1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anya Calling Spike William

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Priceless, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

Just watched Sleeper and I thought Anya called Spike 'William'. I checked a transcript and that has;

ANYA

Shh. (presses her finger to his lips) No questions. No talking. I can't help it. I can't stop thinking about you and us and our brief but unforgettable time together. I mean, it's—why else would I be here? I mean, it's not like I'm snooping around looking for proof that you're some sort of wacked out serial killer. (laughs) I don't know why I said that. Forget I said that. It's craziness talking. It's just nerves. Nerves. Nerves and-and horniness. Oh, just shut up, William, and take me. Take me now. (breathes hard)

Does she call him William? If she does, why?

2. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

It suggests intimacy? Spike probably starts every time somebody uses his Christian name, instead of the nickname he uses on the vampire playground.

Does Xander ever call Anya Anyankah?

Priceless likes this.
  3. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy BFF of Sour Patch Kid

Sineya
    Yes she does call him William and I think she's just trying to be personal since she is supposed to be turning him on. Like calling him William is more gratifying to Spike because it suggests she wants him, not just a vampire that's good in bed. But Anya was also forced to think of all that on her feet so it's fair to say she didn't actually think it through and just said it accidentally.

TriBel, OccaQuokka and Priceless like this.
  4. Priceless

I don't think he ever does. He's always so desperate to separate Anya from her past.

I was surprised because she always talks to Spike like they were two demons together surrounded by these humans. Being demon is what bonds them together, and by using his human name, it's as though she wants to put distance between them.

5. Fool for Buffy

Sineya
    That's possible I didn't think of it that way. But maybe it's not about Spike, just that after being turned a second time Anya is going to try not to be reminiscing about demon days anymore. Like when she was human the first time she still had memories of being a demon but her second run as a demon left her so distraught that things like talking with Spike about missing the good old days just isn't something she wants to do anymore.

Priceless likes this.
  6. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

The first time Anya lost her demon powers, they were taken by force. The second time, she CHOSE to give them up.
    The first time Spike was forced to change his ways was because of the chip. The second time, he CHOSE to get a soul.

Spike and Anya are still somewhat on the same wavelength.

7. Priceless

Later in the episode Anya says 'I used to tell the truth all the time when I was evil'. She's says it very matter of factly, so I don't think she's really trying at all to distance herself from her demon days.

Maybe when she says William she's talking about William the Bloody, not human William at all. In the following episodes Spike is referred to as William the Bloody several times.

8. Fool for Buffy

Sineya
    That's true Anya does say that the gang should accept that William the Bloody is back in Never Leave Me. But as far as the I used to tell the truth line I don't know that she is reminiscing, just her saying the first thing to pop in her head to defend herself, even if it's a very useless defense.
    I like this observation. When you look at it that way you realize the two characters actually have very similar storylines throughout the whole show. But being on the same wavelength doesn't mean you still feel connected with someone. And I really don't think Anya and Spike had any connection or respect for each other like they did in earlier seasons post Entropy.

TriBel and Priceless like this.
  9. TriBel

TriBel Scooby

BH! Just wrote this once and lost it!!

Google is your friend (in my case - the only one) :( This from Wiki - "Anya (Аня) is a Russian diminutive of Anna, derived from Hannah which means "gracious" or "bringing goodness" in the original Hebrew". I've read about an overlap between Buffy and Anya via Buffy's middle name before (there's also Annie in S3). If there is - William could send us back to Dead Things - it could also send us forward to Touched (the last is based on my speculations). If it is the case (and, TBH, S7 is full of overlaps and a backwards - forwards dynamic) then there's the intimation that whatever Anya is saying/feeling is also what Buffy herself is saying/feeling. I've quoted Wiki in full because I can't believe there isn't intended irony in Anya's name.

As an aside - and I think it's a step too far to the left - her name is also a Berber name. Berber is spoken in Africa and I'm only mentioning it because I've seen speculation that Lloyd was a vengeance demon. In Berber it means Melody or Rhythm - Melody's interesting when we have a Harmony. Personally - I think that's coincidence.

"Don't thank me". I don't mean anything by that :) - it's just that Spike's voice (basement - Get it Done) popped into my head and I was compelled to write it! :confused:

Priceless and Fool for Buffy like this.
  10. Priceless

Do you mean Anya is saying/feeling whatever Buffy is saying/feeling only in this episode or throughout Season 7?

11. TriBel

TriBel Scooby

LOL - ask me an easy question like "What's the meaning of Life" or next week's lottery numbers? (both probably involve 42). I don't think it's quite as "non-tricksy" as that. I do think there's a connection - for instance, Anya says what she feels - Buffy bottles it up. I'll be in trouble for getting too theoretical about this but here goes. I'm oversimplifying. Anya talks like my youngest son who has Autism. She uses language very literally - and she says things others wouldn't. So she says "I need to pee" whereas most folk (including Buffy) would say "I need to use the bathroom". It's a metaphor (can't remember what sort - synecdoche or metonym). I don't think it's any coincidence that she's direct when B&S are prating about on the landing saying everything except what they want to say. It could be that the connection is here. I don't think it's necessarily every incident but I do think it has relevance. Strangely (or not) Andrew does something similar - "I really need to urinate" in Touched (?) and it's easy to twin him with her - and twin him with Spike (and Spike actually says to Andrew - "don't tell anyone I said this" - I know it was about onions but the sentiment remains (although this could be a problem because Andrew draws attention to form). Then there's Anya's remark about "cannon fodder" - does this take place at the same time Buffy's worried about "casualties sounding so casual"? Also - doesn't Anya call slaying "murder or killing". It could be that Anya's use of direct language is saying more than Buffy's "speechifying". I haven't thought it through but I'm guessing the language connection is fairly consistent...and I'm making it all up!
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 27, 2017 ---
    Also - just thought of this. When they come back from the hospital Anya is both concerned about Xander and angry about Xander. Buffy I thing is also vacillating over Spike - that's probably why (IMO) you have that exchange of looks when Xander asks how her date went. - she looks to Wood - Wood to Spike - Spike down to Buffy. It could go on for ever. It's only at the end of the episode that she tells Spike to stop - again - with no speech. Anya voices her contradictory concerns - Buffy doesn't.

Priceless likes this.