• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Article Anthony Stewart Head Game For Reboot

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
"‘Buffy’ icon Anthony Head back as ‘The Stranger’ on Netflix" New York Post 02/14/2020

A ‘Buffy’ reboot is in development (with no announced date yet) and Head says he’s game to appear in it, if asked. “Yes. I wouldn’t know what as, because Giles has aged a little bit,” he says. “Maybe I’m the head of the Watcher’s council now. But to be honest, of course I would. It was so formative.”
In other news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still mostly dead. No word about "Ripper," either. And of course, Anthony Stewart Head is generally abbreviated as A.S.H. Still, direct quote from an actor attached to the franchise and published in a real newspaper's website. That's the most information we've gotten in over three months. Discuss?

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Not in the UK - he tends to be Anthony Head here (though it's an American paper). This is the website for the business he runs/owns with his wife - his signature reads AH.
In the US, the Screen Actors Guild doesn't allow for duplicate actor names. So presumably, an Actor named Anthony Head had a SAG Membership at some point, and the UK Actor had to use his middle name to distinguish himself from the earlier actor. Granted, this is an presumption on my part, I can't any reference to another actor by that name, so if he does exist, he must be very obscure, as you only need one spoken role to get a SAG membership. It's also very possible he went by "Stewart" to avoid future confusion with similarly named actors.

Also, the Moderators asked us to cut back on the abbreviations, so best practice is to state the full name first, then abbreviate, which serves the moral purpose of avoiding confusion for the reader. So, ASH, AH, either one is fine now, although, in my humble opinion, I think Tony Head is far too familiar.

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
AH is Alison Hannigan, so AH for Anthony Head doesn't work even in the Buffyverse.
NileQT87
NileQT87
Harrison Ford (there was a silent actor) has no middle name and was initially credited with a meaningless "J.", but was allowed to drop it. Equity (UK) doesn't allow for duplicates either, hence Peter Moffett/Davison and David McDonald/Tennant!

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Not that anyone asked him to be in the reboot or it's still going, but he said "of course" he'd agree to be in it.

So if the reboot had Head as Head Watcher, would that make you more or less inclined to see a reboot?

Priceless

Scooby
I'd have watched it anyway, but it would make me more interested in the show if Head were in it, and even more so if he were playing Rupert Giles

Btvs fan

Scooby
Not that anyone asked him to be in the reboot or it's still going, but he said "of course" he'd agree to be in it.

So if the reboot had Head as Head Watcher, would that make you more or less inclined to see a reboot?
Given it would probably only be a cameo or a 1 episode deal, it would be kind of minor tbh

Mr Trick

Scooby
I expect there to be cameos by a few of the original cast. Its not as if it would take up much of their time. With a decent creative team involved they will be confident it'll be decent. Having re-watched Lost recently Monica Owusu-Breen was involved in probably the best season of that show.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
If the reboot sees the light of day, I don't see anyone from Buffy doing more than a cameo appearance in it. It would be just too distracting and "borrowed glow" otherwise.

Priceless

Scooby
Given it would probably only be a cameo or a 1 episode deal, it would be kind of minor tbh
I'd be happy if he was just shown as a snapshot in a photo album, or something even more minor. Just so we know Rupert Giles exists in this new universe :)

TriBel
TriBel
LOL! I want reruns of his Nescafe Gold ads in the commercial break! I loved those ads. :))

TriBel

Scooby
I'm more than happy for a reboot to happen and if there's to be a cameo by (or sustained role for) anyone, it makes sense it's Tony Head. I can't remember the details of the reboot but presuming it's set in 2020 and maintains a continuum, it doesn't stretch the imagination too far for Giles to still be involved with the WC. There wasn't much else going on in his life...watching was his life (just as it was Quentin's life). Any change in mythology or practice can be down to Giles having uncovered new knowledge or having had his ideas changed by his relationship with Buffy. Works for me.

I expect there to be cameos by a few of the original cast. Its not as if it would take up much of their time. With a decent creative team involved they will be confident it'll be decent. Having re-watched Lost recently Monica Owusu-Breen was involved in probably the best season of that show.
I've just been rereading a thread "elsewhere" on the reboot and found this:

"In a conversation with NBC News about her show, ‘Midnight, Texas’, Owusu-Breen spoke about how the show’s theme of outsiders coming together struck a chord for her, personally.

“I’ve never walked into a room and felt completely like I fit in,” she said to NBC News. “There’s not very many half-Spanish, half Ghanaian women in the world, so I get this idea of feeling different and finding your tribe, finding the people who, whether or not you’re exactly the same, you get one another.”

She continued of her relationship with the rest of the set, “We all got that – feeling that you don’t fit in the regular world. We’re sitting there in Albuquerque [where the show was filmed] all of us, and we all felt that we’re the ‘midnighters’ in the middle of a world that feels different.”

I think she could make it work - Tony would be an added bonus.

Priceless
Priceless
He looked so young (and suave) in those Nescafe adds :-)

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Of course he would be a good cameo. Giles would lend instant credibility to whomever they cast as Watcher. Star Trek would routinely use a pilot Cameo from a prior Trek star. And Highlander the Series cast no less than Christopher Lambert to appear in the pilot, and it worked perfectly. If it is done correctly, it adds legitimacy to the characters.

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
Mrs P and I finished watching The Stranger yesterday on UK Netflix.
A good show if you like thriller/suspense/crime stuff, it's based on the book by Harlen Coben. Excellent cast including ASH, Richard Armitage (Spooks, North & South, Robin Hood's Guy of Gisbourne - I know a few of the BB ladies will like that), Jennifer Saunders (Ab Fab, French and Saunders...duh!), Siobhan Finneran (Downton Abbey, Happy Valley) and Hannah John-Kamen (Killjoys, Misfits, Ant Man and the Wasp).
ASH has a smallish but important role, which I won't spoil for you.
A recommended lockdown boxset watch 👍👍👍

Top Bottom