• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Another ridiculous undertaking..

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
You showing your age there .They don't make figures out of lead for a long time. And you right the figures look very good.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Ha! I am indeed.
Even though I've made & painted hundreds of the newer plastic figures I still prefer the old lead alloy ones...just felt more substantial.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Maybe because they felt sold in you hands instead of like there nothing there.

Bloody William

Potential
Ah! Printed card figures. I used to paint D&D figures for some friends of mine many years ago so I always think of the old lead alloy figures.....(Though they are all plastic now).....
Guess that was you can produce as many different characters as you want....they look quite good btw :)
Once you start getting into lead/plastic figures things start getting expensive! They do look much better though, but I want to keep it simple, cheap and available to everyone.

Each character is made up of the following (preliminary) stats

Speed (SP): How far/fast the character can move
Close Contact (CC): The characters ability to fight in close combat
Ranged Weapons (RW): The characters ability to use weapons when firing or throwing
Magic (MA): The characters magic ability
Strength (ST): How strong the character is
Tolerance (TO): The characters ability to resist injury
Attacks (AT): The number of attacks a character can perform per turn
Save (SA): The characters defence against attack

Each character has upto 4 hit points (HP)

Each character also has:
Role: eg Slayer, Watcher, Student, Faculty
Allegiance: Good, Neutral, Evil
Leadership: How quick they take charge/attack
Level: All characters move up levels as their stats increase

So Buffy would look something like this (folding the card is pretty simple but I'll post a little step by step later)

ChaseRules

Sineya
Looks nice . Pluys it saves a lot over figures that cost a lot. How do you get the stats workrd up like you did .

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
I guess the Hearts & Skull under the base represent Life points......as these are under the character piece how do you keep track of them?
Are you intending to use stickers? Because you wouldn't want to write on them.....

Bloody William

Potential
Looks nice . Pluys it saves a lot over figures that cost a lot. How do you get the stats workrd up like you did .
Most characters have a movement value of 6, some have an extra value, up to another 6 in this case.
The next 5 stats are based on an average of 3. So Buffy would be above average in them all except magic, level 1 Buffy has no magic skills. She has 2 attacks whereas most would only have one. And the saves are lower= better

I guess the Hearts & Skull under the base represent Life points......as these are under the character piece how do you keep track of them?
Are you intending to use stickers? Because you wouldn't want to write on them.....
Yes. To keep track the value is always in the top left. So when first hit character is placed so 3 hearts are in top left position, if hit again rotate the figure so 2 hearts in that position etc.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Yes. To keep track the value is always in the top left. So when first hit character is placed so 3 hearts are in top left position, if hit again rotate the figure so 2 hearts in that position etc.
I think I must be missing something here....The Hearts/Skull are fixed to the figure & are face down when it's standing......How do you rotate the Hearts without laying the figure down.....And that would mean that when a character only had one life left they would be face down, so you wouldn't be able to see who it was...? o_O

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
Tht what i was wondering .

ChaseRules

Sineya
You put a lot of hought into this . I seeing the love here . Who is netral . Is it most people who arnt fighting or what ?

Bloody William

Potential
I think I must be missing something here....The Hearts/Skull are fixed to the figure & are face down when it's standing......How do you rotate the Hearts without laying the figure down.....And that would mean that when a character only had one life left they would be face down, so you wouldn't be able to see who it was...? o_O
As I said this is still very much in its infancy, so I welcome this kind of feedback.
Imagine 2 characters fighting, using the battle system that I'm still working on a vampire gets hit by Buffy, that character is then laid down with the 3 hearts in top left, if Buffy hits it again rotate it again so the 2 hearts are in the top left with the character still laid down, etc. I see what you mean about not knowing who it was when face down. Do you think this would be a problem? Wouldn't you remember? Maybe a name on the bottom of the base?

You put a lot of hought into this . I seeing the love here . Who is netral . Is it most people who arnt fighting or what ?
Thanks. And I appreciate the feedback.
The good/neutral/evil thing is probably going to be used for when a character chooses a side in a fight/task/challenge. A neutral character could be tempted either way, Anya, chipped Spike, Jonathan? Maybe there should be 5 allegiances? Good/Good Neutral/Neutral/Evil Neutral/Evil?

ChaseRules

Sineya
Thanks. And I appreciate the feedback.
The good/neutral/evil thing is probably going to be used for when a character chooses a side in a fight/task/challenge. A neutral character could be tempted either way, Anya, chipped Spike, Jonathan? Maybe there should be 5? Good/Good Neutral/Neutral/Evil Neutral/Evil?
I see what you mean about the figures & maybe a name :confused:
I like the five allegiances better . Some people could be netural but for a good reason & also for a evil reason.
For example Anya would be netural but help out if it in her interest & chipped spike at first while unable to hurt them
would have givin informstiom to other people if it would have hurt them.

ChaseRules

Sineya
So how far along are you . I like to see your take on thec Slayer background.

Bloody William

Potential
Ok..moving about...

Characters can move 0-12" per turn...
There are 5 ranges of movement:
0...Can only think of Balthazar in this range!
0-3 (which is a roll of 1 6 sided dice/2 (1d6/2) rounded up)
up to 6 (most characters)
up to 9 (6+1d6/2 rounded up)
up to 12 (6+1d6)

Buffys SP stat is +1d6, so she can move up to 6 inches and then a roll of 1d6 further
Note: changing direction uses 1" (things such as terrain, opening doors, climbing etc will alter the distance too, more later)

eg..

So how far along are you . I like to see your take on thec Slayer background.
Not that far into it yet, and things will be altered as I go..Getting it posted here will help to make it work better/spot flaws/etc

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
As I said this is still very much in its infancy, so I welcome this kind of feedback.
Imagine 2 characters fighting, using the battle system that I'm still working on a vampire gets hit by Buffy, that character is then laid down with the 3 hearts in top left, if Buffy hits it again rotate it again so the 2 hearts are in the top left with the character still laid down, etc. I see what you mean about not knowing who it was when face down. Do you think this would be a problem? Wouldn't you remember? Maybe a name on the bottom of the base?
Must admit I was never a fan of the D&D type games (I just used to paint the figures for other people) so I don't remember how they did it?

After having a think about this my preference would be for each player to have separate stat sheets for each character they are playing. This would contain their current experience level & their health (Plus any other variable stats you may introduce to your game). Be they tick boxes, cards like you had on the base of your character, or even just three tokens (three for full life....take one away for each hit till none left = dead). It would remove the need to lay the character down while they are supposed to be fighting.....?

ChaseRules

Sineya
I bet people love you for thst since it takes a lot of patience & i know lot of people don't have it :D

Bloody William

Potential
Fighting part one....
For close combat style fights the bases of the characters must be touching.
(First stats change: Leadership stat is now 4 for buffy)
If the attackers arrow is touching the back of the defenders base there is a -2 to the initiative roll, touching either side a -1, and touching along the front no change.
A real fight doesn't consist of one person attacks & then the other and so each round an initiative roll is made; 1d6 +leadership and then the adjustment as above. Highest score attacks first or chooses to try and flee or cast a spell.
The attacks stat indicates how many dice to roll, 2 in Buffys case, a score of the close combat stat or above is a hit. The defender then rolls any dice that have succeeded and a roll of Toughness or above results in a successful defence.
The rounds continue with another initiative roll... The winner of the initiative can choose to continue to fight or to flee (or cast a spell).
Next will be the use of weapons, but i will try and do an example of a fight because I am sure this sounds more confusing than it really is?!

Top Bottom