• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Another Coronavirus thread

TriBel

Scooby
western cultures may have a latent prejudice against religions that require face-covering.
My son was in Manchester before Christmas and saw an elderly white woman approach three young Chinese women who were wearing anti-pollution masks (there are a lot of Chinese students in Manchester plus a big China Town). She asked them to remove the masks. They politely refused. Her response was "You're in England now. We don't wear them. When you're in our country you follow our rules". Interesting article here:
We are all niqabis now: Coronavirus masks reveal hypocrisy of face covering bans

@Buffy Summers - Isn't it just? He was tempted to intervene but held back because of the woman's age. He was furious and apologised to the younger women after - they laughed it off. It made me so angry.

Last edited:
Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
That's awful :(
Priceless
Priceless
Who walks upto a stranger and says that? Or says anything?! If she was really English, she'd have just tutted loudly but said nothing :)

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
WHO warning today that this isn't over and likely the worst is yet to come.

In the UK we're going to open pubs on Saturday to welcome the second wave.

TriBel
TriBel
Coronavirus: "Hold my beer".

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I've suspected lately that it may have to do more with what we've grown up believing about people who cover their faces: that they're trying to hide something.
It goes much further than that. Goes back to prehistory and cavemen, and how we are, or were, conditioned to spot for anything hidden that could be an animal of prey ready to pounce on us. That trait has evolved over time but it is still an underlying aspect of our psyche. You can see this played out with many designs, in which part of a word is obstructed, or part of a face. It's to draw attention to that which is hidden.

There was much more on it, but it's been probably a decade since I had to study the correlation between them and my memory is foggy.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Our Coronavirus numbers are really, really bad (500+ per day), won't be surprised if there will be another lockdown by next week...

We went from less than 10 to over 500 in just a month thanks to the majority of people thinking that it was over and wearing their masks on their chins... written laws here are viewed as nothing more than a mere recommendation.
WHO warning today that this isn't over and likely the worst is yet to come.
WHO also claims that a vaccine won't be ready in a year yet numerous conpanies claim that they might be able to start manufacturing vaccines as soon as September, thoughts ?

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
WHO also claims that a vaccine won't be ready in a year yet numerous conpanies claim that they might be able to start manufacturing vaccines as soon as September, thoughts ?
Ooh where did you read that? Earlier I heard was maybe January but Fauci says that’s being very optimistic.

It goes much further than that. Goes back to prehistory and cavemen, and how we are, or were, conditioned to spot for anything hidden that could be an animal of prey ready to pounce on us. That trait has evolved over time but it is still an underlying aspect of our psyche. You can see this played out with many designs, in which part of a word is obstructed, or part of a face. It's to draw attention to that which is hidden.

There was much more on it, but it's been probably a decade since I had to study the correlation between them and my memory is foggy.
I mean sure it’s kind of jarring but we’re getting used to it. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Just like we adapt to a lot of things. Like you mentioned earlier, in parts of the world, many people wear face coverings- this isn’t just for religious reasons but to guard against the weather and cultural/decoration. Lots of people in the East wear face masks because of pollution regularly. Lots of us wear scarves or face masks in winter in the west. Workers in the west wear masks and face covers for their jobs regularly (health care workers, welders, machinists, etc) or recreation (motorcycle riders).

Let’s be honest with this- this issue has been politicized by a small segment when there was no reason for it to be. Not everyone even needs to wear a face covering all of the time. I have not worked in public since beginning of March. I worked from home until end of May. I only wear a mask when I go out which is only to the store or to run errands. Lots of people do work in public and have to wear a mask all the time. Am I excited about wearing a mask all day when school starts end of August? No. But I believe it’s important and necessary. It helps protect others and their mask-wearing helps protect me. We are considering shields rather than masks so I’m not sure yet.

I heard a mayor on the radio today (wish I could remember who) talk about wearing masks as an act of kindness toward others.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I heard a mayor on the radio today (wish I could remember who) talk about wearing masks as an act of kindness toward others.
Yeah, that's how I look at it. I don't like it, but if it might help someone else I'll do it until there's more tangible science to the contrary. It doesn't really hurt me to do it.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I mean sure it’s kind of jarring but we’re getting used to it.
I'm not. And I don't like how it's affecting me out in public. I don't talk to people, or not as often, and I tend not to look at people or look down or away from them.I don't smile as much at people either. In general, I try to actively avoid people wearing masks as it makes me uncomfortable.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
They could never do this unless they handed them out for free, but it would be great if masks had to be the clear ones.
Especially if this is indeed the "new normal"
And considering we haven't finished the first wave yet... lol... don't even want to think how miserable the second wave will be.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
There's a little community of learning disabled people here, and one just can in, he didn't quite have enough money to buy what he wanted, but gave me a fistbump thank you. Realised that I probably shouldn't do that now,but it was so innocent.

Spanky
Spanky
That makes me sad. Seriously.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
gave me a fistbump thank you. Realised that I probably shouldn't do that now,but it was so innocent.
Give 'em a pound nightshade! You have no idea what even some minor physical contact like that can do for people's well-being.

Just don't do that little boom explosion think because that's really played out.

@nightshade I know the time we had a meeting here and I reached out to shake the reps hand and he pulled it back in disgust like there was something wrong with me. It didn't occur to me why I was rebuked for awhile. Made me feel bad. It was only hours later and I was like 'duh'

Last edited:
nightshade
nightshade
It didn't cross my mind until afterwards that I shouldn't have.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I don't understand people that just wear masks around their necks, or even just carry them, if you're going to wear a mask then wear it.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
lol people at my work do that when they're at their desk. Like, just take it off! lol
It's hard to continually don and doff the thing without actually touching the mask though.

emspace
emspace
Have you not figured out that witchcraft thing, then?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
nightshade
nightshade
Don't worry I'm not getting them, I just had an email about it.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
But if you're pulling it down around your neck, you are touching it anyway.
When I wore one that one day I did not. I used the straps to pull it down, not the mask itself. I was the good boy. 👍

nightshade
nightshade
I'm wearing my Vikings hoody today, but I dislike the design and they have a two month delivery time.

TriBel

Scooby
There's never been a vaccine for the common cold and they've been looking for that since 1950s. Similarly, they haven't found a vaccine for AIDS after 30 years. With rhinovirus (the cold) there are too many strains (over 160). Last time I looked they'd identified 13/14 strains of Covid (I think this was in the US). My worry is that there are government pressures on, and financial imperatives in, finding a vaccine for Covid. 12 months is a ridiculously short length of time to find a vaccine (I think they've had permission to skip certain parts of the usual trials). I suspect governments are leaning towards an optimistic outcome so as not to send populations into despair (light at the end of the tunnel sorta thing), while medical community are being more cautious.

Priceless Who walks upto a stranger and says that? Or says anything?! If she was really English, she'd have just tutted loudly but said nothing :)

@Priceless Northern forthrightness love...and whatever happened to Yorkshire straight-speaking? 🤣 I think she must have been Ena Sharples in disguise. I'm good at tutting (until I'm pushed then I lose it and the kids drag me away)...maybe we're just too bloody refined for our own good? 😄

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
There's never been a vaccine for the common cold and they've been looking for that since 1950s. Similarly, they haven't found a vaccine for AIDS after 30 years. With rhinovirus (the cold) there are too many strains (over 160). Last time I looked they'd identified 13/14 strains of Covid (I think this was in the US). My worry is that there are government pressures on, and financial imperatives in, finding a vaccine for Covid. 12 months is a ridiculously short length of time to find a vaccine (I think they've had permission to skip certain parts of the usual trials).
Exactly. That's why the notion that we should hunker down and await a vaccine is folly. You've no way of knowing if there ever will be a vaccine. But if they can do something to lessen conditions and cut hospital stay (which they are supposed to have) that would be a big help for the people that do have worse conditions.

Top Bottom