria! Very daring season.

What makes me love Season 2 so much is DARLA. She is such a force of nature and this season, she is so entertaining.

Still Season 2 is too disjointed. Season 4 is as others have said, very cohesive.

20. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

And too much Connor, and the boring Jasmine arc. Its like S4 of Buffy, the highs are very high, and the lows are very low.

Important or not to the story, that Lorne Vegas is a turkey:p

Fool for Buffy likes this.