• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anne plot hole?

Im rewatching buffy for the hundredth time and a question occurs to me...
In anne, the hell dimension 100 years equals a day on earth... since Buffy was down there for a while...wouldnt she be older back on earth? Yet she celebrates her 18th birthday later in season 3 by normal age timeline.
Help me. Is this a plot hole? Or did I miss the explanation for this?

Those in that dimension aged normally. Therefore, Buffy was only a few hours, a day at most, older when she came out (emerging back into this world probably like a second or two after falling into the Hell dimension, so if someone else was in the room they'd see Buffy, Ken, and Anne fall through with Buffy and Anne climbing back out a split second later).

If you want to ponder questions of this season, then focus on how a teen girl not particularly streetwise managed to get a job and a motel under an assumed named so that she couldn't be found. (I know it can be done, but I don't see how Buffy would know how to even start doing so.) If she was being paid under the table then she probably got little more than tips which isn't enough to pay for a motel room (I'm assuming it was a motel, if it was anything else then it raises even more questions on how she got it).

Hmmm...someone should write an AU fanfic of where Buffy ran to LA to run into Gunn's gang...anyone know of such a fanfic? (It could even fit the shows if Buffy saved Gunn's life and as a favor he helped set her up as Anne.)

It could even fit the shows if Buffy saved Gunn's life and as a favor he helped set her up as Anne.
I like this theory. Buffy was retired or on break from the demon slaying, she likely did good rescuing people from the danger she saw on the streets. Well she was reluctant to get involved in Anne's affairs because she was a person who knew her from Sunnydale she wouldn't pass by others under immediate threat.

It is plausible she made friends with know-how before she met Anne and Ricky. Not close personal buddies she keeps in touched with but like coworkers at the diner who got her the job and set her up with the fake ID.

Last edited:
thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Given that Gunn knew Anne, Buffy could've easily run into Gunn later. The gang might mistake Buffy for a vampire first, though that could be disproven soon enough...unless they thought she might be some other demon type
No this is why her boyfriend was old when he got out. He spent his whole life down there but it was only a short time in the normal world.
But this is what confuses me about the hell dimension. Let's say Anne's bf, Ricky was in the hell dimension for 5 days of normal human time, then by the logic you are saying this should mean when he pops back out of the hell dimension he would still be young. But we see him as old.
Even if Buffy was just in there for a few hours, when she pops back out shouldn't she be like at least in her 30s?

But this is what confuses me about the hell dimension. Let's say Anne's bf, Ricky was in the hell dimension for 5 days of normal human time, then by the logic you are saying this should mean when he pops back out of the hell dimension he would still be young. But we see him as old.
Even if Buffy was just in there for a few hours, when she pops back out shouldn't she be like at least in her 30s?
No, time moves quicker in the hell dimension in relation to Earth time. So Ricky went through the portal and was in hell for decades. On Earth it was only a few days hence why he came back old yet time had barely passed on Earth. A day in hell could be a nano-millisecond on Earth. In the hell dimension, aging is not on fastforward, it's normal time. Basically it's all relative. Does that make sense?

No, time moves quicker in the hell dimension in relation to Earth time. So Ricky went through the portal and was in hell for decades. On Earth it was only a few days hence why he came back old yet time had barely passed on Earth. A day in hell could be a nano-millisecond on Earth. In the hell dimension, aging is not on fastforward, it's normal time. Basically it's all relative. Does that make sense?
But I thought we saw Ricky with Anne in that episode? And then Anne told Buffy that Ricky had been missing for a few days.
This is why I'm confused.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yeah, he was missing a few days in our world, but it was years in the other dimension. However Buffy was there in that dimension barely any time, hours at most, so she only aged by hours, and in our dimension seconds would have past.

But I thought we saw Ricky with Anne in that episode? And then Anne told Buffy that Ricky had been missing for a few days.
Ricky was with Lily at the beginning of the episode, he went off to give blood or something then got intercepted by Ken and taken to the hell dimension. When Lily finds Buffy, Ricky has been missing for days Earth time. However, Ricky is now old, having been in hell for decades, and been spat back out onto Earth. Buffy and ANne got taken to the hell dimension but were only there for a couple of hours so not much Earth time passed.

The only other way I can describe it is if you imagine you have two tvs side by side and both are playing the episode. You call one Ken Dimension tv and the other one is Earth dimension tv. You decide to watch in Ken Dimension time so you allow the KD tv to play normally whilst you put the Earth Dimension tv on super slow. The KD tv does not appear as if time moves quicker as you are watching it at "normal" speed, however in relation to ED tv, KD tv has Buffy heading back to Sunnydale and hugging Joyce whereas ED tv only has Buffy waking up from her Angel dream. Does that make sense?

We see Ricky young BEFORE he was sent to that other dimension.

Once on that other dimension, a day on Earth is about a century there. So Ricky lived decades as a slave before Lilly/Anne, still on Earth, even realized that Ricky was gone.

Ricky is sent back to Earth (for some strange reason the demons sent them back before they died, though I have theories on why they did so), not even remembering his own name, and muttering, "I'm nobody." No one could tell him apart from a homeless guy deeply schizophrenic. He probably was crazy by that time. And so he dies of old age (perhaps even an inability to take care of himself, poisons gained in the factory, etc) a few days later. This is when Buffy finds him, only recognizing him by his tattoo, and her first guess is some demon sucked the life out of him, causing him to rapidly age, not that he was a slave for several decades in another dimension where time goes by much faster than it does on Earth.

I don't know why I am having such a hard time understanding this lol.

But to me, it still seems like if Buffy and Anne were gone let's say 2 earth hours. They still should have aged to be in like their mid-twenties or so.

Unless you guys are saying it was only like a few seconds earth time, then I understand the concept.

Cohen
Cohen
That’s exactly what they are saying. They were not gone any significant amount of time on earth.
We see Ricky young BEFORE he was sent to that other dimension.

Once on that other dimension, a day on Earth is about a century there. So Ricky lived decades as a slave before Lilly/Anne, still on Earth, even realized that Ricky was gone.

Ricky is sent back to Earth (for some strange reason the demons sent them back before they died, though I have theories on why they did so), not even remembering his own name, and muttering, "I'm nobody." No one could tell him apart from a homeless guy deeply schizophrenic. He probably was crazy by that time. And so he dies of old age (perhaps even an inability to take care of himself, poisons gained in the factory, etc) a few days later.
Ricky drank drain cleaner and committed suicide. As for why the demons sent them back, it's probably because they're too old to work and thus useless and didn't want a bunch of old people cluttering up the area. It sounds like there's a metaphor in there about old people being sent away so they're not a burden on their younger relatives.

I think the biggest plot hole in Anne is that, Ken is abducting runaways that they won't be missed but, because of the time difference between the two different dimensions, he must be abducting a huge amount each day to keep the mines working. Ricky was gone a couple of days before he was spat out, but Ken would've needed someone to replace Ricky and all the others that got spat out. If Ken abducted 5 runaways on the Monday and they got spat out on the Thursday, he would then need to abduct another 5 runaways to replace them. If that is 10 people a week then that is 520 people a year which seems an awful lot to be going under the radar. I'm surprised Gunn's crew didn't pick up on it since they would've been in LA at the same time.

probably because they're too old to work and thus useless and didn't want a bunch of old people cluttering up the area. It sounds like there's a metaphor in there about old people being sent away so they're not a burden on their younger relatives.
I'd think it would be less work to simply kill them or toss them through a dimensional chute into yet another dimension rather than send them back. They could technically eat the human cattle or sell them to others who will, though the humans may work with toxic chemicals that might give them a bad flavor or worse.

Still, it works as a metaphor of how our society only values those who can be put to work, and an example of how we humans are a bit demon like ourselves.

Though the math of how many would be taken is an interesting one...they could be working more than one city (which can lead to the same area), however.

I believe the estimate is that there's at least a million underage runaways (sometimes closer to 3 million) who take to the streets of the USA every year, though I don't know if this is counting those who hide at say a friend's house for a week or so and then return home and how many are repeat runaways, but I do know not all parents report their kids as they're the ones to kick them out (which is technically a crime though I've never known a parent to be prosecuted for it) or other reasons like not wanting to be investigated for abuse or risking the loss of child support, so the estimate may be lower than the actual number. Having been a runaway myself, I find it disconcerting that in 18 years, off and on, online, I've only met one online (a handful offline) who once lived a hardcore runaway's life as I did. Which makes me wonder what happened to everyone I knew, aware that I'm happier not knowing. :confused:

I doubt they actually needed the labor, Anya once claimed that her job as a Vengeance Demon was to provide amusement for the Lower Beings, a Demon class or rank that D'Hoffryn and that guy who revived Darla belonged to. Perhaps Ken was servant to an enity who psyically fed on despair, like Darkseid, and it was more about the hurt than the kill.

Top Bottom