• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anya/Giles vs Anya/Spike

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Anya had a moment shall we say with both Giles and Spike, which do you think could have worked as a relationship?

Yes, I know that she was with Xander, and Spuffy was happening, but if those weren't there, which do you prefer?

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
I really dislike Xanya and Spuffy.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Anya/Giles, for sure. In just one episode they managed to have more chemistry than most other couples (including Xander/Anya) in the rest of the show. I also think it could've been an interesting pairing, due to their physical age difference and then their mental age difference, as well. It always struck me as odd that an 1120-year-old former demon would fall for a teenage boy (18, but still). Especially as Xander is on the more immature side when they fall in love in S4.

The Anya/Spike one never made sense to me, the same way that Faith/Spike doesn't make sense to me; they are just far too alike. Both are demons that can no longer be what they were but don't really fit properly with humans, at the same time. Both understand the world and the people around them more than most and aren't afraid to point out the things they see to those people around them. I think it would be like dating yourself, with those two.

Priceless

Scooby
I ship Anya/Giles. Giles would have been far more supportive and understanding of Anya. The two of them could have spent hours discussing history and demons and life. Whereas Xander was so young, with little life experience and very fixed views, Giles had lived a little and Anya would have bought out the Ripper in him. I could see the two of them having lots of fun together.

Serenityrose

Townie
Anya/Giles

Granted I loved Anya/Xander but I can't deny how great their interactions were together.
The funniness of them running the magic box together, Tabula Rasa and thinking they were engaged, and that great scene in Grave where Giles comes back and they hug.

Honestly I wouldn't have been opposed to a romance between them. They had a great vibe.

Oh also in regards to Spike/Anya, admittedly I'm a Spuffy and while I liked their season 4 interaction and even some of their season 7 interaction I think the reason they wouldn't have worked is because they both would be removed from the core scoobies. There wouldn't be that direct tie in.

Last edited:

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I liked seeing Anya and Spike together in Entropy but their connection was about bonding with someone like themselves because they were both rejected by who they actually wanted to be with so it's not a long term pairing.

I pick Anya and Giles their scenes in Tabula Rasa aren't even funny to me because they would actually make sense together as a couple.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Emma does comedy best, and An-ya and Rupert's engagement was some of the best the show had. Nothing is likable about the fourth and fifth act of season six.

Angel6

Potential
I don’t know why but I really like Anya/Giles! He’s very tender with her and quite protective. I guess he’s more fatherly-but I like it!

AstridDante

Potential
Goodness I find both pairings quite bizarre. If I had to pick I would say Anya and Spike albeit, I couldn’t see it working in long term. She would drive him bananas lol

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
It's a difficult choice because both ships work but in different ways.

Giles/Anya are like an old married couple albeit older guy/younger wife and you can just see them squabbling together over the years about silly stuff.

Spike/Anya are more of a girlfriend/boyfriend vibe where they just kind of chill out together, complain about their day and then sleep together.

AstridDante

Potential
Both of these pairings are odd in that I couldn’t really see them working. Giles/Anya were hilarious in TB but the age difference is a bit ick to me. Anya/Spike were more a port in a storm in Entropy so I couldn’t really ship that pairing. It was funny how she tried to get with Spike again in S7 but he was all about Buffy

😂😭 Yes of course!!! That’s true Anya is hundreds years old. I don’t care though her and Giles still looked strange to me albeit it was funny

Puppet
Puppet
Which age difference? The one where Anya is over 900 years older? :P

thrasherpix

Scooby
I think Spike could more easily tolerate Anya's domineering and quirky ways than Giles (who came close to firing Anya), though Giles/Anya would be funnier. I think I'd have preferred making Spike and Anyanka somewhat sympathetic Big Bads (or at least working for a Big Bad, who is NOT the First, for awhile) in season 7 rather than the s7 that we got.

Last edited:
Top Bottom